Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#255066 - 28/04/2005 23:02 Screensaver Changers....
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I am looking for a screensaver changer that will change the screensavers every couple of minutes or so.I tried one recently (Absolute Screensaver Changer) but it is quite buggy so I am trying to find a better one. However, I cannot seem to find a different one that....Any suggestions?

#255067 - 29/04/2005 00:30 Re: Screensaver Changers.... [Re: burdell1]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Because I'm paranoid, I'll say: avoid ALLLLLL screen saver changers.

Screen savers are a major infection vector for spyware and viri. Just like smileys, backgrounds, cute website games, and e-mail forwards; screen savers are the bug zapper that attracts careless computer users. Malicious coders know this and take full advantage, coding lots of malicious .SRC files.

With the popularity and hidden danger of screen savers, I'll guess that "screen saver accessories" are the next target. Paranoia justified by other "accessory" programs: I can't count the number of "instant message add on" programs which have JUNKED up many computers I've had to clean.

And after your bout with "Absolute Screensaver Changer", I'd give your Program Files, WinNT/System32, registry, and running process a close look for unexpected entries.

My overly paranoid rule(s) of thumb:
- If it's cute and pretty and makes computing more fun and giggly, AVOID at all costs.
- If the program name contains the noun form of its function and ends in "-er", AVOID at all costs. (ie: Spyware Killer, Virus Eraser, Spam Nuker, ... Absolute Screensaver Changer; all red flags).

Call me paranoid, but I've scraped a LOT of spy ware from a LOT of C:\Program Files and registries.