Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#18790 - 02/10/2000 16:23 Re: AirPort again... [Re: n6mod]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Have a look at this site. The PCMCIA card seems to be effectively a Lucent WaveLAN/Orinoco card, but cheaper. It looks identical bar the differently coloured antenna, uses the same chipset and drivers under linux, and has an external antenna socket.

The access point unit is available with the same functionality of the Airport, plus more, and appears to be about the same price from what I've been able to find out so far.

Patrick.

Opinions expressed in this email may contain up to 42% water by weight, and are mine. All mine.

#18791 - 03/10/2000 03:36 Re: AirPort again... [Re: n6mod]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
That's more or less what Hugo did when our airports turned up. As you say, the software installed on the ickle PC inside the box doesn't allow the units to peer with eachother.

What Hugo did for the MX5 was to install one of the airports on the parcel shelf and run some UTP to the empeg unit.

We then took the WaveLan PCMCIA card out of the other airport and installed it in a laptop, which we can then run emplode on. The laptop's other PCMCIA network connection is connected to our office network, which allows us to drag and drop music from our network onto the empeg in the car.

Alternatively, you could probably get a PCI PCMCIA adapter card, and plug it directly into a Linux box, giving you full-blown routing capabilities.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#18792 - 03/10/2000 17:23 Re: AirPort again... [Re: Roger]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Actually, IPNR gives me full routing capability as well.

The IP portion of Open Transport (Apple's network architecture) is in fact Mentat Streams, so all the routing functionality is there.

IPNR is just the user interface that Apple forgot to write.

And when I go to OS X, the problem goes away...BSD routes just fine. ;)

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#18793 - 03/10/2000 17:25 Re: AirPort again... [Re: pca]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Cool! The inexpensive cards are nice, but the gem on that site is the "USB Antenna."

I've been looking for a USB solution for boxes that don't have PCMCIA.

Thanks!

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2