Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207731 - 26/01/2005 21:04 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Okay, just know this:

Yeah, what he said. Plus: buy some wrist-guards. You'll need them.

#207732 - 26/01/2005 21:49 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've heard arguments both for and against wrist guards. I've got them and use them every time, and there have been a couple of falls I've had where I think they prevented injury. As a guitarist, that's quite important to me.

#207733 - 26/01/2005 21:57 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh. And another thing:

As you're learning to make turns, what you find is that fear is your greatest enemy.

Once you start to get your balance and start learning to turn, what you quickly discover is that in order to change your turn direction, you need to aim the board downhill and start going fast.

And of course, fast scares you if you're not confident on the board yet.

So what you want to start concentrating on is getting over that fear. Embrace that vertigo in the pit of your stomach, and just DIVE INTO THAT F*CKING TURN. Once you start moving straight down the hill, it's fairly easy to curve into a turn quickly, and once you're turning you can dig in as hard as you need to for slowing down or going sideways across the hill.

In other words, changing your turn direction seems like it would make you go fast, but if you just get over yourself and just DO it, then you still have complete control over your speed and you really didn't have anything to be afraid of in the first place.

Just get over that fear of the downward dive and you'll have won 99 percent of the battle.

#207734 - 27/01/2005 01:08 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Your first lessons on the board will be your instructor shouting at you to keep your weight on your front foot, and talking about how to carve a proper turn, etc. etc.... And all of that will be mostly a waste.

Being a snowboarding instructor, I find this very funny. Its good to see it from a students point of view.

Quote:
As you're learning to make turns, what you find is that fear is your greatest enemy.

So very true. One of the hardest things to do as an instructor is to get my students to commit to making their turns. They usually freak out just as Tony described and end up falling down. If they would just commit to the turn and do it with a little bit of confidence, they would be able to get it much easier.

#207735 - 27/01/2005 01:12 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Some things I've learned:

Helmet.

Learn to strap in standing up. Easiest way is to place your board perpendicular to the fall line, dig your heel in to chop out a platform, then balance there while strapping in. I can strap in much faster this way and never get my butt wet.

Did I mention to get a helmet?

Keep your chest pointed towards the tip of your board while riding. This drives good position when turning and carving. You should be slightly crouched, knees bent and hands forward for balance, a little wider than shoulder width apart. Like you have your hands on a counter. I find positive angle stances help me keep this position, about 24 front and 12 back.

Red makes some good helmets.

Learn how to carve, not turn (sliding), carve. This is where the tail of your board will follow in the same track as the tip of your board, creating a trench for skiiers to fall in (I used to ski too). This increases the fun factor by 2x-3x. I could spend all day at the park, or carving the groomers - either way I'd have a good time. Bomberonline.com has some good articles on learning to carve.

Helmets are useful if you run into something, but also work when someone runs into you.

Have fun! Snowboarding is about finding your own style, I have a ton of fun exploring the sides of trails for small banks, jumps, bits of powder, etc. There's always a way to have a good time with a snowboard, especially if you're riding with a bunch of friends.

A helmet bit my sister once. No realli!

#207736 - 27/01/2005 02:50 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: kswish0]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Being a snowboarding instructor, I find this very funny. Its good to see it from a students point of view.

Woops, I've been caught. Okay, what I meant to say is...

You will remember everything the instructor told you, and it will all help you later. Listen to your instructor, and remember.

A lot of what he says won't apply the first several times you're up there because you don't have enough balance yet to apply it. But after you're going out by yourself and really starting to link your turns, then everything he said will start to come back and start to make sense.

#207737 - 27/01/2005 03:06 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I find positive angle stances help me keep this position, about 24 front and 12 back.

You turn both bindings so that your feet point somewhat forward? I'm so tempted to do this myself because I think I feel more comfortable that way. The guy at the board shop had my back foot slighly backwards and my front foot only about 15 degrees forward. I changed it to 15 and 0, and if that still doesn't feel right tomorrow, I'll turn them both more forward. I'm glad I've got my own board and a field adjustment tool, I'm going to enjoy experimenting with different stances.

Quote:
A helmet bit my sister once. No realli!

"The people responsible for sacking the original poster have now been sacked."

#207738 - 27/01/2005 11:32 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I find positive angle stances help me keep this position, about 24 front and 12 back.

You turn both bindings so that your feet point somewhat forward? I'm so tempted to do this myself because I think I feel more comfortable that way. The guy at the board shop had my back foot slighly backwards and my front foot only about 15 degrees forward. I changed it to 15 and 0, and if that still doesn't feel right tomorrow, I'll turn them both more forward.

Your first stance from the board shop is called duck stance. Many freestyle riders use this because it gives them better control when riding fakie (switch). I don't like it because it throws my carving stance off. Look at the hard boot dudes, they all have extremely positive angles - like 55-60 degrees or more on both feet. It comes down to the type of riding you'll be doing and your personal preference, but for big mountain carving and general downhill riding (not freestyle or halfpipe) postitive angles probably would help.

Check your stance width, too. You probably should center this at first and then adjust it after you've ridden it a while. Most riders I see have their stance too wide - again for freestyle focus, stability on landings, etc.

Quote:
I'm glad I've got my own board and a field adjustment tool, I'm going to enjoy experimenting with different stances.

Just don't mess with it too much all at once, or you get the eye doctor syndrome: "which is better, this or this?", "uhhh.. can't tell the difference".

#207739 - 27/01/2005 23:58 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Your first stance from the board shop is called duck stance. Many freestyle riders use this because it gives them better control when riding fakie (switch).

Gah. I tried to explain to the guy that I wasn't a freestyler, I only did downhill. But he still tried to set me up like I was some kind of stunt pilot.

Well, today I spent a LOT of time fiddling and adjusting the bindings, and I'm not sure if I was doing the right things or not. I couldn't get everything quite comfortable. I kept trying different angles and stances and NOTHING felt right to me.

I didn't try extreme forward angles. I only tried maximum of 15 back and 20 front, and it felt extremely wrong to me so I dialed all the way back to 0 0 and started working from there again. Actually, 0 0 didn't feel so bad. As long as I had my stance narrow enough. The guy at the shop had set it way too wide to start with.

By the end of the day I was at 0 back and 10 front with a farily narrow stance and that felt almost right. My real problem is fatigue, not being able to really REST upon my feet and board when moving. On the rental boards with the step-in boots, there were times when I could just relax my stance and not exert any muscle pressure in any direction and I would just cruise straight. When I did that today, that relaxation made my board catch and turn and mess up and such. I wanted to get my weight onto my front foot so I could relax a bit, but I ended up having to pull and twist my front foot's position so much, so hard, for so long, just to go straight, that my legs just ache after each run.

So I'm still trying to decide what to do about my stance. Simple question, but perhaps a not so simple answer: Which is better, stance forward on the board, or stance backward on the board? i.e., center of gravity mostly forward or mostly backward?

And I don't mean whether my feet hang farther off the toe edge or the heel edge. I mean forward or backward along the travel direction of the board. For instance, I'm goofy foot so I travel to my right. Should my stance be more towards the right end of the board, thus making the tail of the board longer, or just the opposite?

Aside from my stance problems, though, I had a great day. Took my daughter with me (she played hookey from school today) and we had a great time. She's learning how to ski and she did really well today. She can go down all the beginner runs unassisted without falling, making nice big turns and stops.

Overall, my reviews of the equipment after one days' use, are as follows:

Arbor Element Board:
Wow. This is one fantastic board. It felt good all day (when my stance adjustment issues are subtracted from the equation that is), was stable on both ice and powder and everything in between. And it got a compliment from some younger boarders, too. "Duuuuude, that's a sweet board. The wood and all? Something to be proud of."

Very very happy with the choice of that board.

Burton Freestyle Boots:
Loren is right, these are very comfortable. Stiff enough to transmit my commands to the board, but flexible enough to keep me comfortable.

I had the pain and tiredness in my feet, ankles, and calves, but I'm pretty sure it was my need to find a good stance adjustment, and not the boots. The way my legs/feet felt would change with each stance adjustment I made.

K2 Cinch Bindings:
Okay, these are a lot more fiddly than I thought they would be. They're not as easy to step into as the Flows. It takes some doing to step into these. Perhaps I just need practice.

One thing you quickly learn is that there is absolutely no way to step into these things when sitting down. You must be standing flat to get into them and must crouch while standing to close that back latch. This is not that big of a deal because, truthfully, that's the whole reason I got them is because I didn't WANT to have to sit down to get into my bindings.

Another thing... Since the back doesn't fold back perfectly flat, you could theoretically run into trouble if your chairlift is very low to the ground. As you're getting onto the lift, your back binding is underneath the chair. The backs of these bindings could get literally snapped off if the chairlift is all the way to the ground.

So you absolutely have to get in the habit of folding the heel plate fully forward into its packing/travel position before getting onto the lift. Now, I didn't run into that problem at the place I went to today, because their lifts had at least 12 inches clearance with the ground at the load point. But I could see it might be a problem in some situations.

The next thing is, I was hoping that I could just step into the binding (leaving it open but stepping into it loosely) as I got off the chair lift. Thus giving me more control when I got off the lift and less likely to fall. (I hate using the stomp pad, I have zero control over the board when my back foot is there.) Well, that sort of worked and sort of didn't. Yes, I have the ability to slip my foot loosely into the binding before I get off the lift. Yes, it gives me control and balance as I'm getting off the lift so I don't fall when I do that. So, the bindings are a big success in that area.

Except...

The lift operators get mad when I do it. I don't know why. You'd think they'd want me to be less likely to fall and block the lift exit. I think that when they see me do it, they see it from a distance, so they think I'm latched in with both feet when I'm not really.

So I'm practicing the technique of watching the lift operator watch me. When I can tell they've gotten a good look at my free dangling back foot, and then look away, then I can start to slip my foot into that back binding at the last moment just before getting off the lift. Then they have nothing to complain about. That seemed to work for me today.

So why do I say these bindings are "fiddly"? Two reasons.

1. I may be able to slip my foot easily in there partially in a casual way just to get off the lift. But when I really go to get my foot in for real and clamp that back latch, it takes a bit of doing. You really have to jam your foot in there pretty seriously to get the toe to move all the way forward. It's not like air, it's like kind of snug as you might expect. With a little practice, I think I can get this down to a science where I really can just step in, reach down, flip the latch into place, and go. But right now it takes some foot wiggling and a couple of latch flip attempts before it works.

2. The whole idea was that the ratcheted toe and instep straps would be a "set it and forget it" affair. I'd set them once at the beginning of the day and then wouldn't have to undo them again for the rest of the day. At least that's what I expected. Instead, what happens is, when you've got your back foot out of the binding and walking around getting on and off lifts and such, somehow those ratchets just loosen up and come completely undone. So you step into the binding, flip the back latch up, and... what? The instep strap is completely undone? WTF? When did that happen? So you're still back to bending over and ratcheting that into place. At that point I might as well have bought an ordinary strap-in binding because the thing hasn't saved me from any fiddling.

Now, that second thing didn't happen every time. Most of the time everything stayed in place and it was truly a snap-right-in situation. So what I need to do is figure out what I'm doing differently between the times it works right and the times it doesn't. Maybe it's when I fold the thing forward into the "travel" position that the instep strap comes undone. I'll have to look closer at it.

Bakoda Jimmy Driver Adjustment Tool:

Okay, this thing was pretty darn cool. Very cool field adjustment tool. Worked an absolute treat, it's handle is the perfect shape for operating from inside the binding. The thing fits into the space under the straps perfectly and just works. I know it's strange to be waxing poetic about a fricking screwdriver, but I'm serious, this is a cool little tool.

So, well, um, there it is.

#207740 - 28/01/2005 00:25 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Well, today I spent a LOT of time fiddling and adjusting the bindings, and I'm not sure if I was doing the right things or not. I couldn't get everything quite comfortable. I kept trying different angles and stances and NOTHING felt right to me.

Coming from rentals this is going to happen. Keep trying new things, but don't switch it up too much or else you won't know if you're on the right track - maybe 2 or 3 stance changes per day.

Quote:
On the rental boards with the step-in boots, there were times when I could just relax my stance and not exert any muscle pressure in any direction and I would just cruise straight. When I did that today, that relaxation made my board catch and turn and mess up and such. I wanted to get my weight onto my front foot so I could relax a bit, but I ended up having to pull and twist my front foot's position so much, so hard, for so long, just to go straight, that my legs just ache after each run.

What are you going straight for, anyway?
Rentals are sloppy messes. You've got a nice board with a good human->board interface and edges that are actually sharp. This will cause you to have problems trying to "rest" while crusing straight. I usually keep a slight edge one way or the other on the flats.

Quote:
So I'm still trying to decide what to do about my stance. Simple question, but perhaps a not so simple answer: Which is better, stance forward on the board, or stance backward on the board? i.e., center of gravity mostly forward or mostly backward?

Centered is usually best, 1"-2" back for powder. You can set your bindings back 1" if it feels better, but never forward of center.

Quote:
I had the pain and tiredness in my feet, ankles, and calves, but I'm pretty sure it was my need to find a good stance adjustment, and not the boots. The way my legs/feet felt would change with each stance adjustment I made.

Do you have a snowboard-specific pair of socks? I have a pair from Fox River and they really help to relieve pressure where it counts. Definately more comfortable after getting a pair of these - I used to use single-thickness ski socks, but these are the cat's whiskers.

Quote:
Since the back doesn't fold back perfectly flat, you could theoretically run into trouble if your chairlift is very low to the ground. As you're getting onto the lift, your back binding is underneath the chair. The backs of these bindings could get literally snapped off if the chairlift is all the way to the ground.

Yeah, this sucks. Chairs are supposed to be about 18" off the ground, but I've run into this problem with my old school Burton 3-strap bindings, which are rigid highbacks. You just have to watch to see if the chair is going to compress too much, I guess.

Quote:
The next thing is, I was hoping that I could just step into the binding (leaving it open but stepping into it loosely) as I got off the chair lift. Thus giving me more control when I got off the lift and less likely to fall. (I hate using the stomp pad, I have zero control over the board when my back foot is there.)

You should probably practice with the stomp pad, everyone else uses one.

Quote:
The lift operators get mad when I do it. I don't know why. You'd think they'd want me to be less likely to fall and block the lift exit. I think that when they see me do it, they see it from a distance, so they think I'm latched in with both feet when I'm not really.

Because if you fall while your foot is even semi-strapped in they have to stop the lift. You're not as agile with both feet strapped in.

Quote:
The whole idea was that the ratcheted toe and instep straps would be a "set it and forget it" affair. I'd set them once at the beginning of the day and then wouldn't have to undo them again for the rest of the day.

I don't think this is actually a realistic goal. I even loosen up my front binding a few clicks when riding the lift because it's more comfortable, but each run I might adjust the binding tighter or looser based upon what I'm doing. If I'm hitting the park, I'll keep them looser, but if I'm carving the groomers I'll tighten them down until my toes are blue.

Sounds like you still had a good time!

#207741 - 28/01/2005 00:54 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Coming from rentals this is going to happen.

Good to know it's not me. Thanks.

Quote:
What are you going straight for, anyway?

Actually, there's one very long lazy run at the park we were at today... Near the end there is a very long straightaway with a short flat/uphill section. To prevent from having to unclip and hike, I need to keep my speed up through that straightaway, so I can crest the hill.

Quote:
Centered is usually best, 1"-2" back for powder. You can set your bindings back 1" if it feels better, but never forward of center.

Okay, cool. A simple answer after all! Will check the positioning with a tape measure tonight.

Quote:
Do you have a snowboard-specific pair of socks? I have a pair from Fox River and they really help to relieve pressure where it counts. Definately more comfortable after getting a pair of these

No, I don't have anything snowboard-specific. But comfort and pressure in the boots aren't at issue. My feet were very comfortable all day. It was my stance that was killing me.

Quote:

Yeah, I've done it enough so that it's not as big of a problem as it used to be. I can usually get off the lift OK on the stomp pad. I just hate that feeling of lack of control I get without that back foot in its real place.

The other thing is, until I get the stance dialed in, I don't want to actually stick the stomp pad onto the board. I want to know where that back binding is going to live before I put the stomp pad in place. So today there was no stomp pad at all on the board.

Quote:
I don't think this is actually a realistic goal.

Well, okay, to clarify:

My goal was that the toe and instep straps would still be at the same adjustment when I stepped back into the binding, as they were when I stepped out of the binding before getting on the lift.

I mean yes, as the day progresses, conditions change, my feet settle into the boots, etc., I'm going to change the strap adjustments. My beef was that the straps were coming fully undone all by themselves, with complete disregard for where I'd put them before.

#207742 - 28/01/2005 01:12 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
Okay, cool. A simple answer after all! Will check the positioning with a tape measure tonight.

No need, most boards come with a center mark indicator on the 4x4 (or 3d) hole pattern. Yours does.

#207743 - 28/01/2005 03:40 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Which, of course, I discovered.

And also discovered that the front mount-holes are four inches farther from the tip of the board than the rear mount-holes are from the tail of the board.

So I guess what I'm saying is...

By "centered", do you mean centered on the mount-holes based on that center mark you described, or, do you mean measurably centered between the tip and the tail of the board?

I'm guessing you mean the former.

#207744 - 28/01/2005 04:17 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
By "centered", do you mean centered on the mount-holes based on that center mark you described, or, do you mean measurably centered between the tip and the tail of the board?

Weeeelll, I meant centered on the mounting inserts.

BUT, measuring from the tip and the tail to the center points doesn't tell you how far away you are from the center of the effective edge (the place on the board that comes into contact with the snow). The board you have, like most others on the market, is directional - it has a tip and tail that are not identical. Some board manufacturers used to set the center of their inserts 1" from the center of the effective edge as a kind of standard, not sure if that is still in use today.

Short story: go with the center marks and adjust from there. If you are in buried-to-your-neck powder, set them back so you won't have to work at keeping your nose up the whole time.

#207745 - 28/01/2005 04:48 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, that's clear and straightforward. Thanks.

Also, just wanted to note how... I started this thread a year ago with the title "cheap snowboard gear" and ended up getting gear that was certainly not cheap at all.

#207746 - 28/01/2005 07:03 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I've got a Dakine stomp pad (click on Snowboard - Accessories - Traction/Stomps) on my board. It's one of the really spiky ones; I find that, with it, I don't worry so much about getting off the lift with one foot out, because I get really good traction off of it.

As far as positioning it goes, I simply put the bindings in the most forward spot and then stuck the pad down so it didn't interfere. My bindings are still in the most forward spot, but I've still got the option of moving them.

#207747 - 28/01/2005 15:26 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That looks really good, thanks. I'll see if I can find one rather than put the cheapo one I've got onto the board.

#207748 - 28/01/2005 18:56 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
That was kinda my point in busting your ShoppingBot chops, as it were., Tony.

#207749 - 30/01/2005 01:21 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, I spent another day with the board and I think I've got everything dialed in the way I like it. I'm basically back to centering everything on the little marks, back foot 0 angle, front foot 15 angle, and I'm all good to go.

I had a fantastic day of carving turns in buttery snow under gorgeous clear skies. The new board is light, springy, and responsive, and I was able to do a lot of stuff I haven't been able to do before.

My only remaining issue with my stance setup is a slightly nagging problem where the pinky toe on my right foot (goofy foot forward) stayed numb most of the day. I don't think it was related to the tightness of the boot, because I loosened it and loosened the straps on the binding and it didn't change. It was something about they way things are when I'm carving that just cuts off the circulation to that toe. I seem to recall this happening with rental boards and boots, too, and I thought it was just those crappy rental boots. Now it's happening with a completely different kind of boot and binding. So I'm not certain what the cause might be.

I should find an anatomy reference so I can find what artery supplies the pinky toe and trace it back to the source of the problem.

The only bad news is that one of those fancy complicated K2 bindings malfunctioned today. The cable that holds the tension on the backplate tends to sneak out of the back latch sometimes. You can't see it well at the link above, but there's a kind of metal "crimp" on the cable that's supposed to keep it more or less in place as you latch and unlatch the binding. But at one point it was halfway out of the back latch when I flipped it into place, and it kind of got stuck and bent funny. Now getting in and out of that binding involves an unnatural amount of fiddling with the cable.

The good news is that I stopped by the snowboard shop on the way home and they're just gonna take care of it for me. (This is the reason I bought it where I did of course.)

#207750 - 30/01/2005 02:07 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
cushman
veteran

Quote:
My only remaining issue with my stance setup is a slightly nagging problem where the pinky toe on my right foot (goofy foot forward) stayed numb most of the day. I don't think it was related to the tightness of the boot, because I loosened it and loosened the straps on the binding and it didn't change.

This happens to me if I don't loosen my binding up when I'm riding the lift, maybe the pressure of the board on your front foot is too much. I loosen up my front binding a few clicks before getting on the lift, and rest the tail of my board on my rear foot (chews up my laces a bit, though). You could go to a qualified ski boot fitter and they might be able to help you out too, they usually shape the liner of ski boots to relieve pressure points. I think your boot liner can be sculpted the same way.

I once bought a new pair of boots, tried them on in the store and everything felt fine. I took them out riding the next day and felt some extreme pressure on my left toes. I'd primarily tested the right boot for fit, and since it was basically the same product (different year) as what I had ridden for the past few years, I didn't walk around on the left boot in the store. I went down to the lodge and discovered that some packing material was lodged between the liner and the outer boot down near the front of the boot!

#207751 - 30/01/2005 02:36 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Hey Tony,

How near (or naught) are you to Lovers' Leap?

Just the curious climber in me wants to know..

#207752 - 30/01/2005 02:38 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

(Obligatory/Explanatory photo from The Leap attached)

(Notice the "Reverse Engineer" T-Shirt, too!)

Attachments
247291-z0016339.jpg (188 downloads)

Edited by mlord (30/01/2005 02:39)

#207753 - 30/01/2005 02:43 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

And.. oh frig, what the He--.. here's another (very different) photo from the same trip (attached). This one's called "The Ride Home".

Cheers

Attachments
247292-z0016591.jpg (164 downloads)

#207754 - 30/01/2005 07:07 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I had a fantastic day of carving turns in buttery snow under gorgeous clear skies.

#207755 - 30/01/2005 14:45 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
How near (or naught) are you to Lovers' Leap?

I tried looking up the exact place in Mapquest and it comes up empty. From other sites I get the impression that it's near Lake Tahoe somewhere, and that's the general vicinity of where I snowboard.

#207756 - 30/01/2005 14:49 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: cushman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This happens to me if I don't loosen my binding up when I'm riding the lift, maybe the pressure of the board on your front foot is too much.

Actually, it's the opposite for me. Things start to feel better after I've ridden the lift for a while. Then I start carving down the slope, and something about the tension in my right foot as I control the board makes the littlest piggy go numb.

#207757 - 30/01/2005 15:23 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Here is a map. Lovers is on Rt50, near the bottom left area on that map.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (30/01/2005 15:23)

#207758 - 30/01/2005 17:18 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, it's right on 50 near Southlake. Cool.

Most of the snowboarding I do is north of the lake, in the Truckee/Donner area. That spot is about an hour's drive from where I board. Not because it's really all that far... more because the mountain roads in that area are so narrow and squiggly.

I go to Southlake a lot to gamble, though. That's about 10 minutes from there.

#207759 - 01/02/2005 04:47 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
What, exactly, are you standing on, there? It looks an awful lot like nothing.

#207760 - 01/02/2005 07:31 Re: It's all about the wood. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I made it up to Northstar today and gave the boots a good romping. I had the same exact toe problem you talked about. My front foot pinky toe was numb by the end of the afternoon, but it was definitely from the pressure of the lower binding. Never had that happen before. Not sure what can be done about it either. Anyhow... BEAUTIFUL day. I forgot how much I like Northstar, definitely one of my favorites. Kelly had a great time too... she's finally getting the hang of it!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >