Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#156316 - 20/04/2003 23:29 where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet?
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
Searched in the FAQ and read several posts. Still I need some basic guidance on how to set up both the Empeg and my comp (using Win98 still), using plain English, for use via the ethernet connection. I do have a ethernet card installed and have the correct cable. So now I need step-by-step directions on what to do next. OR give me a URL if it already exists.
Thanks!

#156317 - 21/04/2003 03:45 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: CurlyKicker]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
If you've got the correct cable and emplode is installed, it should be as simple as to boot up the player, load up Emplode and the Empeg should be found automatically (using DHCP).

#156318 - 21/04/2003 07:39 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: BartDG]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Unless he has no DHCP server. I would set the IP address of my computer to 192.168.1.1 and the IP address of the empeg to 192.168.1.2 (both with subnet of 255.255.255.0).

Edited by Meatballman (21/04/2003 07:41)

#156319 - 21/04/2003 07:42 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: JBjorgen]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
In that case it assigns itself a link-local IP address, and the fun part is probably adding a route on whatever box you want to talk to it from.

But I know not enough about Windows to suggest anything there.

#156320 - 21/04/2003 13:40 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: JBjorgen]
CurlyKicker

Sorry but I don't know what a DHCP server is. I've already tried to use the ethernet connection a few times to no avail.

I'm not sure how to set the IP on my comp. Is it Control Panel>Network> then what? I have tried setting the "TCP/IP -> D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter" Properties to a specific IP address. But I don't know if that IS the correct place to do it.

As for the Empeg, when I start up Emplode and get the "Select Player" window and hit "Options", under the "Connection" tab there's only room for one "Specific Address". Is this where I input the IP? If not, WHAT do I input there, if anything? And this should be checked when trying to connect via ethernet?

OR, in Emplode, do I go to File>Configure Player>Networking? Then input the IP address and Netmask. I DO leave "Default Gateway" blank?

After all is said and done, because I've set an IP Address manually instead of Automatically on my comp, I no longer will be able to log onto the internet with my cable internet connection right? And when ever I change settings in the Control Panel, ie. the IP Address, I have to restart the comp.

Seems laborious, but perhaps in the end the dividends will pay off.
Thanks for the help!

#156321 - 21/04/2003 13:57 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
I think you should be able to leave your computer set to automatic, and it should figure out a local link IP address for itself (you may need to reboot the PC without the cable modem connected so it doesn't give you an IP address), you can also leave the Empeg set to Automatic configuration (Player configuration, networking and you have to be connected via serial or USB to set this) and it should also get an IP address in the same range.

When opening Emplode select network broadcast under the options meneu, and hopefully it should find the Empeg.

If it still doesn't work you could see if anything in the FAQ helps.

#156322 - 21/04/2003 14:55 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: Chimaera]
CurlyKicker

Ok, I set the ethernet adapter back to Automatic. I rebooted the computer with and without the cable modem connected to the comp. I got an IP Address both times. Both times it was the same address.

I also set the Empeg back to automatic in Networking and tried to log on with the Network Broadcast. No dice.

I did find a program that tells me my IP Configuration/Ethernet Adapter Information: IP Address: 24.171.158.135
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 24.171.158.1
DHCP Server: 66.75.160.60

Obviously DHCP is enabled. I also saw it was checked in "TCP/IP Properties>WINS Configuration>"Use DHCP for WINS Resolution"

Seeing that my IP is static (is that what it means if it doesn't change?) I inputed 24.171.158.136 in the Empeg's manual IP address properties. That didn't work either.

[rant] I'm really surprised that there isn't a step by step guide anywhere to read (with pictures too!). The Empeg manual is useless. I'm sure that I know more about computers than the average Joe, hell, I'm in the process of building a new comp from the ground up, and I know that most computer users can't do that. So if I can't get this ethernet connection working then there must be a lot of ppl out there that can't either. Shoot, most ppl don't even know what a IP Address is! Now I know why I waited a year to try and get this thing hooked up. [/rant]

Thanks, I needed to vent a little

Oh and BTW, it's a Category 5 UTP patch cable that I'm using. That is the correct type yes? (If it isn't I'm going to hang myself )

#156323 - 21/04/2003 15:06 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I rebooted the computer with and without the cable modem connected to the comp. I got an IP Address both times. Both times it was the same address.

DHCP Server: 66.75.160.60

Obviously DHCP is enabled.
This doesn't make any sense at all.

If you don't have your cable modem attached, then there's no way you could be attached to a network to get a DHCP address. Do you have some other network connection? Is it a USB-connected modem or do you have ISP-specific software(in case software is doing something weird by emulating a DHCP server)?

Regardless, I imagine that this:
I inputed 24.171.158.136 in the Empeg's manual IP address properties.
ought to work. Are you plugging it straight into the back of your computer? If so then you'll need a different cable called a crossover cable. The one that you attach to your cable modem with (assuming it's ethernet at all) might be one.

An easier solution might be to get one of those firewall/router deals at your local computer store.

#156324 - 21/04/2003 15:10 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

If you can't or won't get one of those routers (it'd improve your computer's security if you did), then you'll have to either reassign IP addresses every time you want to attach to the empeg, which might require a reboot in Windows, or you'll have to have two IP addresses assigned on the computer. That would require two ethernet cards or, if it's possible to assign multiple addresses to one card (it ought to be, but it's Windows, so who knows?), a hub.

I still think that a firewall/router would be your best bet.

#156325 - 21/04/2003 15:13 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Are you absolutely sure you're using a crossover cable? Straight-tru cables won't work when connecting the Empeg directly to the network card (NIC).

If you're absolutely sure you're using the correct cable, then do this :

* go to your network card's properties and fill in the IP adress manually. (and thus disabling DHCP) Fill in : 192.168.0.1 for subnetmask enter 255.255.255.0
* run emplode with the serial (or usb) cable connected and go to the "options" menu.
* disable "network broadcast" (=DHCP) and enter a "specific adress". Enter 192.168.0.2.
* exit emplode and remove the serial cable.
* reboot pc and Empeg.
* run emplode again.

At this point, your pc should see the Empeg and all should be peachy.

#156326 - 21/04/2003 16:10 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: BartDG]
CurlyKicker

Well, unbeknownst to me, a "Category 5 patch cable" doesn't neccessarily mean a crossover cable. It could be a crossover type or straight through type. From reading an earlier post, I thought "Category 5" meant crossover cable. I have two cables, both givin to me by the internet cable companies I've used, to go from the ethernet card plugged into a PCI slot, to a cable modem. Perhaps one is a crossover type.

I'm going to have to learn how to discern the difference between crossover and straight through cables by looking at the cables themselves. Does anyone have any knowledge in regards to the markings on the cables and their differences? In otherwords, does anyone know how to spot a crossover cable just by looking at it?

#156327 - 21/04/2003 16:14 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm really surprised that there isn't a step by step guide anywhere to read (with pictures too!).
The reason is one I cited at the top of this FAQ entry:

Troubleshooting ethernet connections is a tricky business for professionals, let alone newbies. If you're setting up ethernet for the first time just for the purpose of connecting to the Rio Car, my advice is to forget it and just use the USB port. You really should have a working LAN in place for other reasons (such as file and printer sharing or broadband internet access) before you even think about plugging in the car player.
One thing that FAQ entry doesn't show is a picture of the physical topology of some likely configurations. I could add that. Between that and the troubleshooting steps, there should be enough information to get you going, but the problem is, I can't create a complete and generalized "how to create an ethernet LAN" document... that's just out of my scope.

You have to understand that the car player is just another ethernet device, and if you don't have the prerequsite basic knowledge of how to get computers onto a LAN at all in the first place, I don't want to take on the responsibility of being the all-knowing source of basic LAN tutorials.

#156328 - 21/04/2003 16:18 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Yes, put the cable's ends next to each other and look through the RJ-45 jack. You'll see that the different wires in the cable are colour-coded. With a straight through cable, the colours are in exactly the same order on both ends of the cable. With a crossover cable, four wires are switched.
I don't know by heart which ones are switched but this doesn't really matter : if both ends of your cables have got the same order colour coding, you've got the wrong type of cable.

#156329 - 21/04/2003 16:29 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If it was labeled patch cable it is probably a straight through. The crossover's I have found in stores are labeled crossover. On the package at least the one I bought a radioshack last week actually has crossover printed on the cable.

Matt

#156330 - 21/04/2003 17:45 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: BartDG]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

To be complete, not that anyone really cares, if you hold the connectors so that the metal end is pointing up and towards you, the wires are numbered 1-8 from the left to the right. Wire 1 will be swapped with wire 3 and wire 2 will be swapped with wire 6. The other four wires are unused in most forms of ethernet, including 10baseT, which is what the empeg uses.

Also, Cat5 refers to the bandwidth that the cable can effectively transmit. IIRC, this largely has to do with how tightly twisted the pairs are. Cat5 is the standard for 100baseTX, and is more than capable of transmitting 10baseT.

#156331 - 21/04/2003 18:11 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: CurlyKicker]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
For a good grounding in ethernet wiring(which has great deal to do with what you're trying to do here) take a look at http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=20 for wiring basics. TCP/IP is a bit trickier (and by this I mean A LOT TRICKIER) to sum up succinctly.

I agree with Tony, why not use USB while learining about ethernet & TCP/IP? When you're ready to tinker a bit more, try again.

However, if you _really_ want to use ethernet and can't get it sorted out, a hardware firewall/NAT/router/hub is the thing you should get. Installation is pretty straightforward (for the most part). It then takes care of issues like assigning your empeg a TCP/IP address, detecting which type of cable you have & adjusting accordingly as well as providing _much_ greater security than you have now with your W98 box exposed directly to the Internet.

For good background on home routers/firewalls take a look at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/pg/hw_router_bkgrounder.htm . Their information is pretty up to date & (as far as I can tell) unbiased.

-Zeke

#156332 - 21/04/2003 18:51 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I agree with Tony, why not use USB while learining about ethernet & TCP/IP? When you're ready to tinker a bit more, try again.
He already has been... he's been around the BBS long enough. I think he's interested in trying out all that Hijack and the other apps offer. So it's cool that he's getting support here on the BBS. He'll have it sorted out soon enough.

I liked that Linksys link. I'll put it in the FAQ entry.

I'm also strengthening the wording of the existing entry, about having a working LAN in place before adding the car player...

#156333 - 21/04/2003 19:04 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting, I was re-reading that Linksys page, and I take exception to one of the statements made on it:

Straight-through cables are used for connecting computers to a hub. Crossed cables are used for connecting a hub to another hub (there is an exception: some hubs have a built-in uplink port that is crossed internally, which allows you to uplink hubs together with a straight cable instead).
Okay, I know why they said this, because n00bs understand it best this way. But the truth is that this statement gets it backwards. All ports on a hub are crossed internally except the uplink port. It's a nitpick, I know...

#156334 - 21/04/2003 19:42 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: CurlyKicker]
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Hi,just my 2 cents here. I also have a cable modem hooked up via ethernet cable.I first tried to connect both using a hub.I couldn't get that to work.Members suggested I try a router,which probably would have worked but I ended up getting a second ethernet card,which I used to connect to the Empeg using a static address as suggested by others.Just make sure you use a crossover cable. The one I bought is label "crossover" right on it.

#156335 - 21/04/2003 22:45 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: CurlyKicker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm really surprised that there isn't a step by step guide anywhere to read (with pictures too!).
All right, but this doesn't mean I'm suddenly the font of all knowledge for basic n00b ethernet setups.

#156336 - 22/04/2003 00:06 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: CurlyKicker]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
I found the information in this link invaluable for the software configuration side of things

#156337 - 22/04/2003 06:01 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ethernet? [Re: CurlyKicker]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Fair play to you my friend for having the courage to make the same admission of computer illiteracy that I have to - I dread the word
simply
in any instruction manual, it's a guarantee that it isn't.

Thank the rest of the posters on this thread for giving me the confidence to zip off now and set up an ethernet connection myself!

#156338 - 22/04/2003 06:10 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Nice FAQ entry Tony.

#156339 - 22/04/2003 09:51 Re: where'sa step-by-step how-to connect via ether [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks. I'll probably touch it up a bit more as time goes on.