Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#16889 - 06/09/2000 09:51 Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Not sure if this has been requested before but I would like a to have a storage compartment to put in the empty docking sleeve when the empeg is moved from one car to another.

I have a Honda del Sol which will be the primary home for my empeg but that car will be parked for the winter and I will be driving my CR-V around with my empeg connected to the Pioneer Head unit I have in that vehicle. So now when the Spring rolls around and I pull the empeg out of the CR-V I will have a gaping steel hole in my dash. I would like to have a compartment the snaps in place like the empeg... maybe even with a handle on it so I can carry it around with stuff in it :) ok, maybe a little too far here. But I hope you guys get the idea.
And this way I won't have to rip apart the dash again every fall to put the empeg back in the CR-V and if I were to take the CR-V on a trip then I would have the ability to just pop the storage compartment out and put the empeg in it's place.

Thanks for listening empeg co. I look forward to ordering this next week.

#170... I got SN: 080000101 12 gig Blue!

#16890 - 06/09/2000 10:25 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Actually, this is an easy one. Time for a second empeg!!!

What you would need is an empty shell of an empeg with the car connector on the rear (to lock it in place).
Instead of any electronics, it would just be the empty metal box. You would probably need to install your own
handle and metal face with some kind of false front on it. Maybe Rob would sell you an empty shell, if you ask
him nicely / offer enough money...

Paul G.
Q# 15189

P.S. - Thinking about it, you could probably get the connector only, and construct your own box, if needed. This
is all based on the assumption that the locking is done at the car connector - I don't know if there is anything in
the front of the empeg sled that you could latch to.

Edited by pgrzelak on 6/9/00 06:31 PM.

#16891 - 06/09/2000 10:25 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty d [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, interesting idea. If done correctly, it could also cover the hole in such a way as to help prevent a break-in.

Let me explain. For a while, my GTI had a full-pull-out CD player. I was able to find a cover plate to cover the hole left behind when I removed the stereo. It was a genuine VW part- it was the plastic piece that's used to cover the hole when they sell you a car without a radio in it.

I did this for a few years: Each time I got out of the car, I pulled the radio out and took it with me, covering the hole with this plate. Since all of my amp and speaker installation work was totally "stealth" (i.e., you couldn't see the speakers and amplifiers from outside the car), it looked like the car didn't have a radio at all. As far as a thief was concerned, there was nothing to steal, so my car was left alone.

It was only after replaced this stereo with a faceplate-removal model (I wanted anti-skip protection and they didn't make those in full-pull-outs any more) that I had my car vandalized. See, they break into the car anyway, looking to see if your faceplate or pull-out stereo is in the trunk or the glove box.

So the best stereo installation is the one that makes it look like there's no stereo at all.

Now, I don't foresee Empeg making storage boxes any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could find an existing car part that fit the bill. For instance, if you look at my new Honda, you'll see there's a little storage compartment that's almost the same size in my dash already. Perhaps that piece (or one like it from another vehicle) could be modified to slide into the empeg bay?

#16892 - 06/09/2000 10:40 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: pgrzelak]
ShadowMan
addict

Locked in place at the front of the sleeve, therefore a folding handle box would perfectly fit the bill.

Look at Tony's pic -->http://www.jps.net/tfabris/empeg/closeup.jpg

Mine is slightly different then that, sort of like a pocket. I will try and find a shot of it... actually at www.installdr.com if you go to the civic pdf there is a few shots of it there.

Would be sweet!

Unfortunately though, I don't have enough $$$ for a second empeg

#16893 - 06/09/2000 12:19 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
is this sort of what you are talking about? See the accessory pocket's beneath the Empeg?

I plan on putting my CD head unit in the top space there in the next week or so. Just gotta get a spot with Scotty the installer man.
*crosses fingers in hopes of avoiding the thump problem*

Tony, a "hole cover" type plate would be perfect. I would love to have that to cover up the hole so it would look like i have no stereo at all and remove the urge to steal my thousand dollars of amps and speakers. Hrmm. Anyone know where i could find such a part for a Honda Civic?

||| loren.cox
||| 12GB blue

#16894 - 06/09/2000 13:52 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Tony, a "hole cover" type plate would be perfect... Anyone know where i could find such a part for a Honda Civic?

I spent some time browsing at Majestic Honda, but only found one that covered a bigger-than-DIN-sized opening. Browsing their parts database is slow because of how they've got it categorized, but at least you get to see the drawings. I'm still looking. If you find the part, post it here...

#16895 - 06/09/2000 17:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: loren]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
loren,
-Get a relay from Radio Shack 1st, then it's like a charm and you won't need it.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#16896 - 06/09/2000 18:00 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Fwiw, you might be able to make something half decent looking with some 1/4" plywood, some duct tape and some trunk liner carpet...a box is a pretty easy shape. Maybe a staple gun if you went high-budget. ;-)

-Zeke

#16897 - 06/09/2000 21:28 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: Ezekiel]
buts
journeyman

Loc: sydney australia
what would be even better it the docking connector joined the aux in to the audio out so thoes of us how use the aux input to connect to the factory raido/tapeplayer could still hear the musice if we left empeg at home (not that you would)

andrew butler
sn 08000176 6G amber

#16898 - 07/09/2000 15:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: buts]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
This is starting to get very expensive. If I told you how much that connector costs, you wouldn't believe me.

The metalwork isn't cheap either. To put this in perspective, we currently make a sizeable loss on additional car mounts.

Rob

#16899 - 07/09/2000 21:36 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

I know some people in Taiwan who could quote you...we do some metal fab over there now. Let me know.

-Zeke

#16900 - 08/09/2000 07:09 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

All I am asking for is a simple plastic compartment to slide into the empeg bay. I know that half of the connector would cost $30. That's almost what I would pay for the whole unit. I am attaching a picture here as to what it looks like in my CR-V.

Now on a side note the CR-V doesn't have a doble-din slot... more like a din and 3/4s

Attachments
8-16245-small_spare_tray.jpg (535 downloads)

#16901 - 08/09/2000 07:32 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The connector costs rather more than that, in fact.

I realise what you're asking for you and I'll bring it up with our plastic desginers. I think it may work out too expensive though. The tooling on even a simple vacuum formed plastic part isn't cheap and we wouldn't sell many of these.

How much would you pay for one?

Rob

#16902 - 08/09/2000 09:34 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
ShadowMan
addict

Not $30... well the two part connector cost $60 doesn't it... I thought you said that in a post not long ago? well... anyways. :)

I'd prefer a somewhat cheaper part... $30 US would even be a bit much for it. Maybe some way to alter an existing pocket such as the ones used by Honda as it is, held in by friction might even be enough.

Maybe a poll or something seeing how many people would be interested in having something to fit the sleeve while the empeg isn't it the car/is in the other car.

Thanks for listening Rob and I hope to hear the results whether it be good or bad sometime soon.

Later.

#16903 - 08/09/2000 09:38 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I would be interested in a sleeve, or even a faceplate to cover the opening.

Paul G.
Q# 15189

P.S. - I would certainly be willing to pay the $40 to $60 mentioned by Tony as well.

Edited by pgrzelak on 8/9/00 05:52 PM.

#16904 - 08/09/2000 09:42 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

How much would you pay for one?

Well, you could probably purchase and modify some car manufacturer's factory part (like the pocket shown on that CR-V) for about $20.00. But it wouldn't necessarily fit perfectly, and might require some jerry-rigging to work right.

In order to get one that exactly fits the empeg sleeve without hassle, I would easily pay $40.00-$60.00. In heartbeat.

It would allow me to have the "stealth" installation I loved so much with my old CD player. I'd just keep the pocket in my glove compartment, then pop it into the sleeve whenever I left the car with the Empeg. Anyone walking by will see a storage compartment instead of a radio. Perfect.

One thing: It would have to flare out and cover the metal edges of the docking sleeve so that they weren't visible with the pocket installed...

#16905 - 08/09/2000 09:53 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Now on a side note the CR-V doesn't have a doble-din slot... more like a din and 3/4s

My wife has a CR-V and I've got an Accord. Her dash looks just like yours, and here is a shot of what mine looks like. Note that mine has a fold-down door on the front of the compartment, whereas the CR-V just has a hole.

I thought that the Accord scheme was also a 1.75-DIN layout because that little compartment looked too small. But then Dionysus went and proved me wrong by easily fitting two DIN stereos in the Accord.

It looks to me like the CR-V might take two DIN units if you don't use the factory radio. If you use an aftermarket CD player with one of those smaller faces (like Di did) you might be able to fit both. Does anyone have any more data on this? I'd check it out myself except that my wife won't be letting me near her dashboard with a screwdriver any time soon.

#16906 - 08/09/2000 11:54 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: pgrzelak]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'd be interested in a faceplace type cover that is designed to look like something not worth stealing. Either have a trail of wires dangling out or whatever...

#16907 - 08/09/2000 13:09 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
ShadowMan
addict

Well my girlfriend has no say in the matter and my screwdrivers will be hitting the dash this weekend!

The only thing I need now is to find someone with the adapter to let me take the empeg in and play it out through my Pioneer Head unit... looking for the link as I type.

Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my.

Anyone got a good link to an FM thingy that would plug into my empeg outs and go to my Pioneer head unit antenna input and let me listen to it through the FM?

Later.

#16908 - 08/09/2000 13:28 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well my girlfriend has no say in the matter and my screwdrivers will be hitting the dash this weekend!

If it's going into a CR-V, make sure to let us know how it goes and give us some pictures. I'm interested in knowing, because I can foresee a future where my wife's CR-V might one day contain an Empeg.

The only thing I need now is to find someone with the adapter to let me take the empeg in and play it out through my Pioneer Head unit... looking for the link as I type. Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my.

The Pioneer unit doesn't have an Aux-in? You don't usually have to resort to one of those adapters unless you're plugging into a factory radio.

Anyone got a good link to an FM thingy that would plug into my empeg outs and go to my Pioneer head unit antenna input and let me listen to it through the FM?

Oddly enough, if such a gizmo existed, Crutchfield would probably have it. In fact, I'm reasonably sure I've seen that sort of thing in their catalog before. Did you try calling them by telephone? Their phone reps are exceptionally good and can answer all your questions, even if their web site is mediocre.

#16909 - 08/09/2000 19:57 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
"Here it is. Crutchfield wants $80 US for it though. Oh my."

What do you know... I just bought one of those from a local dealer today. Are you sure you need the "CD-RB20"? The CD-RB10 will work if you are not planning on putting in a Pioneer CD Changer in the future. Plus the CD-RB10 is half the price...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Soy un perdedor..."

#16910 - 08/09/2000 21:42 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: bootsy]
ShadowMan
addict

I know I have a 12 disc changer that will be in use while I am using the empeg in my del Sol and my Girl is away in the CR-V. That's why I need the 20 and not the 10. :)

Oh yeah, I been meaning to ask... Are you a fan of Beck?

#16911 - 09/09/2000 11:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Oh well... thought I could save you a couple of bucks. The guy who sold the 10 to me said he was waiting for a 20 himself. He wanted to add his new Mini-disc without hogging the IP-thingy.

And yes I like Beck...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#16912 - 11/09/2000 05:33 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
ShadowMan
addict

ohh ohh.... after reading jbauers post I have this (possibly wonderful) idea for the sleeve that could fit the empty sled.

I know cost is a factor here but if empeg were to offer two flavours of the empty sleeve it could solve jbauers and many others problem.

Ok, here goes the pitch:
Sleeve design #1:
Empty pocket that fits into the cage and clips into place with a handle.
Sleeve design #2:
Same empty pocket as above, but with a docking connector attached to the rear to allow pass through of the aux inputs to an amp (at least one, better then none, and it could be selectable with a little toggle switch as to whether it goes out to the rear outputs or front outputs or both!!!) This would give users with a second head unit running into their empeg the chance to use their old head unit when they forget the empeg (if that's possible )

Any comments on this idea???

Sounds easy enough.

Later.

#16913 - 11/09/2000 06:48 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
ShadowMan
addict

empeg is in the CR-V. Goes with the dash perfectly except the Pioneer I have on top looks like sheat as the trim ring will not fit in with the empeg in place. Pics will be available shortly to show what I mean. A little bit of a rough job, A lot of panels have to be removed but nothing too serious. 2 Stereos would fit perfectly if the face of the empeg was a little smaller or the Pioneer trim was smaller... I will be working on the Pioneer to get it to fit.

but alas... the CR-V is a double-din! :)

Later.

Now to get the diode for the 12v constant.

#16914 - 11/09/2000 08:41 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The diode is for the 12v switched, not constant. If you can wait a week or so, we will have some pre-made plugin fixes for this problem (fits onto the ISO connector).

Hugo

#16915 - 11/09/2000 10:56 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the update on the CR-V. Good to know you can squeeze a double-DIN in there.

except the Pioneer I have on top looks like sheat as the trim ring will not fit in with the empeg in place.

If you look at Dionysus' pictures, he has a trim plate in front of his CD player (not the CD player's trim ring). I don't remember if this was a mounting kit or if he cut his own plastic piece for it. I cut my own.

If you want to cut your own plastic piece to make it look better, here is what I did:

Go to the stationery store and get:

1) Metal ruler
2) Very sharp x-acto knife
3) A cheap black 3-ring binder with a flexible plastic cover.

Use items 1 and 2 to measure and cut number 3 into a piece that perfectly covers everything.

If you post pics, put them in the "Installation Notes" section, not this thread.

#16916 - 11/09/2000 11:37 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

If you look at Dionysus' pictures, he has a trim plate in front of his CD player (not the CD player's trim ring). I don't remember if this was a mounting kit or if he cut his own plastic piece for it. I cut my own.

I cut my own as well..
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#16917 - 14/09/2000 13:50 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: rob]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...the connector costs rather more than that, in fact.

I've come across several references to the incredibly expensive docking connector that the empeg uses. Would a standard Centronics parallel printer connector serve your needs and/or cost less? It's got something like 36 pins available, and ought to be available in quantity at low cost.

Of course, when arguing from a position of total ignorance, it's easy for me to tell you how to do things.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#16918 - 14/09/2000 14:07 Re: Storage compartment to fit the empty docking bay [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Would a standard Centronics parallel printer connector serve your needs and/or cost less?

The connector needs to be designed to work with a not-quite-centered insertion. Same reason the connector wiggles, that's the reason they need a connector designed specifically for the task. A Centronics connector requires the operator to carefully line it up when connecting- it most likely wouldn't work well in the sleeve.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hugo, the hacker that he is, already tried one just to see if it could be made to work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >