Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#264660 - 07/09/2005 15:07 Looking for a decent addressbook program
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
The addressbook in Outlook Express is a perfect example of what I am looking for. The user will be entering in 2000+ addresses and really doesn't want to scroll through all the names when looking for a contact when sending an email. She only has about 50 regular contacts. The rest are used for mass mailings (not emails, emails support isn't even necessary).

Does anyone have any free software they can recommend?

Thanks!

#264661 - 07/09/2005 15:13 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: ShadowMan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Umm, Outlook Express? Is it an example of what you do or don't want?

I can tell you that Thunderbird is both free and has email address autocompletion. That is, I can type in part of an email address and it will suggest matches interactively.

#264662 - 07/09/2005 15:18 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: wfaulk]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Outlook Express is perfect for this persons needs... BUT she doesn't want to have to scroll through the list everything she emails one of her 50 or so regular contacts.

I think I found one though..

http://www.freebyte.com/addressbook/

The freeware version seems to do all she wants.

#264663 - 07/09/2005 15:27 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: ShadowMan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm glad you found something that works, but I'm still not sure of the requirements. Is she hobbled by her mouse so that she won't type people's names and has to click on them, and, therefore, she needs to have subgroup listings of her contacts?

#264664 - 07/09/2005 20:00 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: ShadowMan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
BUT she doesn't want to have to scroll through the list everything she emails one of her 50 or so regular contacts.

Yeah, I'm not sure why you say Outlook makes you scroll. Isn't there a way to select the list then type letters to reach a name quickly?

I don't use Outlook, so I don't know, but I can't imagine they'd force you to scroll. There's got to be a way to quickly get to a specific name.

And when you hit the "compose mail" button, typing part of the name doesn't do an auto-lookup where it fills out the rest of the name for you? Heck, even Gmail does that.

#264665 - 07/09/2005 20:13 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
The BBCs outlook GAL has thousands of names on It. To look for my entry i just click on the little address book and by the time I've typed Andy Ma it's found me. No scrolling required.

Andy M

#264666 - 08/09/2005 02:13 Re: Looking for a decent addressbook program [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
BUT she doesn't want to have to scroll through the list everything she emails one of her 50 or so regular contacts.

Yeah, I'm not sure why you say Outlook makes you scroll. Isn't there a way to select the list then type letters to reach a name quickly?

I don't use Outlook, so I don't know, but I can't imagine they'd force you to scroll. There's got to be a way to quickly get to a specific name.

And when you hit the "compose mail" button, typing part of the name doesn't do an auto-lookup where it fills out the rest of the name for you? Heck, even Gmail does that.

Yeah, everything you say is accurate. Supporting Outlook is like the #1 thing I have to do at my job Anyway, if you're typing in a name in the "To..." field, Ctrl+K will start the lookup feature. But in general, if you just type a sufficiently unique name it should automatically fill out the address for you if you tab to or select a different field. And yes, if you click on the "To..." button, typing in a name should jump to that name, but I think it only works for last names or however the names are listed in your address book.

*edit*
Tony, I think you and I were misreading him. I can't vouch that any of the above information works in Outlook Express

Edited by Dignan (08/09/2005 02:15)