Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248184 - 31/01/2005 14:36 Receiver and subwoofer problems?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am having some problems with my Sony receiver. It model # STR-SE501. Lately, my receiver makes a click sound (the same sound it makes when you turn it on) and then the rear speakers quit working. After awhile, it clicks again, and the rear speakers start working again. After trying to switch the subwoofer cable, I found that by wiggling the cable where it is inserted in the receiver, it causes that click sound too. Any ideas on what it might be? has anyone tried to take a receiver apart?

#248185 - 31/01/2005 18:54 Re: Receiver and subwoofer problems? [Re: burdell1]
Wood
new poster

Loc: Boston, MA
Just a guess, but replace the rear speaker cables and see if it still happens- it could be a short in the speaker wires. My receiver was clicking in/out like that and it was a bad splice in the wire: the +/- wires were crossing. (My fault on the splicing.)

I also had the same problem when I hung my rear speaker wires with thumbtacks. Needless to say I've gotten smarter about it now!

-Steve

#248186 - 31/01/2005 19:58 Re: Receiver and subwoofer problems? [Re: burdell1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
has anyone tried to take a receiver apart?

In the past, I've completely dismantled a Sony receiver and replaced its servo-controlled volume knob.

You could be looking at something as simple as a loose solder joint, or something as complex as a faulty component. But since you haven't tried to open it and actually look for the loose solder joint, I'm guessing that's not the sort of thing that you'd likely be prepared to repair yourself. If you were, you would have done that already.

The era of the local corner stereo/TV repair shop is waning, but a riffle through the phone book might prove fruitful. You might find someone to help you out.

#248187 - 31/01/2005 21:41 Re: Receiver and subwoofer problems? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The era of the local corner stereo/TV repair shop is waning, but a riffle through the phone book might prove fruitful.

Too true. We've only had one such store for the past 10 years or so in the entire northern VA area (as far as I'm aware). Of course, when I wanted to get service on my 12 year old Mitsubishi rear projection TV, they said they don't even make parts for it anymore. Looks like the companies don't make it easy for these shops.