Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244127 - 16/12/2004 03:32 Printer help needed
visuvius
addict

I've got a used HP Deskjet 842c with new color and black and white cartridges as well as the most updated drivers. Problem is, the only colors it seems to print are in the pink to lavender range. Black is fine, but color is totally off. The printer test page prints succesfully but its all a bunch of blues, pinks and purples. Everything is set up properly and i'm at my wits end trying to figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?

#244128 - 16/12/2004 08:57 Re: Printer help needed [Re: visuvius]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
a bunch of blues, pinks and purples

Sounds like there's no yellow ink printing. If the cartridge is new and contains yellow ink (maybe you got a dodgy cartridge - have you tried another?), check the print head, the contacts on the edge of the cartridge and in the printer for damage or anything that shouldn't be there such as remnants of the protective label.

I'm assuming you've done a couple of print head cleans, so try cleaning the ink jets on the cartridge manually - blot it on some tissue paper and possibly try cleaning it with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl. Also try giving it a couple of hard knocks on the desk as that might dislodge any air bubbles in the cartridge.

#244129 - 16/12/2004 13:06 Re: Printer help needed [Re: visuvius]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
It's really common on this type of HP printer to break the yellow wire in the print head ribbon cable.

There's a place on-line that sells the ribbon assembly and has instructions on how to replace it (love those HP break-to-remove cases), but unfortunately, I evidently didn't bookmark it.

#244130 - 16/12/2004 15:42 Re: Printer help needed [Re: David]
visuvius
addict

I did the print head cleans and something called "Priming" which didnt seem to help. I'll have to manually clean it as recommended and i'll try looking closer for damage. Bleh. I really hope that the cable larry818 mentioned isnt the problem. thx for the help.