Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#172367 - 28/07/2003 14:02 scalable chinese characters
wvloon
journeyman

Loc: Near Arnhem, Netherlands
My wife want's to do some stenceling of chinese charaters (common symbols like 'luck' 'love' etc). So I said, "sure I google & print them on transparant sheets for you" but all I can find are some crappy jpg/gif images. Needless to say that these are becoming extremely ugly when scaled up to A3/A4 sizes. Does anyone here have a resource where they have scalable versions ?
W@lly.nl ------------------------ Reg:1934/Mk1:158-Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-Amber(sold)/Mk2a:3273-Blue

#172368 - 28/07/2003 14:28 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: wvloon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think you're looking for a Kanji font, and an illustration program such as Corel Draw to do the scaling in.

#172369 - 28/07/2003 14:35 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, Kanji is Japanese. Although that could be what the computer world calls the font.

When I was still learning Japanese it was very difficult to find what you were talking about, at least for free. I even had a Japanese "word processor" that did an okay job of printing the characters, but still looked pretty bad scaled up. I suppose Google might find something for you, though.

Let me know if you find something. I'd kind of like to do this with some characters as well, while I still remember them

ps-my favorite Japanese character is the one for love ("ai"), just because it looks like a little man with a hat.

#172370 - 28/07/2003 14:46 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oops, sorry! I don't know what the name is for the chinese character set.

#172371 - 28/07/2003 15:06 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: wvloon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was just informed that you should try the following and see if it works:

Microsoft Word -> Insert Symbol -> Font: PMingLiU -> Subset: CJK Unified Ideographs

Then you can scale the symbol up to any size you like.

Lemme know if this works?

#172372 - 28/07/2003 16:25 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That's pretty good, Tony! The only downside is that the characters are a bit straight-lined and don't have that caligraphy look, but I'm impressed by the number of characters they jammed into there! I'm not sure how you find the correct one, though I was wondering how they would deal with the sheer number of symbols, as the Chinese has an insane amount. Japanese has fewer, since they got their alphabet from the Chinese but have additional alphabets (to make it easier for American high school students, I assume ).

#172373 - 28/07/2003 22:13 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
my favorite Japanese character is the one for love ("ai"), just because it looks like a little man with a hat.
Dammit... English needs a man-with-a-hat letter!

#172374 - 29/07/2003 02:27 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: tfabris]
wvloon
journeyman

Loc: Near Arnhem, Netherlands
Amazing how you seem to have an answer for the most bizarre questions. Although this is technically a perfect solution I now need some easy way to find the right symbols without getting a serious headache (did you see how many symbols they crammed into that font?). But hey let's make that my spouse's problem it's her 'project' anyway

Thanks for your help, if all goes well the end result may show up on our website which at the moment doesn't really deserve that name. The pictures are just there to support our request for a building permit to get us a new and non-leaking roof. The comments are in dutch for now to make it easy for the people from the city council (who now have a valid excuse to surf the web during office hours). With a bit of luck we should get a 24/7 internet connection within a few weeks after which I hope to run a decent website using gallery from home.
W@lly.nl ------------------------ Reg:1934/Mk1:158-Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-Amber(sold)/Mk2a:3273-Blue

#172375 - 29/07/2003 03:00 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: wvloon]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Although this is technically a perfect solution I now need some easy way to find the right symbols without getting a serious headache (did you see how many symbols they crammed into that font?)
Use Babelfish to translate your word into Japanese. Here's "love", for instance: "愛"

(You'll need to set your browser's "character encoding" to UTF-8 to see that character, probably.)

These ideographic characters usually mean the same in Japanese (Kanji) as they are in Chinese (Han), as the Japanese borrowed the whole system from the Chinese in the first place. (The pronunciations are typically different in the two languages though.)

Peter

#172376 - 29/07/2003 06:07 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: peter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

the Japanese borrowed the whole system from the Chinese in the first place
Are you sure about that? I mean, I said that in my post, but I just said they took the alphabet. As far as I can tell, though, the language is quite different, with not just different pronounciations but different words all together. Or were you just talking about the alphabet its self?

#172377 - 29/07/2003 08:03 Re: scalable chinese characters [Re: canuckInOR]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

What about 'T'. Thats kind of a hat!