Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269698 - 18/11/2005 00:20 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: frog51]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
We have one of the UK's biggest WalMarts about half a mile from the house, and it is where we tend to go when we just need to grab something quickly, because it is easiest to get parked, get in and out of. There are closer supermarkets, but they are a pain in the neck.
Wow, that's crazy- around here that's about as different as it can get for me.

My typical Wal-Mart experience:
-Drive into parking log
-Park waaaaay back
-Hike a mile to get inside
-Wander around for 20 minutes looking for something*
-Mutter under my breath at the people/ displays jamming the walkways
-Find my item, note to myself that it is cheaper, but not cheap enough to justify the pain this trip has been
-Wander back to the checkout line, once again muttering under by breath about people/ displays everywhere.
-Wait in line for 15 minutes for one transaction
-Check out
-Hike a mile back to my car
-Drive off the lot

*And if my wife is with me, get delayed for another 15-45 minutes as she notices something she just must stop and examine/try on.

And don't try any of the above near Christmas. At least not with me.

Yes, I HATE Wal Mart.

#269699 - 18/11/2005 00:25 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

But as for the evilness of Wal-mart, I just donīt get it. So they demand fast, cheap service from their suppliers, so what? Wal-martīs customers demand the same from them. Nobodyīs putting a gun to the suppliersī or the customersī heads.

I guarantee you suppliers wouldnīt be doing business with Wal-mart if they were losing money in the deal. Everyone is making money off of Wal-mart - the customers, the suppliers, and Wal-mart themselves. The only people who arenīt are the obsolete businesses who canīt keep up. Henry Ford put the horse-buggy makers out of business. Cry me a river. Itīs not the end of the world. Itīs technology.

If so many people detested Wal-mart then these small Mom and Pop shops would stay in business. In fact, they would thrive. Walmart doesnīt have the best shopping atmosphere, but they make up for it with dirt cheap prices, and thatīs what most people want more.

#269700 - 18/11/2005 00:31 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

*And if my wife is with me, get delayed for another 15-45 minutes as she notices something she just must stop and examine/try on.

I once wondered why large supermarkets donīt have small electronic devices placed throughout the store that allow you to type in the name of a product and have it tell you the exact location. A search engine for the store, if you will. But then I remembered that they make most of their money on impulse buys, so itīs in their best interest for you to get lost or have to wander to the back of the store to find the good stuff.

#269701 - 18/11/2005 00:37 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: ]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If so many people detested Wal-mart then these small Mom and Pop shops would stay in business.
And would the world be a better place with or without these shops? If you think it's better without them, why?

I'm not saying that keeping these shops alive is Wal Mart's responsbility- only that pure capitalism doesn't necessarily give us a better world. I'd shudder to live in a world where the only options for retail were Wal Marts.

Edited by JeffS (18/11/2005 00:39)

#269702 - 18/11/2005 00:45 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

An interesting twist on the whole competition thing is San Antonio, TX. The ONLY grocery store there is HEB. I have no idea how, but they've been able to run every other grocery store out of town. I'm not sure what it's like most places, but in Houston and here in Atlanta there are many choices for grocery stores.

Wal Mart only started building their super stores (the ones with groceries) in SA in the last few years- they've been the only ones able to compete. HEB is in no danger from them, though. Even with slightly higher prices they seem to be doing fine.

Kind of seems to be the reverse of the normal story- usually it's Wal Mart driving everyone out.

#269703 - 18/11/2005 00:50 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
If so many people detested Wal-mart then these small Mom and Pop shops would stay in business.
And would the world be a better place with or without these shops? If you think it's better without them, why?

I'm not saying that keeping these shops alive is Wal Mart's responsbility- only that pure capitalism doesn't necessarily give us a better world. I'd shudder to live in a world where the only options for retail were Wal Marts.

I think itīs definitely better with them, but only if theyīre self-sustaining. I donīt think itīs fair to shut down business B through force just because business A canīt stay profitable anymore.

Iīd shudder in a world with only Wal-mart too, but the great thing about a free market is itīs free. Iīve never been in a town where Wal-mart was the only place to buy food, clothes, and guns. If you want a top-notch quality product or a friendly shopping atmosphere then there are plenty of other options than Wal-mart.

Itīs not like anyone is being forced to shop there; itīs just so damn convenient that sometimes you do.

#269704 - 18/11/2005 01:08 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I go to Walmart almost exclusively for automotive products. I have an Autozone, Napa, Car Quest, and Advance closer, but Walmart charges about 50% less for Mobil1 oil and their $2 SuperTech oil filters have been found to be the same as Napa Gold which cost about $10. My Walmart has a tire and lube center connected to the store, but it has a seperate entrance around back. I park right next to the door everytime, get what I need and checkout in the lube center. In and out very quickly with a ton of savings. Maintaining 5 cars (at the moment) can get costly, and Walmart is welcomed for this purpose.

Sometimes I will buy Stanley tools there if Sears is closed, but that and oil is just-about it. I would never buy any sort of DVD or CD there. Never food either. For clothes, I often buy imperfect stuff at National Wholesale Liquidators which is actually cheaper than Walmart. Sure, there might be a thread out of place, but I can never find it and it's often name-brand stuff. If you think Walmart shoppers are scary, you haven't seen anything until you go to NWL. It doesn't bother me. Poor folks know where to get the best price/performance ratio. I'm happy to shop amongst them because then I know I'm shopping smart.

I make a good wage, but I'm not a spendthrift. It doesn't make sense to pay more of something when you can avoid it. Stuff you put in your body is different though. I often buy wine directly from local wineries. Beer is often local as well. Those things are worth it.

#269705 - 18/11/2005 01:22 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: ]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I donīt think itīs fair to shut down business B through force just because business A canīt stay profitable anymore.
Once again, no one is suggesting that. But I do think it's important to recognize that capitalism doesn't inherintly lead to the best of all situations. Unfettered it can easily lead to a situation where there are a few rich and many poor with no opportunity to better their situation.

Quote:
Iīd shudder in a world with only Wal-mart too, but the great thing about a free market is itīs free.
The great thing about a free market is it allows for many people to try many different things all at once so we generally get a higher quality product. But this by nature means that all those trying things that don't work are going to fail. It's economic Darwinism and it's brutal. However, it does allows us to get some pretty neat stuff.

It should be noted, though, that while it yields better stuff, it doesn't necessarily yield the BEST stuff. The empeg is a phenominal product which (for whatever reason) didn't find a sustainable market. Even if it's not an economic winner, it's still one of the best (THE best?) mp3 players of our time. Windows, on the other hand, is certainly not the best operating system we could come up with, and yet it is inescapable.

Quote:
Itīs not like anyone is being forced to shop there; itīs just so damn convenient that sometimes you do.
And that is the quandry. People don't shop with an eye on sustaining the economic world around them- they do what makes sense for the moment and for them personally. This is why the government gets invovled: to try and preserve the world we really want and capitalism won't naturally provide- unfortunately that's a dangerous game with a whole different set of problems. I think the most important thing is not to be committed to a system, because they each have their downsides. You have to know their weaknesses and try to put policies in place to strengthen them.

#269706 - 18/11/2005 02:21 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: ]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
...But then I remembered that they make most of their money on impulse buys, so itīs in their best interest for you to get lost or have to wander to the back of the store to find the good stuff.

Example: Ikea
There's only one way out of the store- through every department.

#269707 - 18/11/2005 02:42 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: TigerJimmy]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Wall Mart does so many things right: incredibly efficient distribution, the toughest purchasing in the world, and stellar use of technology (for a long time, Wall Mart owned the largest telephony switching system in the SE United States). They invest where they need to, in distribution automation and information systems, and cut corners everwhere else they can get away with it. The fact of the matter is that they do what they were "elected" to do extremely well. From this point of view, Wall Mart is one of the best run companies in the world. Will people realize that "the game is not worth the candle?" Certainly this is what the documentary makers are hoping.

I appreciate the balance in your post about Walmart. Yes, they do so many things right, as you say.

I am not sure that I can think of the executive leadership of Walmart as evil in the same way as Nazis or Bush and I can't get as riled up on the topic of Walmart as on the topic of abortion, say, but the whole Walmart does disturb me.

I'd like to think of them as folks who just have religion -- corporate zeal -- and that they just like to sing the company song "Always low prices!", but it is more than that. If not evil, they are at least bad. It's one thing when an entity gets so big that they have disproportionate leverage over the people and institutions they deal with....but then to deliberately, cold-bloodedly perfect that unfair leverage into a science... That's bad. Evil?

Beyond the economics, I am perhaps most disturbed by the cultural leverage of the various Walmarts. Trust me, I have no interest in buying a 2LiveCrew CD from Walmart and I have never had the urge to rent Natural Born Killers from Blockbuster or anywhere else. And I would defend to the death their right not to sell or rent either of these...ummm, unless, of course, they are the only stores in the whole of the US of A. Well, anyway, I don't think that any particuar retailer should be expected to carry any particular art, but the notion that any large chain should be able to dictate content back to producers and consumers (change lyrics, covers) is repugnant. Of course the fact that we have artistic production concentrated in so few hands means that this is hardly the sole fault of Walmart or Blockbuster....

Sigh.

The fact that anti-Walmart sentiment is concentrated in folks who do not feel economically compelled to shop there is interesting. I'd like to thing that railing against Wamart isn't just a way to make "tornado bait" jokes at the expense of folks who are dealing with a whole different economic calculus. But I don't hate the folks shopping at Walmart. I just want Walmart to be a different company. To play fair....

...oh, but then they wouldn't be able to, Katrina efforts notwithstanding, cover the entire earth like low-priced blue kudzu.

#269708 - 18/11/2005 02:51 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: bonzi]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Does Wal-Mart have uniformly low prices, or do they rise prices if they manage to kill the competition?

Once an item hits a certain price, I think it stays that price. However, I've heard that, in their grocery department, at least, they sometimes demand smaller packaging than what goes to other retail stores -- that way, the price looks cheaper on your box of cereal, but you're getting less, so the unit cost is the same, or maybe even higher than in other retail stores. Caveat Emptor.

#269709 - 18/11/2005 03:51 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: TigerJimmy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
The true democracy of America is the consumer dollar though, and millions have voted the likes of Wall Mart and Home Depot into the positions they enjoy.

Well said, but I don't believe these votes are cast voluntarily. I believe that corporate America loves to keep the poor right where they are.

Sell them the problem and the cure: the car they can't afford and the debt consolidation that will own them, the junk food to make them fat and the diet pill placebo to convince them it's ok to eat more crap.

With corporate America convincing the poor away from their money, what choice do they have but cheap goods? And with aggressive marketing to convince them that "consumption = happiness", these people are driven to Wal Mart and such in droves.

I go out of my way and spend any extra amount to get quality products instead of the low end merchandise at these massive stores. I really should follow through on my idea to revitalize pride in quality American-made goods, justifying a higher cost with longer product life and better performance. I'd be my own best customer.

#269710 - 18/11/2005 04:19 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: FireFox31]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
For the record, when I said I bought DVD's there, I only buy Widescreen versions. If they don't have it, I complain loudly and have even been known to ask for a manager to complain to them. They seem to have gotten the point and and I haven't had to complain in a LONG time. I haven't bought a CD from them in at LEAST 10 years. In fact, I haven't bought one from ANY store in at least 5. Online or concert only, and usually direct from the artist. The only clothing I'd buy there is socks.

By the way, as far as Home Depot goes, ever notice how every couple of months they moves the entire store around? That's to make sure you can't learn the store and not get lost. They want you wandering the aisles looking for something. WalMart does this too, but to a lesser extent.

#269711 - 18/11/2005 04:40 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Quote:
We have one of the UK's biggest WalMarts about half a mile from the house, and it is where we tend to go when we just need to grab something quickly, because it is easiest to get parked, get in and out of. There are closer supermarkets, but they are a pain in the neck.
Wow, that's crazy- around here that's about as different as it can get for me.

We don't actually have any "real" Wal-Mart stores in the UK. They are all ASDA stores, which Wal-Mart bought several years ago.

I used to work in an ASDA when I was a teenager and I can't spot any major changes that Wal-Mart's purchase has made, apart from the fact that they appear to be better managed (they were appallingly managed when I worked for them).

That said I avoid shopping at our local ASDA even though it is out closest store, they never have enough checkouts open and their veg is poor. Their meat is cheap and surprisingly good quality. They don't suffer from random pallets in the ailes, which is a pet hate for me.

I suspect I am atypical for UK shoppers though. The most popular supermarket chain in the UK is Tesco, which I avoid at almost all costs. The problem I have with Tesco is they never appear to stock the stuff I want.

As an example the only supermarket near to where I was working for 9 months last year was a Tesco. It was within walking distance of a couple of thousand office workers. You would think that would mean that they were well setup to serve the lilely customers. But now, by 12:30 every day they were sold out of all the decent sandwiches and snacks. And in the height of the summer they sold no chilled bottled water (and no single bottles of water smaller that 1.5 litres).

My preferance is Sainsburys.

#269712 - 18/11/2005 05:53 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: lectric]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
By the way, as far as Home Depot goes, ever notice how every couple of months they moves the entire store around? That's to make sure you can't learn the store and not get lost. They want you wandering the aisles looking for something. WalMart does this too, but to a lesser extent.

A supermarket I used to do my twice-monthly 'big shopping' in (even had their loyalty card) started doing this; I never go there any more.

My currently preferred spermarket (where I go even for smallish purchases, because they are well organized, with very short lines etc) initially attracted me just because they are the only ones with an underground garage instead of open parking lot; convenient when it rains.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#269713 - 18/11/2005 07:36 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: TigerJimmy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The true democracy of America is the consumer dollar though, and millions have voted the likes of Wall Mart and Home Depot into the positions they enjoy.

Sadly I am seeing a very bad part of this. The area of town I live in is pretty new. About probably 10 or so years ago, some large companies came through, bought up tiny pieces of land from mostly farm owners and other people, and started then reselling the land out to large commercial developers and also to large home builders. In came the home builders to develop the land into communities, and then came in the large commercial chains to build their stores. The price of the land, and also the shop space was set at such a high price, no local business could afford such prices in almost all cases. Contracts were written by the land owners that insured that other companies couldn't come in, buy a building, then lease the space back cheeper.

Average price for a square foot of space is $25. Areas of town here that aren't so new are much closer to $10. At the price of $25, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, and so on have no problem affording it. Where as some of the local places that try usually close quickly, or are confined to such a small space as to be useless. A local hot wing store that opened has room for 4 tables for customers to sit at. The only sizable locally owned restaurant I can think of our here is a sushi place, and they have another store to help their bottom line in a part of town with much lower retail prices.

In the end, beyond lack of local selection, I fear it will just end up ruining much of the town. Since there is plenty of land still to the east and north of the city, it will continue to expand, driving growth out of the central part of town, and leaving abandoned neighborhoods with housing values plummeting. I'm already reevaluating my house purchase on the eastern side of town with the new growth push rapidly to the north. I fear once the developers leave this area and keep commercial contracts still stuck at forcing $25 sq/ft prices, values will end up falling quicker then I can pay the house off. The new aspect will wear off, the smaller stores in the shopping centers will be closed, and the place will be abandoned. Even WalMart here has closed stores leaving derelict buildings to sit, as they moved the resources from that area to a newer area.

Your statement is true, people voted them into these positions with their dollars. And now, they are running rampant, enjoying a massive profit surge from things like this, and in the end screwing over the local city residents. Many of the big developments have been started by WalMart and Home Depot here, with them turning around and reselling space on what is their property for other retailers.

#269714 - 18/11/2005 08:52 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: Robotic]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
Quote:
...But then I remembered that they make most of their money on impulse buys, so itīs in their best interest for you to get lost or have to wander to the back of the store to find the good stuff.

Example: Ikea
There's only one way out of the store- through every department.

Apparently there are short-cuts for the staff and in some of the UK stores they have labelled them "to the check-outs", but I imagine unless you are looking you won't spot them.

Gareth

#269715 - 18/11/2005 08:56 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: andy]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

We don't actually have any "real" Wal-Mart stores in the UK. They are all ASDA stores, which Wal-Mart bought several years ago.

I haven't beed to our local one recently, but it looked something like this. The normal ASDA stores haven't changed a bit though, although I believe the computer systems are all hooked up to the main Wal-Mart head office where they can benefit from their (immense) software investment.

Gareth

#269716 - 18/11/2005 09:10 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: g_attrill]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Apparently there are short-cuts for the staff and in some of the UK stores they have labelled them "to the check-outs", but I imagine unless you are looking you won't spot them.

There are places you can nip through -- I think they're even marked on the store maps -- but personally I only get to go to Ikea about once a year anyway, so it's always all new and I want to see all of it anyway.

Peter

#269717 - 18/11/2005 13:42 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
pure capitalism doesn't necessarily give us a better world

Quote:
capitalism doesn't inherintly lead to the best of all situations

Who are you and what have you done with the real Jeff?

#269718 - 18/11/2005 13:52 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

On the other hand, I live in a fairly newly built area and the shopping center/strip mall they're opening near me seems to be geared towards more local-owned or at least smaller stores. The biggest store is a supermarket (Food Lion, ugh. I go elsewhere), followed by an Ace Hardware. (Ace is the place with the helpful hardware high school kid who doesn't know what you're talking about, but at least the conclusion is that either they don't have it or it costs 50% more than everywhere else, by, hey, at least Ace is a franchise, so it means that that store is owned by someone local. Unfortunately, I also don't go there, mostly because it's just a terrible store. You know those stores that have too many floor employees and you can't go without being accosted, so you try to avoid the large aisles and end up feeling like you're trying to rob the place? Also, the Home Depots around here haven't changed their layouts as far as I can remember in ten years, maybe more.)

Anyway, the rest seems to be geared towards locally-owned businesses or, again, niche stores. There's a pharmacy that opened up. Several boutique clothing stores. A Trek bicycle store. Two hairdressers, one cheap, one nice. And so on. The point being that the developers specifically wanted to get smaller, less homogenous stores.

#269719 - 18/11/2005 14:44 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: peter]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Ours I think was an ASDA, but then when WalMart bought it, it was massively expanded and sells everything. It is then attached to about 100 other shops, and across the road is a building containing about 100 discount outlet stores.

But quite easy to get around, except at Christmas - but then at Christmas I try and avoid all shops.

Ikea I hate wayyy more than WalMart - Claire loves it, but I find it hell-on-Earth!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#269720 - 18/11/2005 14:44 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Two hairdressers, one cheap, one nice.

OK, time to fess up.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#269721 - 18/11/2005 15:01 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You caught me. I get one side of my head in a up-do and the other side is cut with electric clippers.

#269722 - 18/11/2005 15:43 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Who are you and what have you done with the real Jeff?
He is in a very safe place . . .

Seriously, though, my view on capitalism hasn't changed.

#269723 - 18/11/2005 16:50 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: robricc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I live in a town that has the following:

And I live in a town that has the following:

Fred Meyer
Safeway

and let me tell you, the lack of competition causes prices you would not like to live with.

Milk: $4+ a gallon.
Fresh broccoli: $1.97 a pound.
Grapes: $3.99 a pound
Hamburger: ~$3.00 a pound

etc.

Prices are noticeably higher (even factoring in general inflation) than they were when there were more shopping opportunities in this town. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that the managers of the two stores get together every week to decide what the prices on the "sale" items will be the week following.

Wal Mart is in this town now, but they don't sell groceries. There is a conflict going on now about whether to allow Wal Mart to open a second store (this one a "super store" that sells groceries) on the opposite side of town. I can't see how it makes any sense -- the total area population (say within a radius of 50 miles) is about 60,000 people. That's enough to support two Wal-Mart stores?

Yet, I am undecided -- I'm tired of being taken advantage of by the near-monopoly in grocery stores we have now.

On a semi-related topic... Wal Mart prices are not always the lowest around. I recently returned a defective automobile interior electric heater (it turns on whenever the car is plugged in in cold weather, along with block heater, transmission and engine oil pan heaters, battery trickle charger) and since they were out of stock on that item they refunded my money. I then found the identical heater at NAPA for $30 less than Wal-Mart, a 33% savings

tanstaafl.

#269724 - 18/11/2005 18:03 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: tanstaafl.]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
That's enough to support two Wal-Mart stores?

Well you said yourself you already have two grocery stores. Once they go out of business, that should be 30k people per wallmart. Assuming they go every week, that's 4k per day, give or take. Assuming one person shops for two people, that's 150 people per hour for a 12 hour day. Sounds reasonable.

Matthew

#269725 - 18/11/2005 18:51 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: drakino]
jpt
new poster

Quote:
Contracts were written by the land owners that insured that other companies couldn't come in, buy a building, then lease the space back cheeper.

Sorry, why do you need a contract for this? Why would a company buy space and then resell it at a loss (unless property values collapse in between)? And why would the original owner care?
MkIIa #40104178, 22GB

#269726 - 18/11/2005 20:55 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You caught me.

And it feels good

Semi-related topic: I had to take the car at lunch to run an errand an there was a news story/feature on NPR regarding the issue of the "morning-after" pill Plan B, specifically the refusal by some pharmacists to prescribe it. They also reviewed how some large retail chains were handling it -- several of them as a routine prescription, others with some policy to work around consciencious objector pharmacists.

OK, everybody take a guess at what large chain just doesn't stock Plan B. Period. Anybody? Anybody?

I think I am going to go back to school, become a pharmacist, and *then* become a Christian Scientist.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#269727 - 18/11/2005 21:27 Re: Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Price [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I imagine that's large part of Heather's objection. I've known about that for quite some time due to her. I think the best part is that Wal-Mart has made that moral judgement for all their pharmacists. I mean, I don't think that it's right that a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription at all, but Wal-Mart isn't even giving them that choice.

Then again, they've also made the choice that I can't listen to Nirvana's "Rape Me" or read Maxim. But I can buy Grand Theft Auto. Well, that is, before they found out there was sayks-you-ull content in it.

Edited by wfaulk (18/11/2005 21:29)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >