Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#234460 - 21/09/2004 20:06 Another eBay rant
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I haven't used eBay in a very long time but recently won two auctions. The first item was supposed to be a John Deere garden windmill (I admit to collecting John Deere items) but was in fact just a look-a-like. I gave the seller 6 days to answer my email about being dissatisfied but he never returned it so I left him some negative feedback today. When you go to do this they make you feel like a horrible person for doing so without jumping through hoops to call them or go to arbitration or what not first. Well I'm sorry but it's the sellers fault in the first place and I have other things to do with my time without having to try and track the guy down. I made an effort and that was enough as far as I'm concerned.

The other item I got from another seller I was happy with but I also received another box for something that was supposed to have gone to New York. I tried contacting that seller to inform them but never received an answer back from them either. If the item was so cheap that me shipping it back to them wasn't worth it, they could have at least thanked me for my honesty and have told me to keep it.

Neither seller left me feedback though I paid within minutes of the auctions ending. Needless to say, it will be a very long time before I feel the urge to buy anything else off of eBay.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#234461 - 21/09/2004 20:16 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

eBay won't notice or care. They have their cash

#234462 - 21/09/2004 20:50 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Laura
pooh-bah

It's sad but you're probably right. It used to be a pretty good place to buy things and I'm sure there are good sellers on there but plenty of dishonest ones too.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#234463 - 21/09/2004 22:49 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I bought a transmission on ebay on Sept. 9th and paid via PayPal Sept. 10th. I still have no information about if it was sent or not and the seller has only replied to one of my emails. Ebay is not my favorite method of buying stuff at the moment either.

#234464 - 21/09/2004 23:22 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: robricc]
Laura
pooh-bah

Ok, now I'm pissed. The guy left me this feedback :BEWARE THIS EBAYER PAYS FOR ITEM TODAY THEN LEAVES NEG TODAY UNHAPPY?????? The item was paid for on September 6th and received on September 16th. What a *&^%$#$ jerk.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#234465 - 22/09/2004 00:44 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I believe you can leave comments on your feedback, but I know that hardly makes up for idiots like this. Maybe ebay can help you out with it.

Sometimes you can get some good buyers and sellers. I sold a server to someone who was extremely patient despite several delays that were partly my fault.

Sadly, ebay is simply the last recourse for some items. If I could have gone to a store and paid $120 for that LP I bought, I would have. It just so happens that ebay had the only one around

#234466 - 22/09/2004 02:42 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I just sold something on Ebay and specified shipping to USA only. Well someone just bought it and the confirmation email from Ebay says they are in Singapore I hope it's wrong.

Matt

#234467 - 22/09/2004 02:44 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

That's the problem with the Ebay feedback system. I'm sure many people get ripped off but don't leave bad feedback for fear to retaliation

Matt

#234468 - 22/09/2004 03:34 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Now I got this reply I wonder if they are trying to scam me.

Greetings to you,
I am Kat Robin, i am interested in purchasing your product and having it sent to my friend in Nigeria urgently.I would like you to send me total charges that is, the cost of the product as well as the shipping charges as i am gonna issue payment for all expenses.i want you to send it to him through Fedex, let me know.
My payment method is very fast, and secures
both the seller and the buyer this is through Western Union Auction Payments Postal Money Order, for me to instruct payment issued i need your name and address to which the cash is going to be sent.
Looking forward to your soonest reply.

Does anyone know if Ebay would charge me again to relist the item ?

Matt

#234469 - 22/09/2004 06:29 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Sometimes you can get some good buyers and sellers

I have always had good luck on eBay -- although "luck" is frequently a matter of care and preparation.

I never bid on anything without first checking feedback of the seller. If he has 1000+ feedbacks at better than 99% positive, then I bid with confidence.

Sometimes I'll contact the seller by email before bidding, and the quickness and appropriateness of the response is also a good barometer.

I have reached the point where any time I decide to buy a specific item (like a new calculator watch (gotta maintain my geek credentials!) or a three hole punch for the office) I always go to eBay first.

tanstaafl.

#234470 - 22/09/2004 07:53 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: msaeger]
Laura
pooh-bah

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#234471 - 22/09/2004 08:12 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: msaeger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
Does anyone know if Ebay would charge me again to relist the item ?
You can refuse the sale (buyer didn't comply with rules) and then file for a refund of the fees, never done it myself but it happens all the time.

Gareth

#234472 - 22/09/2004 08:46 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
g_attrill
old hand

I have bought quite a lot of stuff on ebay, usually unusual/rare stuff not availably anywhere else, IT/electrical items because the second hand prices are usually good, and the odd bargain when "I can't afford not to buy this!"

Eg. this week I bought:

- Lakeland chemical protection suit (for a friend's NYPD ESU kit-bag). Seller only shipped to US (no exceptions) so I had it shipped to my boss who is on holiday in NY and he's forwarding it onto me.

- Cisco 7960 IP-phone and a genuine power cube for it. Phone coming from Cardiff, power cube is coming from China. The feedback on China seller is over 500 and all positive.

As for scamming I have been very nearly burnt. I bought a fairly expensive item (from the US) and never heard back from the seller. About three months later I got an email from a supposed relative saying that they were "unable to attend to their responsibilties". I guessed that meant they were dead or in jail. I got the item six weeks later, it was shipped by surface mail.

Gareth

#234473 - 22/09/2004 08:54 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: g_attrill]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Like anything else, you have to know what you are buying. You can still be burned that way, but ebay is still a great way (sometimes the only way) to find rare / out of production items.

#234474 - 22/09/2004 10:19 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: Laura]
g_attrill
old hand

Oh, one point - after 90 days the items disappear from your feedback list but you can still leave feedback by mangling the URL. This is a way to leave negative feedback while knowing that the other person is highly unlikely to be able to leave some in retaliation unless they know the trick.

The URL format is:
http:// feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveFeedbackShow
&item=XXXXXXXXXX&useridto=THEIRID&useridfrom=YOURID&transactid=0

Gareth

#234475 - 22/09/2004 15:53 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: msaeger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
I wonder if they are trying to scam me

Of course they are (just in case anyone is actually wondering ). Nigeria + Western Union money order makes it so obvious it's sad...

Google for "western union" "money order" ebay nigeria and you'll find plenty...

#234476 - 22/09/2004 19:55 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: mtempsch]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Sorry for the Hijack

I hear western union or wire transfer and immediately think scam

I emailed Ebay about getting the fee refunded they said for non paying bidders they refund the fee based on the sale price but not the listing fee. Yeah it's only 7.00 but it sucks that they still make money from the deal even though it was a scam bidder.

You would think I could choose to only allow USA buyers and the Ebay system would be smart enough to at least not let someone that calims to be outside of the USA bid on the item. According to Ebay the looser is in Singapore.

Matt

#234477 - 22/09/2004 20:30 Re: Another eBay rant [Re: msaeger]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Quote:
Yeah it's only 7.00 but it sucks that they still make money from the deal even though it was a scam bidder.

You should reverse scam the scammer to get your $7.00 back ala 419 Eater. That would just be classic.