Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168830 - 02/07/2003 21:15 Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge...)
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
dbrashear:
>(* I seem to have a good memory for music, as long as there's
>no music playing that I can hear, but I have no ability to manage
>the spatial separation in my head, so it's all in mono. Very bizarre.)

This is pretty interesting. As a trained musician with a rather sharp memory for tunes, I'm in the same situation as you regarding hearing music in my head. But I NEVER noticed if it was mono or stereo before! Come to think of it, I think it IS all mono.

The only exception is when I'm very tired and, actually, falling asleep while working late at night. As my brain begins to release control of my body, snipits of full stereo, rich, lush sound and music may waft through my head. It's as if I had headphones for just a half of a second. It's times like that when I realize that all the music I conciously think of is always rather bland.

Perhaps this stereo-while-falling-asleep scenario has some similarity to how lush dreams feel and how flat and boring the world feels when you wake up. Can you tell I dream with all 5 senses and am very interested in how it all works?

All I have to say is, please don't let me dream again about those damn lobster insects crawling on my ceiling. Ok, so there were only two of them, and one got fed to my dog, but it was still annoying.

#168831 - 02/07/2003 21:31 Re: Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge [Re: FireFox31]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
This is pretty interesting. As a trained musician with a rather sharp memory for tunes, I'm in the same situation as you regarding hearing music in my head. But I NEVER noticed if it was mono or stereo before! Come to think of it, I think it IS all mono.

I have no musical training. My wife says I sing off-key (which doesn't surprise me, since with a tape recorder I can demonstrate that what I sound like to me is not what I sound like to anyone else).

#168832 - 03/07/2003 07:27 Re: Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge...) [Re: FireFox31]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

As my brain begins to release control of my body, snipits of full stereo, rich, lush sound and music may waft through my head.

Same thing for me. However, when I notice it and try to pay attention to it (or change to a better tune...) it snaps back to the usual "quiet" background sound.

#168833 - 06/07/2003 19:35 Re: Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge...) [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Same here. The brain is an interesting and scary thing. Especially when you're in the process of falling asleep. And when you ARE asleep. I'd love to figure that stuff out.

#168834 - 06/07/2003 22:26 Re: Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge...) [Re: DWallach]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Same thing for me. However, when I notice it and try to pay attention to it (or change to a better tune...) it snaps back to the usual "quiet" background sound.

Yes, the brain is a scary thing indeed. Related somewhat to this, I use to do a lot of VHF contesting (amateur radio) VHF contests have a lot of voice contacts compared to other contests, so over the course of the weekend, you could spend 24hrs trying to hear voices in the noise.

And for probably a week afterwards, you hear voices in air conditioners, refrigerators, road noise, you name it. And you always hear your call sign, which most hams recognize as readily as their given names. Makes you nuts...
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#168835 - 06/07/2003 23:12 Re: Mono Music Memory? (was: My Empeg is off to ge [Re: n6mod]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I've yet to do a contest. I will say that after spending several days on a train I heard phantom "track sounds" for a few hours afterward. But I've never heard my callsign in random noise, thankfully