Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247716 - 27/01/2005 16:50 Re: Rain Woman [Re: Ladmo]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Quote:

Over here we don't have as much anti-Semitism and it's certainly not tollerated.

Well, I am a Jew, and I have been insulted, spit on, gun pulled on, knife pulled on, violence directed at, my cars trashed (and it's HARD to trash a junker!), had my home vandalized, and my family threatened. But that is to be expected from 'low brows'. But when someone calls me a 'Nazi', I have to laugh! Ignorance is such a preventable illness.

Maybe it's just where I live and where I've been then. I must not be that exposed to it, nor must most of my Jewish friend (you excluded obviously). I've seen far more violence taken out on SUVs and new sub-divisions than I have against Jews in the local news. And I'm not from a small town without a significant Jewish population either.

#247717 - 27/01/2005 17:34 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I expect a volunteer organization which exists to provide care in 3rd world countries should not be scared for the lives of their workers to the point of pulling out, or we haven't actually finished...

#247718 - 27/01/2005 18:27 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
At this point, we're both speculating, but I'm glad to know you're not among those rooting for failure so they can yell, "I told you so!"

Who are these people who are rooting for failure? Are these the anti-American Americans (those....anti-American..liberals!)I keep hearing about on demagogue radio (but who I can't seem to find?).

I exaggerate. I suspect that there there are some identifiable Americans out there whose criticism of wrongheaded American policy is so strident that it starts to take on an anti-American cast. That "Noam" guy. But if I look at the sometimes contrarian opinions of say, the recently departed Ms. Sontag, I don't see an "anti-American". I see an increasingly precious part of critical political discourse that is slipping away in favor of fascist-flavored media labeling and bombast.

Am I *rooting* for failure? I think Rush et al work pretty hard to equate *predicting* failure with rooting for failure. I feel a responsibility to predict failure if that is my conviction. Do I wanna tell my sisters "Oh, don't worry about <my nephew>, cuz it's all going to work out great in Iraq?" Should we not opine/predict? When placing the country in a complete lose/lose situation, it is pretty hard to predict success (although we seem to have a pretty good supply of functionaries who try!). Should I try to predict success like the starry-eyed Rumsfelds and Condis?

The good news? Jim is not going to get personally killed in Iraq. As things go badly, will I be here saying "I told you so"? Oh, you bet. I wouldn't want anybody who dreamily imagined that this huge cockup was anything but that to be able to kid themselves. Wrong yesterday. Wrong tomorrow.

Quote:
Afghanistan was called a quagmire and "the next Vietnam" too. I'm glad they were wrong on that one.

Some people predicted quagmire, I guess. But many fewer people opposed that war initially on basic anti-war grounds even though we went to war without acknowledging some key facts about our enemies, "allies" and possible strategies and costs.

Karzai isn't called the "Mayor of Kabul" for nothing. Afghanistan is part of a region. I don't think it can be treated as a compartment separate from places like Pakistan. We made some mistakes and then made some bigger ones -- diverted focus. As Derrick suggests, the country is not secure. Not only has the Fat Lady not sung, I don't think her costume is back from the cleaners yet.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#247719 - 27/01/2005 19:47 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Karzai isn't called the "Mayor of Kabul" for nothing.

Nice graphic from the BBC's coverage. Presumably the white areas are the "swing states" of the new Afghan "democracy", where no single horde of murderous drug barons has a clear majority.

Peter

#247720 - 27/01/2005 21:50 Re: Rain Woman [Re: peter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Presumably the white areas are the "swing states" of the new Afghan "democracy", where no single horde of murderous drug barons has a clear majority.

Sigh. Well, thanks for that link. Hadn't seen that. Sigh.

#247721 - 28/01/2005 01:20 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
the "neocon" term ironically is most commonly used to imply "conservative Jew"

I'm not really sure quite how it's ironic at all (because of your implied connection to neo-Nazism?), but it's worth it to point out that the Neo-Conservative movement came about as a result of a group of Democrats being unhappy with their party's doveish nature, especially in regards to the Middle East, and decided to leave, en masse, to join the Republican party. The vast majority of these people were Jews, and their hawkish nature towards the Middle Easy largely stemmed from their connection with Israel and its hawkish nature towards the rest of the Middle East. Of course, many of their notions stemmed from post-Nazi eastern European hardline Communism, in which many of them were raised, or at least about which they had heard stories from their parents. I'm not trying to imply some Jewish conspiracy, by the way. This is all pretty well open and common knowledge. I have no particular problem with their devotion to Israel other than my general dislike of organized religion and disagreement with the policies in general. It seems to me it's kind of like being devoted to North Carolina or Michigan or whereever you grew up. (Of course, it isn't as if they grew up there, but there's a similar bond.)

Quote:
I'm sure once Bitt gets wind of this, it'll be impossible for me to physically have the time to reply to everything!

Are you implying that I'm overly loquacious? Never!

Honestly, I don't have the energy to care. It's obvious what this administration's agenda is, and I don't have any notion that they'll be putting any more moderate people in power. (I honestly haven't looked at the other new "lesser" cabinet members at all.) All I can do is wait it out and try to convince people how much in opposition to this country's founding principles our current administration is, so we can get a good, solid LIBERAL in office next year.

Oh, one other thing I'd like to point out:

Quote:
It's amazing how people who are liberals get so defensive about the word.

Have you noticed how often black people these days seem to refer to themselves and each other as "niggers"? How about when a white guy calls them that? You think that they think it's meant the same way? That's the same way that most conservative pundits use the term "liberal" today. I'm a better man than to take it as an insult. I'm damned proud to be a liberal, and if someone tries to insult me by calling me one, he's done a piss-poor job of it.

#247722 - 28/01/2005 01:25 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Over here we don't have as much anti-Semitism and it's certainly not tollerated.

ha ha ha ha ha HFS hah ha ha!

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're either joking or haven't travelled much in the US.

Nope, quite serious. Yes, in a country of 295,340,413 people, I'm sure you can list dozens and dozens of instances, but anti-Semetism is openly condemmed here in the USA. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the nuts who think that the world is run by 5 Jewish bankers on the top of some hill, but in contrast with parts of Europe, those people are hardly mainstream. The have to resort to secret little clubs and books etc. Maybe you're just hanging out with the wrong people?

Maybe you're just not very good an doing research? I don't think _ww.KKK.com qualifies as a "secret little club" as you put it Brad.

Nor is _ww.americannaziparty.com....

Ironically, they're in Michigan. Perhaps you live near the wrong people? How can you cast dispersions at Heather when she's simply pointing out that something you said is obviously stated from a point of view totally lacking in knowledge of the facts? Finding those websites required me to:

1) assume the KKK had a web site.
2) type their name sandwiched by "www." and ".com"
3) Assume there was an active Nazi party in the US.
4) See above

Which is approximately 4 steps more than you took to verify your warrant before posting. And do you know why those sites exist, Brad. Because we not only accept it, we defend their right to do it. Sadly.

And by the way, maybe I'm wrong, but I think "neo-" also goes quite nicely with:

-lithic
-classical
-futurist
-phyte
-tropical
-impressionism
-natal

...and by itself it can even be Near Earth Object.

But I quess you're right. If you do nothing but watch US broadcast media for your information, you might not have beenexposed to some of those.

No offense Brad, you've always seemed like a pretty decent fellow, but you're coming off as someone who seems like he has a bit of a martyr complex going on. If you're the only one who's right, does it matter if everyone is going to "gang up on you" as you expect? Can't you just prove everyone is wong with carefully researched examples?

#247723 - 28/01/2005 04:00 Re: Rain Woman [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Bitt,

Brad: the "neocon" term ironically is most commonly used to imply "conservative Jew"
I didn't have time or inclination to take Brad to task for some very broad statements. Others took up those tasks who I thought were speaking to those statements more personally. Reading this line, though, I am troubled. Where did this "is most commonly used" come from? Your deliniation of neocon history, Bitt, seems pretty straightforward for anyone who is willing to spend a few minutes with Google..

I have heard a couple of commentatotors on the radio, David Frum comes to mind, offer near-sotto voce comments like "well, those people have a thinly-veiled antisemitic agenda" in a defensive shot at critics of US-Mideast policy. So is this it? Critical mention of "Neocon" as antisemitic codeword? That is what this smells of to me. The sneakily-implying Frums of the world piss me off.

Quote:
It seems to me it's kind of like being devoted to North Carolina or Michigan or whereever you grew up. (Of course, it isn't as if they grew up there, but there's a similar bond.)

I would take friendly issue with this assessment. It's a pretty flawed analogy, but Sherman didn't march through the south and kill all the women and children....

Apropos this point, in my waking moments this morning, I heard a bit of oral history from a 50-something Jewish woman (in New York?) whose Dad was an Auschwitz survivor. Throughout her life, her Dad sheltered her from his concentration camp reality with "Oh, it wasn't that bad..." Finally, with Dad approaching his deathbed, the daughter forced her Dad to fess up. I'm doing a lousy job of describing this, but it was very affecting. Ah, easy, it is here.

Anyhow, all I mean to say is that, even for some (Jewish) people of my age who have never been there, I think Israel means a whole lot more than North Carolina. Now, does that make Israeli political policy correct or exempt from criticism? Hardly. Frum shouldn't have to spend his time searching out critics of Israeli policy in the US. There are plenty of them in Israel.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't have the energy to care. It's obvious what this administration's agenda is, and I don't have any notion that they'll be putting any more moderate people in power. (I honestly haven't looked at the other new "lesser" cabinet members at all.) All I can do is wait it out and try to convince people how much in opposition to this country's founding principles our current administration is, so we can get a good, solid LIBERAL in office next year.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. The people have spoken! All events, nominations, etc. since November 2 completely predictable.

Some of the Democratic criticism did take the form of complaining about the color of the deck chairs, but as I think Tony mentioned, I also did take pleasure in listening to some of the more direct questioning and criticism of Rice such as Boxer's... maybe even more Mark Rice (MN) "I don't like to impugn anyone's integrity, but I really don't like being lied to repeatedly, flagrantly, intentionally," he said. "It's wrong. It's undemocratic, it's un-American, and it's dangerous."

I think it was Danial Schorr this evening who mentioned that Boxer's words could be used in foreign capitols to discourage aid to US efforts in Iraq. If so, I'm sure the Rushs will rail against anti-American senators who are undermining our shot at victory over evil. So, what are anti-American Americans to do? Not demand the truth? Confirm liars to cabinet appointments without taking exception?

...Brad, I read with interest Webroach's very recent, critical post. I think I have to agree with what he's saying. It's not enough to be the ganged-up-on minority. With statements like the "neocon" one above, I gotta ask how much research you are doing.

#247724 - 28/01/2005 05:04 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, I won't deny the differences between loyalty to your hometown and loyalty to your 5000-year promised land. My point was simply that I could understand the loyalty, even if I disagree. It does raise some parallels to current US culture, I think, in the realm of wanting to be loyal even while disagreeing versus feeling like you must agree in order to be loyal. I know I'm torn in my allegiance to the US. I know that it still has the capability of great things, even if I'l terribly, terribly disappointed at it at the moment. I imagine it's quite a bit like being a parent and finding drugs in your child's room. Or Lawrence Welk albums.

Quote:
next year

Uh, I meant next election.

#247725 - 28/01/2005 06:23 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Apropos this point, in my waking moments this morning, I heard a bit of oral history from a 50-something Jewish woman (in New York?) whose Dad was an Auschwitz survivor.

And speaking of Auschwitz, I just watching the pics and reading the accounts of the 60th anniversary, with the largest gathering of survivors ever (and likely forever). Tony Blair, Vladimir Putin, Viktor Yushchenko, Jacques Chirac and Horst Köhler were all there. Where was Bush? Where was Condoleezza Rice?

And as most of us know, the World Economic Forum is on again in Davos right now. All major word leaders from politics and business gathered together, with their main concern being "How to prevent the US train wreck from pulling down the World Economy? What happens when China stops propping up the US Dollar? And what to do to really solve the problems in Africa?"

Nice pics with Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, Bill Gates, Thabo Mbeki Olusegun Obasanjo and the ever-present Bono in a group session. Where is Bush? Where is Rice? Ahh, yes, back home making speeches about "liberty throughout the world"...

#247726 - 28/01/2005 15:42 Re: Rain Woman [Re: wfaulk]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Quote:
next year

Uh, I meant next election.

Shhh. You know you're not supposed to talk about the revolutionary plans in public.

pca

#247727 - 28/01/2005 18:02 Re: Rain Woman [Re: Daria]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I expect a volunteer organization which exists to provide care in 3rd world countries should not be scared for the lives of their workers to the point of pulling out, or we haven't actually finished...

I never claimed anything was finished, but I still believe that it is a significant accomplishment to date.

#247728 - 28/01/2005 18:36 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I see an increasingly precious part of critical political discourse that is slipping away in favor of fascist-flavored media labeling and bombast.

Assuming I understand what you mean, I'll agree with you on this. I think both sides are equaly at blame. What's sad is that the labeling and bombasting isn't just in the media anymore - it's made it's way the floors of Congress. Maybe we were spoiled in the last half century. It seems that this type of politics was quite common in the not too distant history.

Quote:
Am I *rooting* for failure? I think Rush et al work pretty hard to equate *predicting* failure with rooting for failure. I feel a responsibility to predict failure if that is my conviction. Do I wanna tell my sisters "Oh, don't worry about <my nephew>, cuz it's all going to work out great in Iraq?" Should we not opine/predict? When placing the country in a complete lose/lose situation, it is pretty hard to predict success (although we seem to have a pretty good supply of functionaries who try!). Should I try to predict success like the starry-eyed Rumsfelds and Condis?

Well, we certainly have a disconnect here then. Are you truely "convict(ed).. to predict failure"? I could undertand if you saw failure and were convicted to express it, but it seems that being determined to arrive a certain prediction is pretty close to rooting for it (failure). The Iraq War is far from a lose/lose situation in most people's minds. We can go on and on about who is more likely to be right, but there have already been a million threads on this and I don't think this one needs to stray into that area. But the only way to ensure failure is to concede to it. Ted Kennedy seems to prefer this route, I do not.

Quote:
Karzai isn't called the "Mayor of Kabul" for nothing. Afghanistan is part of a region. I don't think it can be treated as a compartment separate from places like Pakistan. We made some mistakes and then made some bigger ones -- diverted focus. As Derrick suggests, the country is not secure. Not only has the Fat Lady not sung, I don't think her costume is back from the cleaners yet.

Do you really go through life predicting doom and gloom at every turn? Would anything short of Utopia satisfy you? There were a LOT of people shouting that military victory in Afghanistan was impossible and had in fact already been lost. We were going to ignite a nuclear war between Pakistan and India. Iran was going to jump into the frey. I'm not claiming that things are all hunky dory over there, but it amazes me what sort of results are being expected here. Maybe this wholePESD thing is real.

#247729 - 28/01/2005 18:56 Re: Rain Woman [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm not really sure quite how it's ironic at all (because of your implied connection to neo-Nazism?)

Yes. This was all brought up because someone got so defensive over the term "liberal" and thought I was using as some sort of attack. We're getting WAY off subject here: Dr. Rice.

Quote:
It seems to me it's kind of like being devoted to North Carolina or Michigan or whereever you grew up.

Actually, very few Jews from that time grew up in what is now Israel I imagine. Everytime I read or learn more about how the UK and US started that whole mess by promissng this and that, I cringe.

Quote:
All I can do is wait it out and try to convince people how much in opposition to this country's founding principles our current administration is, so we can get a good, solid LIBERAL in office next year.

Did you use "founding principles" and "LIBERAL" in the same sentence? ? ? That's it. I officially blame this whole mess on the "Founding Fathers" for not being more specific!

Quote:
I'm damned proud to be a liberal, and if someone tries to insult me by calling me one, he's done a piss-poor job of it.

Well, I'm glad to know that you're not one of the (hopefully few) liberals who want to equate their "struggle" with the Limbaughs of the world with slavery of the civil rights struggle!

I even have a few friends that are liberals. I even invited one to my house once. Well, we actually just worked together at the same job.

#247730 - 28/01/2005 19:26 Re: Rain Woman [Re: webroach]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Maybe you're just not very good an doing research? I don't think _ww.KKK.com qualifies as a "secret little club" as you put it Brad.

First off, I'm not really sure how any of this came up. I'll need to re-read some of the first page posts. My point was simply that from the news reports I read every day (usually Reuters, AP or my local news feeds that get sent to my home page everyday) I see far more violence conducted against Jews in Europe (France in particular) than I do in the US.

Yes, the KKK have a web site. So does my neighbor's kid's band. Probably about as sophisticated. I think that doing a LexisNexis (or however you spell it) news seach would be more insightful than seeing who has a web page.

But the point is, the KKK is a joke. Ever since they lost in civil court (and IIRC a black woman who lost her son to KKK violence was awarded all of their property) the KKK is limited to Jerry Springer episodes and getting spit on while trying to be included as part of some city's local parade.

And I didn't look into that www .americannazi. com link, but I did see in the news yesterday they are wanting or did adopt some local road. Yep, they're striking fear into the hearts of litterbugs! Again, these people are a joke. Does that mean that we should condemn them or keep an eye on them? Absolutely not.

Quote:
And by the way, maybe I'm wrong, but I think "neo-" also goes quite nicely with:

-lithic
-classical
-futurist
-phyte
-tropical
-impressionism
-natal

Again, this was a minor side comment I made and I think we're wasting time discussing it when we're supposed to be talking about how Dr. Rice is a parrot for President Bush (oops, I mean for the people who are secretly running the White House through the conduit of President Bush), however I clearly said that the "casual observor" might make that association. I also said that those two terms were the only two that have been popularized. Not only do none of your excellent finds have anything to do with politics, I doubt that the average person is well versed in neophyte religious studies.

Quote:
But I quess you're right. If you do nothing but watch US broadcast media for your information, you might not have beenexposed to some of those.

Perhaps you'd prefer I Tivo the BBC or CBC broadcasts? Lots of documentaries on neoimpressionism that I'm missing out on? Perhaps a new reality show on neolithic studies that's all the rage?

Quote:
No offense Brad, you've always seemed like a pretty decent fellow, but you're coming off as someone who seems like he has a bit of a martyr complex going on. If you're the only one who's right, does it matter if everyone is going to "gang up on you" as you expect? Can't you just prove everyone is wong with carefully researched examples?

Martyr complex? I give a knowing wink to Jim about how I know I'm going to get out numbered on this and you think I'm trying a whole "pitty me" routine? I was simply stating that I know I have the minority view on these boards but I still enjoy debate - even if I get out numbered sometimes. I think the only time that I've even got offended here is when I read that someone here had a small view of anyone that was religous and I knew that it included me. Yeah, that hurt, but I just took a break from Off Topic and got over it. I'm sorry if I give you the impression that I saw myself as some sort of David vs. Goliath here.

And thanks. You're um.. decent too.

#247731 - 28/01/2005 19:39 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
...Brad, I read with interest Webroach's very recent, critical post. I think I have to agree with what he's saying. It's not enough to be the ganged-up-on minority. With statements like the "neocon" one above, I gotta ask how much research you are doing.

I'm confused. I said that "neo-con" is "most commonly used to mean conservative Jew". And THIS was only said after Tony made reference to those pesky "neo cons". And the whole point of that paragragh was to say I don't mind being called conservative so I don't understand why some liberals get so defensive about it.

Bitt gave more details that give some context and history to the origins of "neo-con". That supported my "common usage" statement.

Jim agreed that he proudly calls himself a liberal and doesn't view it as an attack (or even when it is, it's not an effective one).

So what's the gripe here?

#247732 - 28/01/2005 21:12 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Actually, we traded one set of bad circumstances (oppressive single government) for a different one (regional warlords and a region which is freer albeit with a higher ambient danger level than before at the center of the country). For some people it is more of an improvement, for others, not so much.

And of course, rather than actually finishing this before moving on, we have largely moved on.

#247733 - 28/01/2005 21:52 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Quote:

First off, I'm not really sure how any of this came up. I'll need to re-read some of the first page posts. My point was simply that from the news reports I read every day (usually Reuters, AP or my local news feeds that get sent to my home page everyday) I see far more violence conducted against Jews in Europe (France in particular) than I do in the US.

Fair enough. That may have been your point, but that has nothing to do with the claim you made relating to anti-Semitism in the United States.

Quote:

Yes, the KKK have a web site. So does my neighbor's kid's band. Probably about as sophisticated. I think that doing a LexisNexis (or however you spell it) news seach would be more insightful than seeing who has a web page.

But the point is, the KKK is a joke. Ever since they lost in civil court (and IIRC a black woman who lost her son to KKK violence was awarded all of their property) the KKK is limited to Jerry Springer episodes and getting spit on while trying to be included as part of some city's local parade.

And I didn't look into that www .americannazi. com link, but I did see in the news yesterday they are wanting or did adopt some local road. Yep, they're striking fear into the hearts of litterbugs! Again, these people are a joke. Does that mean that we should condemn them or keep an eye on them? Absolutely not.

So could you please explain in detail how them being a joke (which I'm sure is an opinion that would go over quite nicely at the Auschwitz rememberance) equates to them not being anti-Semetic? Because you know, it's possible to clean up a highway and still hate Jews. And your original statement had nothing to do with the level of respect you have for people such as this; you stated that we "we don't have as much anti-Semitism and it's certainly not tolerated" which is, sadly, simply not true. We have plenty and it is tolerated.

And your neighbor's kid's band is not under discussion here, nor debate. I understand it was an attempt to dismiss the argument, but it doesn't serve that purpose. After all, nobody ever said that we "certainly don't tolerate Brad's neighbor's kid's band", did we?

Quote:
Quote:

-lithic
-classical
-futurist
-phyte
-tropical
-impressionism
-natal

Again, this was a minor side comment I made and I think we're wasting time discussing it when we're supposed to be talking about how Dr. Rice is a parrot for President Bush (oops, I mean for the people who are secretly running the White House through the conduit of President Bush), however I clearly said that the "casual observor" might make that association. I also said that those two terms were the only two that have been popularized. Not only do none of your excellent finds have anything to do with politics, I doubt that the average person is well versed in neophyte religious studies.

I disagree. You actually went into a fair bit of detail as to your feelings about the term. And, yes, you also pointed out that people were welcome to "toss the 'neo' in there so that the casual observer might associate it with 'neo-nazi'.." Kind of a non-sequiter if you ask me (I personally never made that association until you brought it up), but that's just my opinion. You also stated later, in response to Rob, that "the only two 'neo-anythings' that have popular meaning are neo-con and neo-nazi" which is a sweeping generalization, and one that has the added benefit of being incorrect. You may want to reconsider; not everyone is confused by the above terms. Pretty much everyone in my circle could explain any of them. If you're right, and the general populace of the US can't, then we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

As to us wasting time when we're "supposed to be talking about how Dr. Rice is a parrot...", I would humbly submit that we are addressing side arguments you've made in relation to the central argument. Did you yourself not say that the cabinet is there to carry out the president's policies and not be at odds with them? What exactly is that, if not parroting? And if that is what she does, your argument regarding her qualifications is pointless; you don't need to be qualified to do and say what you're told to do and say.

And by the way, neophyte does not just refer to religous pursuits. It can apply to pretty much anything. Including politics, as in "Though he was a neophyte, the new congressman showed promise". You can even use it in regards to cogent argumentation.

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps you'd prefer I Tivo the BBC or CBC broadcasts?

Might not be a bad idea. Is there something wrong, in your opinion, with having more than one source of information? Or is that just a myth perpetrated by the liberal media?

Quote:
Lots of documentaries on neoimpressionism that I'm missing out on? Perhaps a new reality show on neolithic studies that's all the rage?

It strikes me as odd that you seem to be making fun of any kind of intellectual pursuit. And yeah, you're missing out on them. Give the Discovery networks a shot once in the while. I know they don't bash on "liberals", but still, they're ok if your're up for learning about more than how to argue about who's right or wrong....

Quote:

And thanks. You're um.. decent too.

Hrm.. I say thank you, and I really mean that. But I get the idea from the way you put that that there may be some confusion as to the meaning of the word "decent". It's not dismissive; it's a compliment. Hopefully you understood my intention when I said you were decent.

#247734 - 28/01/2005 22:02 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Redrum
old hand

Open Letter to Brad:

Thanks for expressing the conservative stance so well in the midst of this bombardment, with ya bro. Yes I agree that this is a lost cause for most on this board. However it may help to sway some anonymous reader that is not sucked in by the overwhelming number of liberals here.

It is sad that some people’s “estimation” of you has gone down because of your stance/beliefs. Of course that is what inevitably happens when people do not agree. Your still the same Brad as always but since you disagree with them you are somehow less. Note: See history – every war and prejudice is usually not personal but belief oriented.

Well I’m not going to comment much on this subject because I don’t care and need to get back to my “capitalistic raping of forests, sea turtles and natural resource.” I also need to kick my dog, finish my fourth beer and beat my wife and kids. Got to take it out on them because my 4x4 is broken (not really all that but the don’t care about this subject and need another beer is correct).

Keep on keeping on.

Hey, after all, what do they want, she’s black isn’t she?

#247735 - 28/01/2005 22:27 Re: Rain Woman [Re: Redrum]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Hey, after all, what do they want, she’s back isn’t she?

I can only assume you meant to say black.

Becuase you know that's all anyone who doesn't agree with your particular brand of "keep on keepin'g on" politics cares about, right?

What happens when people don't agree (or what should happen) is that they try to figure out their differences by discussing them, without using overly inflammatory language and (one would hope) without making it all about attacks?

I don't get what you're trying to say with the "lost cause" comment. Are you saying that any of us that don't agree with you are "lost causes"? Because if so, who's doing the "bombarding"?

And I hate to break this to you, but peoples opinions of others are formed by eachothers stances and beliefs, among other things. What do you base your opinion of others on?

Thanks for dropping by to slather sarcasm all over the thread. We were running a bit low, ya know. If you don't care about it, I would have to ask:

A) Why comment on it at all?
B) How is it that you have such powerful opinions on something you "don't care about"?

And if you think Mrs. Rice being black or white or whatever matters to any of us, I think you've really made an unfortunate mistake. I personally think that this board has better things to worry about than sombody's ethnic background. I personally look at her as simply another person.

Do you?

#247736 - 28/01/2005 22:38 Re: Rain Woman [Re: schofiel]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
Quote:
And you lot voted for these pillocks.
You do know that statement was patently false for the denizens of this board, right? I've never voted for a Republican in my life. Of course, I've never voted for a Democrat for U.S. President in my life, either. Just smarter, better-qualified, and generally more moral and ethical human beings who, almost by definition, are unaffiliated with either of the two major political parties, and who again almost by definition, can and will never, ever win the Oval Office. Drats.

#247737 - 28/01/2005 22:47 Re: Rain Woman [Re: DLF]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
You do know that statement was patently false for the denizens of this board, right?

I think Rob was referring to the euphemistic "you"; in this case referring to the people of the US. I'm only assuming, of course.

Quote:
I've never voted for a Republican in my life. Of course, I've never voted for a Democrat for U.S. President in my life, either. Just smarter, better-qualified, and generally more moral and ethical human beings who, almost by definition, are unaffiliated with either of the two major political parties.....

I only wish more people would make wise choices like this.

#247738 - 28/01/2005 22:59 Re: Rain Woman [Re: Ladmo]
DLF
addict

Quote:
... it's HARD to trash a junker!
Now that I think about it, ALL my Jewish friends drive PoS cars. So where are you guys supposed to be doing all that vicious hoarding of America's money and selfish monopolization of all the world's precious resources, anyway? As for really being a Nazi, well at least I hope your junker is a beat-up old VW Bug.

#247739 - 28/01/2005 23:08 Re: Rain Woman [Re: wfaulk]
DLF
addict

Quote:
The vast majority of these people were Jews,...
Meaning that Paul Wolfowitz will be played in the movie version of Iraq by Ron Silver!

Quote:
It seems to me it's kind of like being devoted to North Carolina....
Which is why I left the Appalachians in 1991 for the Rockies!

Quote:
Have you noticed how often black people these days seem to refer to themselves and each other as "niggers"? How about when a white guy calls them that? You think that they think it's meant the same way? That's the same way that most conservative pundits use the term "liberal" today. I'm a better man than to take it as an insult. I'm damned proud to be a liberal, and if someone tries to insult me by calling me one, he's done a piss-poor job of it.
Or like in the scene from the maudlin classic "Brian's Song," a laughably poor job.

#247740 - 28/01/2005 23:18 Re: Rain Woman [Re: webroach]
DLF
addict

Quote:
I personally look at her as simply another person.
Or the same ol' person, in the sense meant by the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Edit: Speaking of dropping by with a spit-bucket full o' sarcasm...

Edited by DLF (28/01/2005 23:19)

#247741 - 29/01/2005 01:05 Re: Rain Woman [Re: Redrum]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
finish my fourth beer

Fourth?

Yeah, right.

#247742 - 29/01/2005 02:14 Re: Rain Woman [Re: DLF]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
You do know that statement was patently false for the denizens of this board, right? I've never voted for a Republican in my life.

I did. I voted for Arlen Specter in the primary, and I voted for Arlen Specter in the general election. I do not and have not concealed that fact. For reasons of local candidate availability in my former place of residence, I am still registered Republican. I am unsure if I want to reregister Democrat. I will not register Independent, I see no reason to throw away my primary election votes either.

#247743 - 29/01/2005 03:26 Re: Rain Woman [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Daring to Fly

A play in one short act.

Scene: San Francisco, on the northern approach to the Golden Gate Bridge. Behind the wheel of a small silver Japanes station wagon is WagonBoy, having driven south from the darkness of the Northwest winter to score some Humboldt bud, commune with fellow anti-American liberals, and marry another man.

The wagon, Washington plate 2LEFT4U, weaves between lanes so that WagonBoy can have the opportunity to flash the peace sign at all other cars climbing on to the fabled, glorious Red span of Utopian Socialism.

As WagonBoy nears the midpoint of the bridge he spies 3 men mounting the rail of the bridge. WagonBoy's bleeding heart almost comes to a complete stop. He pulls the handbrake, cuts the wheel to start a skid, and manages a 60-0 1-second stop in the curb lane behind the 3 men.

Two young men, looking a bit nervous and forlorn, stand on the rail on either side of an older man who holds one of each of their hands aloft in the manner of a referee at a prizefight. The older man, wearing wizened wire rim glasses and an expensive suit and with nary a hair out of place, turns to WagonBoy to reveal a radiant, knowing, confident smile. The youth on the left, a pale white boy with a white wall haircut and acne wears an OD t-shirt and some desert cammy pants. On the right a much darker-complected youth wears a very worn pair of Adidas and a torn "Hard Rock Cafe - Kirkuk" T-shirt.

[WagonBoy, shouting]: "Hey! Hey! What the hell are you *doing*???

[WiseOldMan]: "Well, I am teaching these boys to fly! Isn't that great? What a day, huh? Couldn't be a better day for flying!"

[WagonBoy]: "Flying? Are your crazy? If you step off there you are all going to die!"

(young white boy directs a confused glance at WagonBoy...)

[WagonBoy]: "Hey, you? Are you going along with this? What's your name?"

[white boy, Jared]: "Ummm, Jared. Ummm, I dunno. Everybody says it's cool to fly...and like if I get the chance I shouldn't pass it up!"

[WagonBoy]: "Hey and you, Hard Rock: What's up? Are you actually going along with this??"

[hard rock boy, Ahmad]: "Well, yes. My father, Ahmad son of Ahmad insisted that any of his sons fly if given the chance!"

[WagonBoy]: "Old man you are *crazy*!! Anybody who's ever jumped off here has *died*! It's that simple! You're not birds, you're men! You are way too heavy!"

[WiseOldMan]: "Actually, we are not too heavy. I have carefully measured my weight and I weigh only 1.3 kilos. According to my careful calculations, my flight dynamics are quite good. Now Jared and Ahmad here, they weigh only 700 grams each. They should have no problem at all!"

[WagonBoy]: "That's insane! No way do you weigh 1.3 kilos! Have you discussed this with your doctor?"

[WiseOldMan]: "Well, actually I have, but you know I have got to say that my doctor has been in his job too long. He seems to have lost the ability to look at issues of mass and flight in new ways. If I paid too much attention to him, nobody would ever get off the ground!....Besides, and I have this on very solid authority, there are massive air pockets in the tidal flows below the bridge that will cushion any landing in the unlikely event that we encounter any previously-imponderable ambiguities in the areas of flight dynamics management or atmospheric density."

(At this moment, a small silver Japanese sedan comes buzzing down the northbound lanes, executes a U-Turn, jumps the median, and comes to a stop next to WagonBoy. A pale, white man, wearing a "Live Free or ...Whatever" T-shirt jumps out and starts shouting.)

[pale guy, SedanMan]: "Hey you! (to WagonBoy) What are you doing? Why are you bothering these people? Are you rooting for them to kill themselves? That is *sick*! You should be arrested!"

[WagonBoy]: "Well who the hell are you and what the hell are you doing barging in here when you don't know what the hell is really going on?"

[SedanMan]: "Don't tell me I don't know what is going on! I'm SedanMan and I just drove straight through from Detroit to come diss all the liberals in San Francisco! You're one of them, aren't you?"

[WagonBoy]: "Well, genius, your arrival is untimely. These people are trying to kill themselves and I am trying to stop them. Why the heck didn't you stay home and diss some liberals there?"

[SedanMan]: "Well, I was going to drive up to Ann Arbor and diss some liberals, but I figured I might get shot along the way for driving a foreign car! .....But hey, I'm asking the questions here! Why are you rooting these people on? Trying to make them kill themselves?"

[WagonBoy]: "I am *NOT* trying to make them kill themselves! The idiots, at least the old yo-yo with the glasses and the snazzy tie, think that they are going *flying*! I gotta stop them!"

[SedanMan]: "Well, flying, that's a completely different story! Why the heck are you trying to keep them from going flying?"

[WagonBoy]: "They're not going to fly, they're going to be killed!!"

[WiseOldMan]: "I *remind* you that I only weigh 1.3 kilos and that my power-to-weight ratio exceeds accepted nominal thresholds given what we know about ambient air temperatures around the bridge pylons and that the angle of approach to the water should be quite acceptable given the massive air bubbles below the surface!"

[SedanMan]: "You see! He only weighs 1.3 kilos and that his power-to-weight ratio exceeds accepted nominal thresholds given what we know about ambient air temperatures around the bridge pylons and that the angle of approach to the water should be quite acceptable given the massive air bubbles below the surface!"

(At this moment, SedanMan loses his footing and inadverdently steps sideways into the 2nd lane. A Lexus sedan driven by a California pornographer with California plate ACLU4U smashes into SedanMan, throwing him 80 commie meters down the road....the pornographer slows for a moment, just long enough to shout "take that you right-wing anti-pornography fascist!" and flip SedanMan the bird.... after about 45 seconds, SedanMan props himself up, gets to his feet and walks back to the railing.)

[SedanMan]: "Now, as I was saying: You see! He only weighs 1.3 kilos and his power-to-weight ratio exceeds accepted nominal thresholds given what we know about ambient air temperatures around the bridge pylons and that the angle of approach to the water should be quite acceptable given the massive air bubbles below the surface! So tell me again, why are you rooting for these gallant young fliers to die? You should be ashamed of yourself!"

[WagonBoy]: "Me? Ashamed of myself? Holy crap! You should get your head examined! You are going to help get all these people killed. Even if they somehow managed to survive the fall, there are great white sharks down there!!"

[WiseOldMan]: "Sharks are not a factor. We have carefully analyzed intelligence from our allies in the shark community and we can report that shark populations in the environs of this bridge have been decimated by the large air bubbles! What few sharks remain have been scattered and are in hiding!"

[SedanMan]: "You see? Sharks are not a factor. He has carefully analyzed intelligence from our allies in the shark community and he can report that shark populations in the environs of this bridge have been decimated by the large air bubbles! What few sharks remain have been scattered and are in hiding! So tell me again, why are you rooting for these gallant young fliers to die? You should be ashamed of yourself!"

(At this moment, SedanMan, now a little woozy, shifts his weight and steps in front of biodiesel-powered Volkswagen. The driver, a 50 year-old woman wearing granny glasses and a Mu-Mu, swerves to hit SedanMan squarely in the back, throwing him 90 socialist meters down the road. The driver stops by SedanMan's crumpled form and gets out to deliver a short, pithy, critical diatribe to SedanMan in favor of the endangered transgender great white sharks, then gets back into the VW, California plate LIBHERL, and speeds off..... after about 50 seconds, SedanMan props himself up, gets to his feet and walks back to the railing.)

[SedanMan]: "You see? Sharks are not a factor. He has carefully analyzed intelligence from our allies in the shark community and he can report that shark populations in the environs of this bridge have been decimated by the large air bubbles! What few sharks remain have been scattered and are in hiding! So tell me again, why are you rooting for these gallant young fliers to die? You should be ashamed of yourself!"

[WagonBoy]: "Holy Crap! I am not looking for you to die, but if you jump, you most certainly will. Gad, old man, if Jared and Ahmad die, their mothers will hate you forever and their fathers will swear vengeance against those of us who let it happen. Why don't you let them go? If you're so confident in your flight dynamics, you should be able to fly solo, right?"

[WiseOldMan]: "Now who says I was going flying? *Somebody* with experience has to remain in the control tower! ... Jared? Ahmad? Ready?"

#247744 - 29/01/2005 11:54 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Troll.

#247745 - 29/01/2005 14:13 Re: Rain Woman [Re: jimhogan]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Damn, Jim, sometimes you scintillate, squire
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >