Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207701 - 24/01/2005 14:34 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
It was a painting by a well-known sci-fi artist who paints a lot of starships. Only I couldn't remember the artist's name. He's the guy that uses a palette knife to paint everything, so the paintings look kind of sloppy and messy, but very technological-looking. Every hull panel and rivet on his starships is a swipe of the palette knife. If anyone can recognize the description of the artist and can name him for me, please post here, it's driving me nuts.

Thanks. I know exactly who you're talking about, I can't remember his name, either, and it's now driving me nuts, too.

#207702 - 24/01/2005 14:48 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
I'm not sure about the wood, really. I mean... personally, I love it. To me, it looks like a finely-made acoustic guitar. But I've never seen anyone on the slopes with something like that. Everyone else has 1337 graphics and such on their boards. I wanted something different, and this certainly is different.

I saw a photo of somebody using a wood-type board only this week. I forget what site but noticed it because they are pretty unusual (not that I've been on the slopes since I was at school).

My boss is currently in Chamonix at the moment (skiing), it was icy when he got there, then it snowed for several days and I think they have now got some serious days in. edit: He just called in and apprently they have LOTS of snow but not much sun.

Meanwhile back the the office (just me here) it's just cold and rainy!

Gareth

Edited by g_attrill (24/01/2005 15:42)

#207703 - 24/01/2005 15:33 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Shame I only recently (last season) dropped a load of cash on a set of Flows. How good are they for people with wide feet?

I'll let you know when I actually get to try them out.

The complaints I've heard about the flows is that they don't cinch tightly enough and therefore don't give as much control.

The biggest difference between the K2 design and the Flow design is that the K2s have an additional articulation. As you lower the heel plate, the instep and toe straps actually hinge upward so that it's easier to get your foot in and out. And when you clip the heel plate in place, the instep and toe straps clamp downward again atop your foot.

I assume that by "pinch", you mean the sides of your feet? The clamping mechanism on these K2s seems to mostly be concerned with downward pressure, not side-pinching pressure, so it's possible this could be a good thing. We'll find out. Hopefully soon...

#207704 - 24/01/2005 15:43 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are there any pics of those bindings in action? I didn't see anything on the page and I'm having some trouble working out how the back folds down enough to let you slide your boot in (ie, it looks like it still has a rear hoop).

Yeah, like Kwish said, the back plate hinges down almost completely. Not a full 90 degrees, but perhaps 60-70 degrees. Combined with the extra hinge action where the instep and toe straps lift upwards, it allows your foot to go in pretty easily.

My goal is to be able to insert my foot into it, without clamping it down, before I get off the lift. We'll see if I can actually pull that off or not.

Quote:
Arbor board. Mmmm. I suggest you get a board lock to ensure that your board is still there when you come out after lunch!

Yeah, good point. I think I ought to grab one.

Quote:
Still, I love my Custom with the neons under the rear tip...

Yeah, I liked that feature. Looked for a board with that feature, but there weren't many and in the end I went with the board that looked like it suited my riding style better.

Quote:
I thought Tahoe still had shedloads of snow?

In the sense that the slopes are still covered with some form of particles of frozen H20, yes. But calling that stuff "snow" is like calling McDonald's "cuisine".

I'm hoping my first day out with this board will be on some freshly fallen powder.

#207705 - 24/01/2005 16:34 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: g_attrill]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
I saw a photo of somebody using a wood-type board only this week. I forget what site but noticed it because they are pretty unusual (not that I've been on the slopes since I was at school).

This year Burton has a build-your-own option for the Series 13 boards where you can get mahogany, maple, etc. topsheets custom made for your deck. Pretty nice (I ride a Burton Custom and the Custom X looks rad), but I can't justify spending $800+ on a new deck. You do get your name printed on the board, though.

#207706 - 24/01/2005 17:13 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
The complaints I've heard about the flows is that they don't cinch tightly enough and therefore don't give as much control.

I'll agree that they don't give as much control because they flex a little, but I don't think it's as bad as some people imply, and it's not been a problem for me yet.

I'm planning on upgrading to a K2 Nemesis at some point soon (my Salomon W5 is broken), and that's a springier board, so it might be less forgiving (it's also narrower; I'm hoping it'll make my cornering quicker) -- in which case the Flow bindings might start to show a difference.

I agree that Flows or step-ins or something else like that are a must-have though -- just ask Hugo how irritating he found it when I got out on the slopes at Whistler last season with my new Flows, and he still had to wrestle with normal-style bindings .

#207707 - 24/01/2005 18:06 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I just bought a pair of those same Burton boots a month ago and LOVE them. They are by far the best snowboard boots I've ever worn. I was trudging around snow fields and lakebeds for an entire day in them 3 weeks back and ended up wearing them back to the hotel they felt so nice, and with just my normal socks as well. I couldn't get over it since every other boot I've worn I wanted out of as soon as possible. Good choice.

#207708 - 24/01/2005 18:27 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I agree that Flows or step-ins or something else like that are a must-have though -- just ask Hugo how irritating he found it when I got out on the slopes at Whistler last season with my new Flows, and he still had to wrestle with normal-style bindings

Yup, that's a big part of the reason I wanted some kind of fast click-and-go system. The less time I spend sitting in the snow and fiddling with my bindings, the more runs I get in.

#207709 - 24/01/2005 18:31 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I just bought a pair of those same Burton boots a month ago and LOVE them. They are by far the best snowboard boots I've ever worn.

Oh, cool, thanks, I'm very glad to hear that. When I tried them on, they were quite comfortable, but I didn't know how they performed in the long run. They were some of the less-expensive boots the shop had, so I wasn't sure if I was skimping or not. But they sure were comfortable.

My concern when trying them on was that they have a somewhat soft ankle. I can crouch and get the ankles to bend a lot easier than I would with a stiffer boot. So I'm worred that they might not give me as much control, either that or they'll make my calves tired having to twist harder to get the same results. How have they been in that regard?

#207710 - 24/01/2005 18:56 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Thanks. I know exactly who you're talking about, I can't remember his name, either, and it's now driving me nuts, too.

I asked my friend Maya about this, because she's in the industry and has had a number of different artists illustrate her published works. The name she came up with is Terri Czeczko. An example of his work is attached to this post, scanned from one of her author's copies. I can't find any other examples of his work on the web.

That cover looks almost like the stuff I remember from that artist I'm thinking of, but it's perhaps a little bit too clean and nice. The artist I'm thinking of seemed somehow sloppier to me. Also, the artist I'm thinking of is well-known enough that I'd expect, once I knew his name, a Google would produce tons of results. I'm not getting those results from googling Terri Czeczko.

Anyone else?

Attachments
246698-Terri_Czeczko.jpg (161 downloads)

#207711 - 24/01/2005 18:58 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Hope you Froogled and PriceGrabbed the ever-lovin' crap out of your list before paying some of those retail prices...

#207712 - 24/01/2005 19:04 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yup. Very similar style with a different technique. Czeczko was obviously very influenced by the guy we're thinking of. I've got a friend who has a bunch of scifi art books. I might drop by his place after work to find the name of that guy we're trying to come up with.

#207713 - 24/01/2005 19:10 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: DLF]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Hope you Froogled and PriceGrabbed the ever-lovin' crap out of your list before paying some of those retail prices...

Not at all. I'm sure that I paid too much. But I got the stuff at a local board shop that was recommended by friends as being the best place to get stuff. The person who sold me the gear was very knowledgable and helpful, and who personally promised me that he would take care of me as a customer (i.e., if the board needs some kind of repair just bring it in and they'll just do it). He wasn't just a salesperson, he actually worked on the boards and seemed to really know his stuff.

There are times when I'm happy to pay a few dollars more, if I'm able to get good advice and service. Doing a bit of online research after-the-fact, it looks like I might have been able to save about $100 or so by ordering the same items online. But with a purchase this large and this important, and especially since I know so little about the gear myself, I think the extra cash for the in-person aspect was worth it.

#207714 - 24/01/2005 19:12 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah. Online purchasing usually only really works if you know almost exactly what you want before you start.

#207715 - 24/01/2005 19:41 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
You've got a point there, esp. if you needed tons of advice & counsel. Some folks (my best friend among them) actually find that even the much-maligned new-car dealerships still provide them/him with some added value that a dreamed-for-by-me direct link into the car-maker's online ordering/production/inventory/shipping system(s) would not equal. BAH-Humbug, I say, froggling away at my lonely keyboard.

#207716 - 24/01/2005 19:42 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
My wife says it reminds her of a wood-panel-side station wagon.

Well, the icon leading to description of 'Woodie Collection' does seem to depict an ancient, presumably wood-panel-sided station wagon
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#207717 - 24/01/2005 20:27 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Roger]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Quote:
I agree that Flows or step-ins or something else like that are a must-have though -- just ask Hugo how irritating he found it when I got out on the slopes at Whistler last season with my new Flows, and he still had to wrestle with normal-style bindings .

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Roger got bored with me saying "hang on, hang on, just a minute... RATCHET, WORK DAMN YOU... with you in a ...."

The Salomon SP3's I had before were easier, as the toe strap was captive so it just pivoted down. These Burton Missions are a pain to get into, but the highback is very adjustable and as a binding it seems to work just fine. I just need to be more flexible so that strapping in isn't such a pain!

Hugo

#207718 - 24/01/2005 21:54 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: bonzi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, the icon leading to description of 'Woodie Collection' does seem to depict an ancient, presumably wood-panel-sided station wagon

Heh, I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to show that to my wife, she'll get a real kick out of it.

#207719 - 25/01/2005 00:09 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
My concern when trying them on was that they have a somewhat soft ankle. I can crouch and get the ankles to bend a lot easier than I would with a stiffer boot. How have they been in that regard?

Honestly I can't say how they'll be on the slopes. I've used them twice and both times it was for snowkiting, so I haven't taken them on any runs yet. I've just been super impressed with their ability to stay comfy and warm while trudging through snow all day as well as with use for kiting.

I didn't notice that they had too much play when I was on my board in the field though... I do like a looser ankle though. My knees KILL me if i'm really locked in and can't tweak at the ankle a bit.

#207720 - 25/01/2005 16:54 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are there any pics of those bindings in action? I didn't see anything on the page and I'm having some trouble working out how the back folds down enough to let you slide your boot in (ie, it looks like it still has a rear hoop).

I was bored and wanted an excuse to take it out and play with it again, so I made you a video clip of how the bindings work. Click here. (Edit: Also here)

Note how it hinges up the front so that there's more room to get the foot in.

My only worry is that, with all those high-tech moving parts, that it will be fragile and break. I read a rumor that they do, in fact, break sometimes. Hopefully mine will last. If they don't, I'm glad I've got the manual and warranty and such, and that I got them at a reputable dealer with a reputation for good customer service...

#207721 - 25/01/2005 21:01 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

That's pretty slick. Wow, that board is beautiful.

#207722 - 25/01/2005 22:12 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hey, thanks, that was my reaction to seeing the board, too. Something about really nice wood grain "gets me".

#207723 - 25/01/2005 23:10 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

John Berkey.

Phew.

#207724 - 25/01/2005 23:41 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

YES!

I knew I would remember his name as soon as I heard it.

THANK YOU!

Now to look up a bunch of his art on the web...

Anway, to finish the thought I started earlier in the thread, I almost bought a board just because the top graphic was a John Berkey painting. I thought it was pretty darn cool.

#207725 - 25/01/2005 23:49 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This is one of his two Star Wars posters that I had as a kid. His other one is visible on this page.

#207726 - 25/01/2005 23:54 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh. Duh.

The second star wars poster wasn't a poster. It was the cover of the fricking 1977 novelization of the film. Why didn't I remember that he did the novel cover? Argh. Mind like a sieve.

#207727 - 26/01/2005 01:01 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Forgot to say this yet, but my buddy has an Arbor board from 2000 and he loves it, the Element looks nice, but most importantly it's a good performer, too.

#207728 - 26/01/2005 07:33 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: altman]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
I thought Tahoe still had shedloads of snow? A few friends just came back from Ferney in Canada and after 9 days of gorgeous snow, it rained solidly for 3 days and pretty much washed the mountain away - no snow left, just mud. Looks like Whistler has been suffering too - when they're quoting "early spring conditions" in January you know things are baaaaaaad.
Hugo

Awww man. I'm going to Silver Star next week. Have skied a fair bit before but I'm gonna try snowboarding this time so I've been reading this thread with interest.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#207729 - 26/01/2005 16:31 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Shonky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have skied a fair bit before but I'm gonna try snowboarding this time

Okay, just know this:

Your first few times snowboarding will be completely unproductive, painful, annoying affairs. You will be utterly unable to maintain balance on the board and will spend most of your time trying to get up from a fall.

And on a snowboard, getting up from a fall is an extremely large PITA until after you've done it about a million times and you get the hang of it.

Your first lessons on the board will be your instructor shouting at you to keep your weight on your front foot, and talking about how to carve a proper turn, etc. etc.... And all of that will be mostly a waste. All you're learning at first is the muscle-memory to be able to keep your balance on the board. And that takes a lot of time, a lot of falls, and a lot of patience.

But... Once you're past all that... Snowboarding is incredibly fun. And your skill level starts to go up exponentially. I've both skiied and snowboarded, and I much prefer snowboarding, even though it was a lot harder to learn.

Good luck.

PS: Stay on the groomed part of the runs until you're good at it. If you fall in deep powder with a snowboard, it's more or less impossible to get up without unhooking the board.

#207730 - 26/01/2005 16:32 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
my buddy has an Arbor board from 2000 and he loves it, the Element looks nice, but most importantly it's a good performer, too.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to discovering how good of a performer it is. Hopefully tomorrow!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >