Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#218037 - 08/06/2004 19:12 Help sourcing LCD module
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Numerous people on here have a lot more experience than I do sourcing parts of various shapes and sizes. I should probably keep my web searching to when I'm more relaxed too. So, on to the help post...

I'm trying to source availability/info for a relatively small LCD module to fit these rough, but numerous requirements:

Measurement/resolution details approximate (so long as it's relatively close - it's an example of how many pixels/cm I'd like to have)

Graphic (bitmap) LCD with availability of EL backlight
Monochrome
Physical size: (WxH) 30mm x 35mm
Pixel resolution: 80x100
-as shallow depth as possible
-wired connection preferably on the 30mm side (top or bottom of how I'd like to orient it)

As a comparison to a real-world LCD that I like for size, the Sony Ericsson T68i phone has a 34x28mm LCD that's 101x90 pixels.

This isn't for my day-job, though I think I'll ask if anyone there has clues, since we do have people involved in handheld graphics.

Seems like a good start..

Bruno

#218038 - 08/06/2004 20:39 Re: Help sourcing LCD module [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

The physical size is going to be the limiting factor here. It's fairly easy to get one with the other specs apart from the physical size.

What type of interface do you need for this LCD? Active or passive matrix? Colour? Built in controller? The list goes on

If you don't mind doing some reverse engineering then getting a replacement LCD for a mobile phone might be a better bet.

#218039 - 08/06/2004 21:07 Re: Help sourcing LCD module [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I need to source something that will be available in large supply (at least I hope to eventually need large supply).

Interface I'm not sure of yet. I'll work on finding a size that fits the intended design/application first. Monochrome is fine, the application doesn't necessitate color nor the increased cost that would incur. At least not yet. The controller is moot if I can't find something of the right size. And passive is fine.

Something suitable for a phone is about right, as long as I can continue to get it in quantity when I need it. I suppose for proto purposes that may have to do anyway. Not interested in thinking about having one custom-made at this time. I suppose that even the final size doesn't have to be a consideration for a proof of concept prototype anyway.

I did figure that I may as well start thinking about this early on while I work on other hardware, mechanical and software specs. Maybe I should be asking where to get a good wad of startup capital to get the ball going once I've reached the critical stages of documentation...

Bruno