Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#214618 - 27/04/2004 05:33 Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My buddy dropped off his PC that he was having trouble with. He had Win98 on there, and wanted Win2K so it'd be more stable. I booted from the Win2K disk and installed the OS, only to find out that it didn't over write Win98! I could have sworn this worked in the past...

Do I need a bootable floppy to then "format C" before I can have Win2K as the only OS? IT's been so long since I've had to do this, I'm not sure where I went wrong...

(I can see someone pulling out there Tech Support Magic 8 Ball) .

#214619 - 27/04/2004 05:48 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
"Feature / Known Issue"... (You asked for that one!!! )

I have seen this happen before. Basically you need to either overwrite or rename the windows directory (c:\windows) instead of using the 2000 default (c:\winnt). Personally, I prefer to wipe the system completely. Windows 2000 and 98 are different enough that it might be best to avoid problems.

If the system is otherwise functional, you can always deactivate the "dual boot" aspect by editing the hidden c:\boot.ini file. A little wasteful of disk, but acceptable depending on the situation.

#214620 - 27/04/2004 06:00 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Flatten it!!

I usually backup Documents and Settings (everything I need is in there, I'm a My Documents sort of guy) over to CD/another drive. Restart the machine and boot off the install CD and use that to reformat. Then once I've finished setting up I usually just drop the saved Documents and Settings back onto the root. Works every time.

Andy M

#214621 - 27/04/2004 09:10 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot sy [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I usually boot into Linux on the machine, rm -rf everything except docs&sets (and whatever else I want to keep), then boot from CD. I boot into Linux because it does the delete about a hundred times faster than DOS mode.

#214622 - 27/04/2004 10:17 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot sy [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If you really want to wipe EVERYTHING off for a totally clean install, then first use fdisk to delete the exisitng partitions. Then restart win setup.

-ml

#214623 - 27/04/2004 11:18 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I booted from the Win2K disk and installed the OS,
Somewhere during that procedure, very early on, were you given a screen that showed you the partitions on the hard disk, asking you where you wanted to installe Windows 2000?

The correct thing to do on that screen is to select the existing partitions and press the D key (I think, I don't recall exactly) to delete the partitions. Then there is nothing left on the hard disks and it just says "empty space" or something like that in the list of partitions.

Then you install Windows to the empty partition. It asks you how you want it formatted (FAT or NTFS) and you say NTFS.

That's the proper way to install Windows 2000 from scratch. No need to use a DOS floppy or FDISK or anything, because it's all built-in to the Win2K installer program.

#214624 - 27/04/2004 13:02 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
The correct thing to do on that screen is to select the existing partitions and press the D key (I think, I don't recall exactly) to delete the partitions

Like I said, only in much more detail.

Andy M

#214625 - 27/04/2004 17:10 Re: Oops, Win2K install tunred into a dual-boot system [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
You guys rock! Thank you! The dumping the partition during install did the trick.

Now, if I have as much luck w. my drunk mouse, I'll be all set!