Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#219978 - 07/05/2001 10:44 auto add new music
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I didn't realize the server did not do this until this weekend when i added some new music to my collection, and it didn't show up on the reciever.

I had to completely rebuild the database (which takes a considerable amount of time when you have 50 gigs of mp3's) just to be able to listen to one new album through the Reciever. You can tell the server directories to scan, but it then has to rescan the drives for music and THEN rebuild the database.

The server software should be able to monitor directories that you specify for new content. This way when i drop a new album into my MP3 directories, it automatically gets added to the database instead of me manually having to rebuild the whole thing.

Am i missing something? Can you already monitor a folder or add an album without rebuilding the whole database? If not, this is gonna be a fairly common annoyance.

||| loren |||

#219979 - 07/05/2001 14:24 Re: auto add new music [Re: loren]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This has been addressed in new versions of the server. It doesn't monitor directories, but it will do background rescans at regular intervals without interrupting the serving of music.

Sorry, no news on dates for the next release, but it will happen at some point. Until then, it's an annoyance.

Hugo

#219980 - 08/05/2001 11:55 Re: auto add new music [Re: altman]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
great! That sounds like a reasonable solution. Looking forward to it.

||| loren |||