Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#269137 - 09/11/2005 02:06 Typical Gizmodo crap or what?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
So, how many other people think this is a perfect example of typical Gizmodo quality
Just posted today (November 8th, 2005):

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-cameras/epson-rd1-digital-rangefinderwait-what-135953.php

Only Epson announced this camera back in early 2004. And DPReview introduced then:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031101epsonrd1.asp

I've seen a bunch of people write about Engadget and Gizmodo recently and at least one or two people claim they prefer Gizmodo. I have to ask WHY? They're out of touch, out of date and completely full of crap. I mean, Engadget gets a LOT wrong, but Gizmodo's level of error, lack of timeliness and often useless non-news can get to unbearable levels.

I laugh every time they rib on the "Gizmondo" hand-held unit. Mainly because "Gizmodo" is the Gizmondo of the blog world.

Bruno

#269138 - 09/11/2005 06:33 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
So, how many other people think this is a perfect example of typical Gizmodo quality
I couldn't say... this is the first time I've read anything on Gizmodo. Maybe the last, too.

#269139 - 09/11/2005 10:58 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: hybrid8]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Quote:
Lets take some time for a quick history lesson for the less photoggy people.

I know my writing is bad at times, but "photoggy"???

#269140 - 09/11/2005 11:22 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've read Gizmondo once or twice, but only because they came up in a search or something. I read Engadget every chance I get. I don't think I've missed a single story on there since I started reading a couple months ago.

I haven't even seen people talking about Gizmondo here...

Didn't Peter Rojas actually start Gizmondo, then move on to Engadget?

Certainly, Engadget is not flawless (is any blog), and I was among the many people who were annoyed by their obsessive use of the term "natch," but overall I think they do a good job. It was cool to talk to them about a few gadgets when they came to DC. Peter and Ryan know their stuff. I hadn't really thought about how much general technology knowledge it takes to comment about the gadget biz. They've got their stuff down.

#269141 - 09/11/2005 12:52 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I've read Gizmondo once or twice

Gizmodo. Gizmondo is a new handheld, similar to the PSP.

#269142 - 09/11/2005 13:36 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Perfectly good camera, but why is it news now? I agree, something weird with Gizmodo. I read Engadget every day and my only gripe is that I wish they posted less stuff. Do I really care every time somebody releases a new cel phone?

#269143 - 09/11/2005 13:41 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
I've read Gizmondo once or twice

Gizmodo. Gizmondo is a new handheld, similar to the PSP.

D'oh! I know that, I was just tripped up by the Gizmondo mention in the initial post. I know the difference, but like I said, I've only read Gizmodo once or twice.

#269144 - 09/11/2005 14:49 Re: Typical Gizmodo crap or what? [Re: hybrid8]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Gizmodo's gone down hill since it's orginal editor, Joel Johnson left a few months ago. He understood the technology, and could poke fun of it perfectly. The new guy gets the details wrong freqently, and seems to just be trying his hardest to mimic the style without the understanding.

Engadget's writing just bugs me. Take their top post at the moment. It starts off with a lame joke about running/walking to the web site (ha ha) and then goes into a long boring paragraph explaining a bog standard battery recall, without another joke in sight. Yes, I could have skipped it seeing as I don't own a nikon camera, but it really could have been edited to half it's length without losing anything.

Matthew