Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248519 - 04/02/2005 18:39 Apple Airport Express question
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I understand that if the Airport Express is plugged into a router through the ethernet port it can act as a WiFi access point. I also understand that it can act as a client to an existing WiFi access point to allow music streaming and be a print server.

What I'm wondering is if the ethernet port will act as a bridge when the Airport Express is a WiFi client. Specifically, can I plug my XBox into it and have the XBox connect over WiFi to my existing access point/router?

#248520 - 04/02/2005 18:53 Re: Apple Airport Express question [Re: Dylan]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Yes. I use one in that config to connect my myth box to my network. I can pull up the config details later when I get home if you want them, but I don't remember it being terribly complicated. I think you just set it as a wifi relay or client and then check a box to bridge to the ethernet port.

-Mike

#248521 - 04/02/2005 18:57 Re: Apple Airport Express question [Re: mcomb]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Hmmmm... are you using an Apple access point? I found a discussion that stated the bridging functionality only worked when using the Express as an extender to another Apple access point.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040927125820995

I also found another discussion that said the WiFi extension will work with *some* gear other than Apple's. It's based on some sort of quasi-standard.

Edit: http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/why-appl...orks-015834.php

Edited by Dylan (04/02/2005 19:02)

#248522 - 04/02/2005 21:00 Re: Apple Airport Express question [Re: Dylan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Actually, the airport express can be used without a router. That's the (part of) the whole point. I suppose it's a bit of a swiss army knife device, so it's not correct to say "whole point" - different strokes for different folks. I think its versatility is what confuses some people and likely leads to a few scratched heads and lost sales.

So, without a router, you can still use it for music streaming, a print server as well as wireless access to a broadband connection (connect the modem to its ethernet port). Works in a hotel as well, just connect it to the ethernet jack in the room.

And yes, I've heard you can use it as an extender for many other wireless products - though I don't have a link saved and I can't remember which specific products. Someone else makes the components in the guts of the Apple boxes. The reason why extenders aren't universal is because everyone's doing a bit of their own magic.

Bruno

#248523 - 05/02/2005 00:16 Re: Apple Airport Express question [Re: Dylan]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
Hmmmm... are you using an Apple access point?

Nope, my Airport Express connects to a Buffalo Wireless WBRG54.

Quote:
I also found another discussion that said the WiFi extension will work with *some* gear other than Apple's.

I get the impression that they work with anything that will do WDS bridging. Some companies implemented their own protocols that aren't compatible. I'd do a google to make sure yours will play nice together.

-Mike