Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#234280 - 25/09/2004 01:34 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
These people, the ones that make sure you know that they're Christian, their faith is, at best, secondary to feeling superior. While I'm sure that they're in the minority, it's a very common attitude and it sure doesn't feel like a minority. (BTW, no one I can think of on this board seems to have this attitude.)

Perhaps this is something like the factions of Christianity in Northern Ireland which act nothing like believers; It's more important to kill people on in the other sect because that sect and not those particular people are perceived as having repressed the others.

But this isn't just true of Christians. Every group has self-professed members who do it to belong, and not because they actually believe in the views espoused by the group generally. The group may be in many cases totally on the level, and is having its reputation besmirched by people who associate themselves with the group despite not really belonging.

In George W's case, he certainly takes some un-Christian positions but it's not inconceivable to me that he does actually believe he's doing the right thing (even if I disagree).

#234281 - 25/09/2004 02:12 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It is certainly within your rights to disagree with me, but, IMO, even that is beside the point. My real point is that even if you assume for a second that he's not a Christian -- ignore his professions -- and look at his record, it doesn't seem to be very Christian, and if your basis for choosing a candidate is that he be Christian, I think that actions should speak louder than words. And his actions seem to indicate that if he is a Christian, he's one that seems to be stuck in the ages of Urban II and Innocent III.

#234282 - 25/09/2004 03:02 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
What are the things you see Bush as having done that are not Christian?

#234283 - 25/09/2004 03:19 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I mean, there's one school of thought which says all politicians are corrupt (or at least the successful ones must be in order to be successful), and that kind of corruption is not truly Christian.
My perception of Bush is that he is a politican first and a Christian second. I say this because of a time he came to the church I was attending to give his testimony and ended up giving a political speech. I was thoroughly disgusted and it really opened my eyes. Not that it made me think his faith wasn't genuine, but that politics were the dominant force in his life. I don't see being political as being immoral, but as a Christian I try to make every action first and formost about Jesus Christ; all other things are secondary. It was dissapointing to find this not to be true (or at least that's the way it came accross), and it caused me to think a lot about God and politics. The conclusion I came to was that Bush is the kind of person who gets elected. The man who I respect most in the world (my old pastor) would never get elected, so Bush is the best I can hope for. I doubt Kerry or any other politican, conservative or liberal, would have gotten up in that church and talked about their faith in God. It's just not what politicans do.

Quote:
There's also the school of thought that says people can do bad things, or be deluded or power-mad, all in the name of God, because they either don't understand the scripture or they twist its meaning to serve their ends.
The sense I got from Bush (and I base a lot of what I think about the man from that single experience, probably not wise) was not that he was power hungry. He struck me as trying to do the right things and that these were motivated by his faith. However, it felt like though his motives were from faith, the actions were a bit "watered down" to be palitable to non-Christians. I suppose it has to be that way or he'd never get elected (this was before he was president), but that just illustrates that someone has to be a politican first and whatever else second. But regardless of however these things played out, he did seem genuine that the source of his actions was faith, not a desire for power or control. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't true- it's just not what I perceived.
Quote:
I think that's a very extraordinary claim, so I'd be very interested in any details you could provide regarding that.
I'd be interested in your reasoning as well, Bitt. That is the kind of perspective that if accompined with reasonable evidence could nail Bush to the wall.

#234284 - 25/09/2004 03:34 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It sounds to me as if you're choosing him simply because he claims to have the same religion you do.
Not quite, but close. I believe that politics are driven by our leaders belief systems. Therefore, the most important thing to me in politics is to support someone who has a belief system similar to my own. I'd probably be willing to vote for a conservative Jewish person just as easily as a conservative Christian since both are going to have similar goals in leading our country. In fact, there are planks of the republic party that I simply don't agree with, but there are far more issues in the democratic party so I kind of get railroaded into voting republican. In the end, however, someone who comes from a conservative Christian perspective is more likely than anyone else to govern the country the way I'd want.

Is Clinton a Christian? I don't know, but from what I understand about him he at least makes the claim. I can't judge whether he is or not, but it is clear to me that he comes from a different moral belief system than I do. So in that case there would be an example in which I wouldn't vote for some based on faith alone.

From what I've heard about Bush (from his own mouth and from reading his stances on things) he does come from a similar persepctive to mine. As I've said, often I agree with his moral beliefs but not the way the are put into policy, but overall I still believe I have a better chance with him than with Kerry.

I'm sure there are tons of people in this country who I'd vote for over Bush, but unfortunately they aren't on the ballot.

#234285 - 25/09/2004 14:43 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What are the things you see Bush as having done that are not Christian?

If they aren't obvious to you by now, then there's no point in listing them, and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still don't see how you can possibly support the man.

#234286 - 25/09/2004 15:27 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I still don't see how you can possibly support the man.

Actually, I think Jeff did a very good job of explaining exactly why he supports Bush. I certainly don't agree with his logic, but I understand it.

I happen to agree with you that his faith is just an accessory he can wear when he wants to appeal to Christian voters, but I can understand why Jeff wouldn't see it that way.

#234287 - 25/09/2004 16:24 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'm sure that Hitler thought that he was a good Christian. Would Jeff vote for him? No, of course not; his actions would easily trump his words. I think the same thing should apply to Bush (not that I'm comparing Bush to Hitler -- it's just an extreme example). Attacking another country without reason is simply not a Christian ideal. Nor is trying to deny others their rights. Nor is lying in order to get your way.

I believe that Jeff is intending to vote for Bush because Bush seems to come from the same background. Whether or not he does is irrelevant. But his actions don't seem to support the background that Jeff wants, and I beleve he's stated as much several times. And he's not considering Kerry (or anyone else, if there will be anyone else) because he doesn't explicitly claim to come from the same background. To me, that's like saying that I'm not going to vote for Kerry because he grew up in the North while ignoring the fact that Bush also grew up in the North because he presents himself as being from Texas.

#234288 - 25/09/2004 18:22 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Actually, I believe it's more of "Bush at least claims to support the same ideals I do...Kerry makes no pretense to." In that case who do you pick?

#234289 - 26/09/2004 14:05 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The one whose actions match what you believe in.

#234290 - 26/09/2004 14:13 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The one whose actions match what you believe in.

Speaking of which... Link.

I post the link only as a means of promoting discussion about the aforementioned actions. A lot of the information presented there is very "Fahrenheit 9/11" except the propaganda side of it is more extreme. It contains some straw-man arguments and some attempts at making connections where none exist.

#234291 - 28/09/2004 03:36 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: JeffS]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Not that it made me think his faith wasn't genuine, but that politics were the dominant force in his life

Well, ummm... gosh, I'd hope so.

After all, the man is a politician. Not just any politician, but the top-dog politician in the whole country. He'd better be interested in politics, that's what we pay him for!

I would not be comfortable with the idea of a man running things who was more interested in his religion than in the welfare of the country.

Takes me back to 1960 when John F. Kennedy, a [gasp!] Catholic was running for president, and some deluded people were (really, truly!) saying, "Oh, I'm not gonna vote for him -- he'll be taking his orders directly from the Pope."

Well, we all know how ridiculous that was... but in that same vein, I am worry about a commander in chief who does something because he knows that it is what God wants him to do.

Hearken back to the Crusades for an example of where that mindset can lead one...

tanstaafl.

#234292 - 28/09/2004 03:55 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: tanstaafl.]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I am worry about a commander in chief who does something because he knows that it is what God wants him to do.

Excellent! Good to see you'll be voting against Bush in November!

"I believe God want's me to be president..."
Bush wants to let God's light shine through him...but as a "secular politician"...

#234293 - 29/09/2004 04:16 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: webroach]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
As Brad bemoans, work causes me to fall way behind (on a thread that I started!). So I respond in summary fashoin here.....
Brad:
Quote:
Let me regroup and respond in a bit... I'm not online during the day anymore, so that makes it hard.

Tell me about it. I saw all of this posting to the BBS on Friday and then I had to....work....and socialize!

JeffS:

Quote:
I do believe we should have gone into Iraq.

Why? And do you acknowledge any downside?

canuckinLA:

Quote:
I honestly don't think Bush is evil, either. I think he's naive, petulant, has a competitive streak a mile long, and as a result, is easily manipulated by his staff as a result. I think he's in waaaay over his head.

If the gent we regarded as the local party animal/buffoon got totallysh*tfaced, drove their SUV onto the Interstate the wrong way and killed my wife/brother/sister/son/daughter, I might not think of them as the embodiment of evil, but, boy, would I hate them. What to make of the party boy who sends one thousand young people (and some thousands of Iraquis) to their deaths with an AWOL crocodile's tears and a summary "Gee, it's tough."? I might not think they are evil as in Hitler evil, but hate? Easy.

Quote:
I'm sure he's a very personable fellow, and that I'd like him if we had met before he got into politics.

Many people say this, but I can't see it. What charming sobriquet would Shrub invent for you? "Hey, puck-buddy!" Me? "Hey, Salmon Boy!" Maybe recent events have just poisoned my mind, but I think I would find his frat boy's company nauseating. Better to spend a weekend locked in a sweat lodge with Rob Voisey!!!

wfaulk:

Quote:
I am positive that Bush's faith is a fraud.

I would certainly be willing to entertain this notion..... I have been interested, though, to listen to Texan observers like Wayne Slater (no Bush fan, author of "Bush's Brain" -- about Rove/Bush) note how they *do* think that Bush's policies are truly faith-driven on some (sincere?) level. Not that this makes me feel much better!! If "dry-drunk" Bush finds religion and takes to (sincerely) reading the Bible every AM so that he can feel more self-satisfied with the righteousness of his wacky actions and that, somehow or other, Divine Guidance is at his elbow keeping him on the Right Course, should I feel better because he is sincere? Not much.

Amazing, though, how convenient it has been historically for various religious folk to rape, pillage, take power, profiteer, enjoy their dividend coupons, et cetera, when they are assured that it is all in the name of The Big Guy. Sincerity, schmincerity. Let us judge deeds.

wfaulk:

Quote:
Christian-owned plumbing.

SE_Sport_Driver:

Quote:
That comment, and other about Americans who support Bush as being "brainwashed" implying that they are of weak mind is why most conservatives view many liberals as elitists.

I included one snippet from Bitt because it "said it all" to me: Christian-owned plumbing. I have encountered several merchants (somebody who I was going to have do some canvas for my boat...a moving company...a painting outfit) who gave me an estimate for work and their business card. I looked at the business card and there was that Christian fish (somewhat disguised in one case). I did not do business with them and I let them know why. What does the fish say? It says "You can trust me, I'm a Christian!" I can not help but infer what else it says -- it says "you just can't trust those other folks (like Jim the atheist!) as much". That pisses me off. And yes, when I see those cheap plastic fish on the backs of cars, I can't help but think the fish is singing "I'm going to Heaven! I'm going to Heaven!" And completely remarkable, the counterstrike Jesus fish eating the Darwin fish. What's up with that? Not very Christian if you ask me!

OK, so I'm an elitist.

Quote:
It's possible to be Christian and liberal.

Thank you. And I want to say that -- while I don't/didn't share their belief in supernatural deities -- there have been and are very religious people out there who I respect based on their actions and principals. Think Ita Ford, Maura Clark, Dorothy Kazel, Jean Donovan. I don't imagine that *any* of them would have put a plastic fish on their Jeep. I could be wrong.

tanstaafl:

Quote:
Hearken back to the Crusades for an example of where that mindset can lead one...

Hearken back? This *is* the Crusades!

webroach:

Quote:

Again, how handy.

As Arianna Huffington said: A classic "dry drunk".

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#234294 - 29/09/2004 04:34 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: webroach]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:

"God want is me to"....

Uh, no.

#234295 - 29/09/2004 04:42 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
This is the only part of your post that doesn't make sense to me: how can anyone agree with Bush's motives and ideology, when Bush hasn't made it clear what those motives and ideology are?

I think it's pretty clear that Bush comes from a position of conservative faith. I see in many cases how his faith drives his decisions, so I can say with some amount of confidence that our sense of morality comes from the same source.

I was surprised to read Bitt's answer to this, because it's pretty much what I think of Bush. I have a fairly conservative upbringing -- I was raised Christian, in a family where abstinence was the rule of the day when it came to sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. Though I have a liberal political viewpoint, my personal choices are still extremely conservative. Much of my morality is grounded on teachings from the Bible, though I have found alternate justifications for that morality that don't require the Biblical teachings. That's part of what suggests, to me, that they are a reasonably valid set of morals. That said, like Bitt, I think that Bush isn't being completely forthright about his religion, though, unlike Bitt, I'm a bit more conflicted. In some ways, I think he's faking it -- his actions don't say "I believe in Christ's teachings" to me. In other ways, I agree with Tony (I think it was who mentioned it), in that he may be doing what he thinks is the most Christian, but then with quotes like "God wants me to be president", I think he's somewhat delusional. So I'm stuck between "faker" and "nutcase" when it comes to Bush's religion.

Quote:
Politically I find myself somewhat to the left of Bush and most Republicans (I don't support the gay marriage ammendment, I don't think their should be public prayer in school, etc.), but because we share similar belief systems Bush's views are closer to mine than Kerry or just about any other Democrat.

It sounds like we probably share a great deal in common, barring the fact that you think Bush shares a similar belief system with you.

I apologize for not being able to find the original website for this, but I think this is very truthful, even though it's a parody.

Quote:
Not that a person with similar faith can't be a Democrat, but usually they choose not to be because many of the party's ideals are just not consistent with our belief system.

I dunno. I feel the exact opposite -- that Christian ideals are *more* consistent with the Dem platform, than the Republican platform. Christ was about charity, forgiveness, good stewardship, uplifting the poor and middle class, etc, and I just don't see that reflected in the Republican platform to the same extent.

Quote:
I've said before that I don't feel well represented by these candidates, and that's why I'm so frustrated by the system at the moment.

Heh. I think this statement would resonate with the majority of the country. I don't think Kerry is really representative of my ideals, either.

Quote:
I should note that one allegation that is made over and over again that really bugs me is how Republicans say they want to spend less but then end up spending more. This bugs me because it's true and that is truly frustrating. I do think we ought to spend less in taxes and on government programs like the Republicans say, but they don't seem to know how to follow through on that. At least Democratic leaders have some integrity on this point by not claming the can do more with less.

Agreed. Though I have no degree in economics, I think fiscal conservativeness is the only way one can create a healthy economy. You can't spend your way out of debt -- that's been proven time and time again on a personal level, and I don't follow the logic that suggests otherwise. Where I don't agree with the Republicans on this point is that they seem to think that privatization is the key to spending less. I think when one goes down that road, the end result is a pure focus on the profit side, and none on the service, so if the service isn't profitable (such as, say, a hospital), then it goes away, leaving nothing. What's really needed is more efficiency, and less pork (and pretty much every polititian is complicit in this).

Quote:
So this is all what I meant by being a weak supporter of Bush.

I can agree with the logic, though I don't agree with your initial premises.

#234296 - 29/09/2004 10:41 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: jimhogan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I do believe we should have gone into Iraq.
Why? And do you acknowledge any downside?
The short version: because Saddam was a terrible and dangerous dictator who was responsible for horrific human rights violations and would at some point be a huge threat to us if remained uncheck. There's a lot to be said about this and I think we've had the discussion before, but in the end I do think it was the right thing to do. I do see that we've paid (and are continuing to pay) a massive price for this war and history may indeed prove that it was the wrong move.
Quote:
What does the fish say? It says "You can trust me, I'm a Christian!"
Actually I believe the intention is to say, “I'm showing the world that I have faith in Christ”. While there are some fields where people market their faith as a reason to choose their services (psychologists for example), this is usually because it’s a field in which the philosophical framework is important to the job. An example is that my wife is undergoing a fairly traumatic surgery and had to have a psych evaluation. The psychologist she met with told her she should probably spend a few more sessions with a psychologist to help deal with the trauma, however she should probably go to a Christian counselor because her faith is so important to her. So in that case you have a business that caters specifically to Christians. However, I wouldn't choose a plumber based on the fact he has a fish on his card, though I appreciate the statement of faith. But I've never gotten the sense that I was supposed to use someone's services because of a religious symbol on his or her card.

As far as the "God wants me to be president," quote, I wouldn't make too much of this. It's a statement very consistent with his faith. Pretty much everything I do I pray about and seek the Lord's guidance on. If I take a new job or buy a new car, I don't do it unless I feel like it's something God wants me to do. I realize that doesn't translate well into secular culture very well, but ever decision I make has consequences, spiritual as well as physical even for little things as to how much to spend at the grocery store this month ("is this going to bring undue burden on our finances and cause difficulties in my marriage- a very spiritual union?"). For Bush to say he believes God wants him to be president is almost a non-statement. If he is a believer and is running for president it goes without saying that he believes it's what God wants. When I've read this statement it's been in the context of talking to other believers to assure them of his motives: "I want you to know that I've sought the Lord about this and am not just pursuing my own goals" not proclaiming that a vote against him is a vote against God.

#234297 - 29/09/2004 11:19 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: canuckInOR]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Christ was about charity, forgiveness, good stewardship, uplifting the poor and middle class, etc,

Sounds like you need a few re-reads of your Bible. While all of those things are represented, that's clearly not what Christ was about. Furthermore, Christ advocated charity, forgiveness, etc on a personal level as a result of a changed heart (being spirtually born again). Any of those things are more meaningless to him than a pile of filthy rags apart from that.

#234298 - 29/09/2004 11:25 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
How do you type a moaning sound where it doesn't read like you're in some sex chat room?

Will a "Sigh..." work?

Quote:
I included one snippet from Bitt because it "said it all" to me: Christian-owned plumbing. I have encountered several merchants (somebody who I was going to have do some canvas for my boat...a moving company...a painting outfit) who gave me an estimate for work and their business card. I looked at the business card and there was that Christian fish (somewhat disguised in one case). I did not do business with them and I let them know why. What does the fish say? It says "You can trust me, I'm a Christian!" I can not help but infer what else it says -- it says "you just can't trust those other folks (like Jim the atheist!) as much". That pisses me off. And yes, when I see those cheap plastic fish on the backs of cars, I can't help but think the fish is singing "I'm going to Heaven! I'm going to Heaven!" And completely remarkable, the counterstrike Jesus fish eating the Darwin fish. What's up with that? Not very Christian if you ask me!

OK, so I'm an elitist.

Substitute the Christian symbols for anything else and I hope you'll see how prejudice you are being. At least you admit that you are an elitist, but it seems that being bigoted doesn't bother you. You are inferring that someone who is proud of their faith is somehow telling you that you're going to hell? Or that any other contractor is untrustworthy? Get over it, the world doesn't revolve around you and they are not putting that on their business cards or the side of their work vehicle for "you". They are doing it for themselves because they are proud. You act as if they should hold their head in shame.

Do you see how bad this is? Do you? I think that you're telling us more about yourself than you are about these Christians who offend you so much. I can see if you're talking about one of those guys that shows up at rock concerts and actually DOES tell everyone that they are going the hell, but that's not what you're talking about. (And those people do not, as far as I know, represent any facet of the Christian faith.) It's as if everytime you see a Christian proclaiming their faith, you think that these people are telling you that you're a bad person or something. I find it so offensive that you'll dismiss someone just because they are Christian. And that's exactly what you're doing if a fish on a business card makes your skin crawl so much. Oh wait, it's okay if their Christian, as long as they don't publically admit it. Sounds like Saudi Arabia to me.

Quote:
It says "You can trust me, I'm a Christian!"

No, it's saying "I'm proud of my faith." That's it.

My family's company has an American flag and an Italian flag in their logo. When you see that, do you think that we are saying "Don't let those Mexicans do the masonry work for you because we're Italian and we do it better"? We do it because my father-in-law is proud of this Italian heritage. There is also a sense of community involved, so many other Italians might seek us out. But we also do a lot of work for Iraqis, Palestinians, Lebanese, Poles, or mainstream Americans who respect the fact that he is proud of his heritage just like they are of theirs.

Is a person with a rainbow sticker on their car telling the world that they are inferrior if they are not gay? Should every straight person refuse to do work with someone who goes so low as to admit that they are gay? Of course not. So why is it okay to take that same attitude towards Christians.

It's amazing how politically correct it is now to attack Christians.

#234299 - 29/09/2004 12:06 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
t's amazing how politically correct it is now to attack Christians.

Brad, it is often also amazing how politically correct it is to say that something is politically correct!

As you can appreciate, the call of paid employment interferes with a lengthy, overblown response at this time. Suffice it to say that I stand by what I wrote and....

....I have never had a car salesman tell me that "You can trust this dealership because they are good Italians!"

More to follow....

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#234300 - 29/09/2004 12:27 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't think Kerry is really representative of my ideals, either.

You'll note that I have not once promoted Kerry. I'm not a big fan, either, but I still think he's better than the alternative. I wouldn't go so far as to say "lesser of two evils", but certainly "neutral versus evil".

Quote:
I think fiscal conservativeness is the only way one can create a healthy economy. You can't spend your way out of debt -- that's been proven time and time again on a personal level, and I don't follow the logic that suggests otherwise. Where I don't agree with the Republicans on this point is that they seem to think that privatization is the key to spending less.

First, I tend to agree with the notion of fiscal conservation (if that'd really be the right word). However, I don't see either Democrats or Republicans being fiscally conservative these days. It seems to me that the big fiscal difference between the two is that the Democrats want to spend a lot of money and pay for it now, via taxing the populace, whereas the Republicans want to spend a lot of money and just go into debt -- the governmental equivalent of running up your credit cards.

I at least understand the concept of privatization, unlike many Republican notions, even if I don't agree with it. I think that privatizing plus more corporate rights is a bad path to take, and that's the path the Republicans seem to want.

Also, it's important to note that recessions and depressions can be helped by deficit spending. That's what wars are all about -- becoming fiscally isolationist and spending lots of money to native companies for the war effort. (Okay, it's not all they're about, but you have to admit it's a strong side effect. I wonder if the US would have entered World War II if the Great Depression hadn't been going on at the same time.) Anyway, that's not "spend[ing] your way out of debt", but it's closely related.

#234301 - 29/09/2004 13:11 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Substitute the Christian symbols for anything else and I hope you'll see how prejudice you are being.

I have the same attitude on this that Jim does, and you raise a good point. (Other than using the wrong word; it should be "prejudiced".)

It feels to me as if they're saying "you should use my services not because I'm good, but because I'm a Christian". Or Italian. Or whatever. So, in some respects, it makes me feel that they're not going to be as good because they have to have a back door into why someone would want to use them. It also feels kind of insular to me.

At the same time, you're right about there being some prejudice. But being Christian and promoting that fact are choices they made, and I can just as easily choose not to use them. It's not as if I refuse to use plumbers (to pick a random example) because they're Italian (to pick another random example), but if they pointed it out (which is something that, beyond Christian purveyors, is quite uncommon here), it would make me question if they were good at their business.

At the same time, what if someone pointed out that their business was "white owned"?

#234302 - 29/09/2004 14:06 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
At the same time, what if someone pointed out that their business was "white owned"?

Ah, the good old double standard. Woman-owned or black-owned is pointed out often.

#234303 - 29/09/2004 14:33 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: Daria]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Ah, the good old double standard. Woman-owned or black-owned is pointed out often.

There are some of us who find that offensive too. Especially when you repeatedly get to hear how glad someone is to be dealing with a woman, and what a great person to do business with that makes me. Ugh.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#234304 - 29/09/2004 19:41 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
....I have never had a car salesman tell me that "You can trust this dealership because they are good Italians!"

No one with a Christian symbol on their car is saying "trust me or whatever because I'm Christian" so you're comparison to an Italian salesperson doesn't quite fit the other quite bigotted examples you pointed out. By using this example, you open the question, "What if an Italian DID mention his background while trying to sell you a car? Would that justify distain for all Italians who express their heritage via a bumper sticker?" That's clearly what is happening here with your views of Christians.

#234305 - 29/09/2004 19:47 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I have the same attitude on this that Jim does, and you raise a good point. (Other than using the wrong word; it should be "prejudiced".)

Bigot still seams to stick.

Quote:
But being Christian and promoting that fact are choices they made, and I can just as easily choose not to use them.

So it's okay to be Christian, as long as you're not proud of it and have it as part of your identity in the same way people put most stickers on their car? So I guess it's okay to be gay too, just so long as you don't come out of the closet.

Quote:

You're setting yourself up here... You question leads to this one, "What if someone pointed out their business was black owned?" It would be wrong for me to deny them business just because they point out they are black owned for the very same reason that it is wrong of someone to refuse business with someone because they are Christian.

It's funny, you're not so much offended by someone being Christian, you're just offended at someone being proud of it. Do you propose I use a different drinking fountain from you as well?

#234306 - 29/09/2004 19:58 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
No one with a Christian symbol on their car is saying "trust me or whatever because I'm Christian"

Well, his initial complaint was about the symbols on the business cards, and only peripherally related to bumper stickers. But I think that "trust me because I'm Christian" might be precisely what they're trying to say with the business cards. Why else would you put a symbol of your faith on your business card, unless you were specifically trying to increase responses from others of the same faith?

You claim that expressing disdain for this practice makes him prejudiced. But think about it... The prejudice is actually there on the business card itself. It's the guy who chose to put the fish on the card that's prejudiced. He's saying, "I specifically want to do business with, and increase customer response from, others of my faith."

If that's not being prejudiced, then I don't know what is.

#234307 - 29/09/2004 20:05 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, his initial complaint was about the symbols on the business cards, and only peripherally related to bumper stickers. But I think that "trust me because I'm Christian" might be precisely what they're trying to say with the business cards. Why else would you put a symbol of your faith on your business card, unless you were specifically trying to increase responses from others of the same faith?

You claim that expressing disdain for this practice makes him prejudiced. But think about it... The prejudice is actually there on the business card itself. It's the guy who chose to put the fish on the card that's prejudiced. He's saying, "I specifically want to do business with, and increase customer response from, others of my faith."

No. It's just a symbol on a card. You are inferring all of these things because of a symbol on a card. If the first question the contractor asked you before even giving you the card was if you were Christian or not, then it'd be different. But you are making judgements on someone's intentions and views based solely on their faith. Text book example of prejudice.

Again, if someone claims their business was black owned and operated are we all to assume that they "specifically want to do business with, and increase customer response from, others of their ethnicity?"

#234308 - 29/09/2004 20:15 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But you are making judgements on someone's intentions and views based solely on their faith. Text book example of prejudice.

No, not based solely on their faith. Based solely on their choice to advertise their faith as an integral part of the advertising for their business.

It's not prejudice to assume that if they put a fish symbol on their business card, they're trying to say something. I don't think my idea of what they're saying is a farfetched one.

I admit that, even if I'm right about what they're trying to say, it still could be considered a prejudice. I mean, I certainly didn't ask the guy why he put the fish there, I assumed. And even if I'm right about why, I still assumed.

Quote:
Again, if someone claims their business was black owned and operated are we all to assume that they "specifically want to do business with, and increase customer response from, others of their ethnicity?"

Yes, that's exactly what I expect we are all to assume. What else should we infer from that?

#234309 - 29/09/2004 20:25 Re: Poll: Bill Burkett [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I expect we are all to assume. What else should we infer from that?

That they have pride in their ethnicity.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >