Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#260979 - 21/07/2005 13:20 Re: Really weird networking problem [Re: bonzi]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I run a wireless connection from my Tivo and Empeg MLord dock via a 10 bT Hub (not switched) and a wireless bridge. It had been working fine for about a year. A few weeks ago, the empeg traffic simply refused to go through the bridged link. The Tivo was connecting properly, getting daily updates from the web. I could reach the empeg through the hub just fine. If I rebooted the bridge, it'd sometimes work but just for a while. I updated the firmware on both wireless endpoints, to no avail.

I instituted a "ping empeg -t" on a machine on the other side of the wireless link, and it's been fine since. Annoying solution, but it's working for now.

-jk

#260980 - 21/07/2005 13:25 Re: Really weird networking problem [Re: jmwking]
tman
carpal tunnel

Is it a proper bridge or an ethernet converter type device? Ethernet converters are design to only have 1 device plugged into them because they take on the MAC address of the device connected.

#260981 - 21/07/2005 14:18 Re: Really weird networking problem [Re: tman]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
It's theoretically a proper bridge (a consumer grade bridge, so you never really know). It worked fine for two devices for a year, I've had guests' laptops plugged into it many times as a third device, with no problems. It's only the empeg traffic that's giving trouble. I've been thinking of replacing it with a newer setup anyway, so I've not worked on the problem a lot.

What I'd really like is a pair of wireless devices: One as a firewall and AP (with external VPN capability so I can listen to my home, docked empeg from work), and the other as a wireless bridge and AP (to give me better coverage on my deck out back). WPA2 and a/b/g (or just a and g). I'm just starting my hunt, though.

-jk

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2