Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#167691 - 25/06/2003 16:09 Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'm holding in my hands a shrinkwrapped copy of Galaxies... the box is heavy! The servers go live at 7am PST tomorrow morning.

So how many of ya pre-ordered or are planning to play Galaxies?? It's presold more than any other game in LucasArts history... to which i say DUH!

Here's to hoping it pulls us out of our financial slump!

#167692 - 25/06/2003 17:58 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I'll be playing, at least just to see if I like it. Haven't ordered the game yet though. <goes to do that now>
ricin.us

#167693 - 25/06/2003 19:49 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Too used to dynamic MMORPGs now to go back to a static one. Plus I still don't trust Verant all that much, even though for some reason I did buy Planetside.

#167694 - 25/06/2003 22:01 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
never heard of it.

does that answer your question?

#167695 - 26/06/2003 07:38 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I pre-ordered mine back in January. It will be delivered in less than three hours to my house, and I'm stuck at work for another 7.5 hours.

Our office administrator (secretary) called in sick today... coincidence?

#167696 - 27/06/2003 23:49 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: ricin]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Ok, I got the game in the mail today.

Of course, when I ordered it I quickly realized that I don't have a machine to play it on. All of my machines are running Linux, and the two that would be suitable to play the game on happen to be important machines (one's my main file server, and the other is my DNS, and MySQL server). So, I finally decided to make a Windows machine out of the Shuttle box I bought from Rob (thanks again Rob!), which has been sitting in my closet for a while. I promptly ordered new parts, and ~ $450 later I have a chip, video card, and RAM on it's way to me.

Until the stuff gets here (probably Monday or Tuesday) I get to stare at the box and read through all the stuff.

As a side note, a co-worker invited me to join a group already. They've had it all organized and everything for the past two months or so. Some people are WAY too into things. Not to say that I might not be in the future, but that's a little scary. Anyway, I told him I'll play the game for a few days or weeks and I'll join if I decide I like it and am going to continue playing.

On the bright side, now I'll have a machine prepared to handle Half-Life 2.
ricin.us

#167697 - 28/06/2003 15:08 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I was on the 3rd round of beta and ended up cancelling my preorder I'll wait for a couple months to buy it and try it again. Honestly, I had REALLY high hopes and maybe I just set my expectations too high, but I found it all rather boring. I ended up doing a lot of running around and being killed by bunny rabbits ...

#167698 - 30/06/2003 08:27 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: mschrag]
loren
carpal tunnel

hahah. see, that's why i don't get that kind of game in the first place. ALL YOU DO is run around and trade stuff. I watched a friend of mine play Everquest with a buddy of his last week and it was one of the most boring things i've ever seen. They were calling each other on their cell phones trying to organize groups and such, and trading rings and swords... I dunno. Just not my cup of tea. I can understand the role playing to some point however. There is some subverted sense of community somewhere in there...

#167699 - 30/06/2003 09:05 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I agree. This is just a story about someone who is out of touch. I can understand an online community (really?! ), but it's too much time and not rewarding to me at least.

Then again, I'm not a fan of multiplayer games in general.

#167700 - 30/06/2003 09:11 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
Tim
veteran

I never played any MMORPG before (unless you count MUDs and MOOs). A few of my friends tried to get me into EverQuest and I just didnt see any fun in it at all.

I have no idea why I think SWG is so much fun. One of my friends (who likes EQ and is already not liking SWG) has a theory. He thinks you need to be hardcore into Star Wars. I guess that really does have something to do with it.

One of the things I like is the sense of community. There is a cantina that always has people in it - and active conversations. The players don't just stick their characters in there while they are away. The entertainers dance and play and bands are going and characters are dancing to the music and talking to each other at the same time. It really is a cool dynamic to witness. That helps the enjoyability. Probably a lot.

Another is the immense possibilities. Do you want your character to join the Rebellion/Empire/Smugglers/any other of a ton of factions? What profession does your character follow? Questions like that make all the 'running around and trade stuff' worth it. The running around is a big part (how else do you get from point A to point B?), but the trading part can be minor depending on the profession involved.

It has some problems, but I think this game is some of the most fun I've had since Half-Life/TFC. Of course, I've been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember

#167701 - 30/06/2003 09:36 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
While I understand the need for it, I have a problem paying $15 a month on top of the game itself in order to play it. And the game's useless by itself, so if I decide that I don't like the online stuff or it doesn't work for me or it's too much, then the $50 game purchase was wasted.

I see a few potential fixes for this.
  1. Don't charge for the online service or make it a lot less. $15 a month is really quite a bit, especially for someone who doesn't have a lot of free time. Maybe have an alternate per-hour charge. Or a per-hour charge with a monthly cap. Or go the Neverwinter Nights route where the servers are user-run but interactable, maybe with a connecting framework controlled by the developer.
  2. Don't charge for the game itself or make it a more nominal fee. AFAIK, it's useless by itself, so it doesn't make sense to me to charge for anything more than manufacturing and distribution costs. Making what I assume is a very large client downloadable might be out of the question, but a $5 or $10 charge at tle local shop is probably reasonable.
As it is, I have no interest in paying at least $65 just to see if I like the game, and then well more than that if I want to play it, even if just on weekends.

Of course, MMORPGs are probably cash cows for you guys, so all of this is probably just pissing in the wind.

#167702 - 30/06/2003 09:46 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I totally agree. I probably would have tried one of these games out if I didn't have to pay the huge entry fee. I realize that with a lot of them you get some free time to play, but honestly I'm not willing to shell out over $100 (since this is the sort of thing my wife and I could do together) and then find out that I'm not interested enough to keep playing. Actually I've been avidly anticipating SWG, but now that it's here I simply don't have the time to play.

#167703 - 30/06/2003 11:01 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
There is some subverted sense of community somewhere in there...

Yeah, MMORPG's are, in my estimation, glorified MUD's with pretty graphics instead of text. The game itself is like 5% of the experience, the main thing people are after is interaction with other players. If people spent even half their MMORPG time interacting with real people and improving their real lives, I think the world would be a better place.

Of course, no disrespect is meant to those who play these games casually (or even to those who are similarly addicted,) but I've had several friends ruin their lives (or several years of them) with MUD's, and I see the same characteristics in many of these MMORPG games. I've had friends lose relationships, flunk out of school, lose jobs, and generally fsck up their lives to feed their online gaming addiction.

Then again, we humans are never short on ways to screw up our lives with addictions to all sorts of things, and maybe being addicted to a computer game and the pseudo-social contact that comes with it is more healthy than being an alcoholic or a gambling addict... But the effects can be just as bad, from what I've seen.

#167704 - 30/06/2003 11:18 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

While I understand the need for it, I have a problem paying $15 a month on top of the game itself in order to play it. And the game's useless by itself, so if I decide that I don't like the online stuff or it doesn't work for me or it's too much, then the $50 game purchase was wasted.
A lot of people say this. And i agree it's a lot to pay unless you are really into it... i'd go for an hourly model rather than a monthy any day. BUT... in our defense... it costs a TON of money to have that many server running 24/7, with support, bandwidth, and admin costs on top of it. Add to that the fact that they are continually adding content. It's not just a static game, which is one thing about MMORPG's that i do find interesting. They are adding huge new features as the game progresses. Eventually you will be able to hop in your ship, fly up into space, and go to other planets as well as do full on space battles. People don't work for free, so the money to pay all the above mentioned developers, admins, support staff, etc, has to come from somewhere, and $50/game sure as hell won't cover it. You'd be amazed how LITTLE we make out of that amount in profit.

oh, and the first month is free, so it's $50 for the game and one free month. =]

#167705 - 30/06/2003 11:24 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

"Illegal procedure. Improper quoting of a posted message. 5 yards, repeat first post."

#167706 - 30/06/2003 11:45 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

LOL. yeah, Bitt does say he understands the need for it...

i got a little defensive... i'm just sick of hearing everyone say they don't wanna pay the montly fee... and they want all their music for free....hahah. =]

#167707 - 30/06/2003 11:47 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tonyc]
Tim
veteran

In reply to:

Then again, we humans are never short on ways to screw up our lives with addictions to all sorts of things, and maybe being addicted to a computer game and the pseudo-social contact that comes with it is more healthy than being an alcoholic or a gambling addict...

One of the guys I was talking about in my previous post (addicted to EQ) was really addicted. It worked out best for him. He use to be a hardcore drinker and pot smoker. He figured out that if he skipped drinking and smoking, he could survive on less sleep and feel better at work, ie, more time to play EQ.

He quit the game (and has no desire to start back up), but still doesn't drink or smoke. Given that isn't a very popular scenario, but it has happened.

#167708 - 30/06/2003 11:49 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
TheRhino

Loc: Aurora, CO
I think the MMORPGs that are based off of films, games, etc. will do well compared to the others. For instance, there will be MMORPGs based on Marvel Comics, Lord Of The Rings, and Warcraft coming out in the near future. Those will do better than the unique stand-alone games ( sans Everquest), such as Planetside, Asheron's Call, etc.

Loren, is SWG a better online experience than Battlefield 1942? I know they are different genres, but I wonder which one will be occupying most of your time...

#167709 - 30/06/2003 11:57 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

i'm just sick of hearing everyone say they don't wanna pay the montly fee...
I think actually he was saying he didn't want to pay the monthly fee and for the box. I have 0 problem with the monthly fee, but it's the initial startup cost that's kept me out of the game. I just don't like feeling "double billed". Even with the free month of play time, it's still hard to swallow a $100 entry fee (for two people) for something that costs $30 a month to play.

From what I've heard, though, these games aren't the easiest way to make a buck. I hope it works out for you guys, but I think ultimately it will. A lot of people have been looking forward to this one.

#167710 - 30/06/2003 12:01 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: loren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Bitt does say he understands the need for it.
Actually, I think what Tony meant is that you quoted be but responded to his post.

Regardless, yeah -- I do understand, and the mutable content is cool, but it's hard to pay $50 for a game and then have to pay more on top of that. Obviously, the recurring fee covers the continuous costs, and the folks reaping those benefits should pay for that. It seems to me that it might work better if the game were distributed for free, LucasArts figured what the average number of months someone would play is and then prorate the cost of the game across that many months and forget about the free months thing. I think you'd have more people play if they could just pay $20 up front instead of $50.

But I'm not privy to LA's finances or sales numbers, so what do I know?

#167711 - 30/06/2003 12:04 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Actually, I think what Tony meant is that you quoted be but responded to his post.
Stuffy nose, Bitt?

#167712 - 30/06/2003 12:13 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
One of the guys I was talking about in my previous post (addicted to EQ) was really addicted. It worked out best for him. He use to be a hardcore drinker and pot smoker. He figured out that if he skipped drinking and smoking, he could survive on less sleep and feel better at work, ie, more time to play EQ.
A year or two ago, I remember a comment in a PC gamer column saying "I'm thinking about giving up my EverCrack addiction for a heroin addiction. At least the heroin addiction doesn't show up on your monthly credit card statement."

The back page article of the last Game Developer magazine was on this topic as well. There's going to be some cases of litigation where SOE gets sued because of the addicted-to-everquest problem. No joke.

#167713 - 30/06/2003 12:14 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: Tim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

He quit the game (and has no desire to start back up), but still doesn't drink or smoke. Given that isn't a very popular scenario, but it has happened.
So if marijuana is the gateway drug, maybe Everquest is the gateway at the other end, to come off your addiction. Hey, they could market that...

"Everquest: It's the first step... the next 11 are up to you."

#167714 - 30/06/2003 12:18 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

There's going to be some cases of litigation where SOE gets sued because of the addicted-to-everquest problem. No joke.
Ah, yes. Let's blame the game makers...

While I am very sympathetic to the addiciton, I am sickened by the fact that a case like this could make it to trial. What's next? Suing the makers of beanie babies for the thousands of old widowed ladies who are addicted to collecting beanie babies? How about antique dealers? Oh, I know, I should sue Ben and Jerry because their ice cream is so fscking good that I've bought 3 pints in the last week and a half!

Let's make sure that everything in the world is mediocre, so that nobody gets addicted to it. I love this country.

#167715 - 30/06/2003 12:29 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

There's going to be some cases of litigation where SOE gets sued because of the addicted-to-everquest problem. No joke.

How in the hell is that going to work? "Your Honor, they made a good game, and I'm so fundamentally weak-willed due to my own ignorance and obsessions, that they owe me money."

I had a slight glimmer of hope a few months back after a couple of overweight girls tried to sue McDonald's and the judge threw the case out. He said something to the effect of we make our own decisions and need to be accountable for them, nobody forced the girls to eat there. For a while I thought I was the only one who still believed that.

#167716 - 30/06/2003 12:33 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't recall the text of the article, but I think it was an extreme case where the user allegedly committed suicide right after logging off of EQ.

#167717 - 30/06/2003 12:44 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

but I think it was an extreme case where the user allegedly committed suicide right after logging off of EQ.
I am neither a lawyer nor a legal historian, but haven't most or all of the "Someone made a (song | book | movie | game) and made me do something" cases been thrown out or adjudicated in favor of the authors of the (s | b | m | g) and not in favor of the tragically deceased?

#167718 - 30/06/2003 12:52 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tonyc]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I can see it now:

We’ve detected that you have spent too much time playing our game so you will now be logged off for the rest of the month in order to preserve your health. Please find some other healthy activity to engage in such as reading a book or riding a bicycle so that you can spend your time wisely until you are allowed to log in again. We are sorry for any inconvenience this might be to your gaming experience and we look forward to providing you gaming service in the future.

#167719 - 30/06/2003 12:56 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Don't laugh, one of the suggestions in that GD article was quite similar to that.

#167720 - 30/06/2003 13:09 Re: Obligatory Star Wars: Galaxies post [Re: tonyc]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
While I am very sympathetic to the addiciton, I am sickened by the fact that a case like this could make it to trial. What's next? Suing the makers of beanie babies for the thousands of old widowed ladies who are addicted to collecting beanie babies? How about antique dealers? Oh, I know, I should sue Ben and Jerry because their ice cream is so fscking good that I've bought 3 pints in the last week and a half!
I guess there's a fine line between knowing one's target demographic and taking advantage of vulnerable minorities...

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >