Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#274542 - 18/01/2006 12:33 Checking if speakers work....
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I recently bought a different car (a 1999 Sunfire GT) and I thought all the speakers worked at first, but then after awhile the front driver's side speaker quit working and the rear driver's side speaker wouldn't work. Then after awhile the rear driver's side speaker would work now and then. So when I got my empeg and amp installed I thought they would all work, but they don't. is there anyway to test the speaker to see if it works?

#274543 - 18/01/2006 13:09 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: burdell1]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
A D cell battery connected to speaker leads will cause the speaker to buzz.

#274544 - 18/01/2006 13:28 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Attack]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:

This surprises me. Are you sure about that?

I would think it would cause the speaker to deflect in one direction and stay there.

#274545 - 18/01/2006 13:36 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I would think it would cause the speaker to deflect in one direction and stay there.

Yup. That is exactly what it would do.

#274546 - 18/01/2006 14:58 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: tfabris]
Attack
addict

Quote:
Quote:

This surprises me. Are you sure about that?

I know it works since I just used this trick over the weekend to help extend the wiring in a home theater 7.1 system. Maybe it is the first contact of power that is making the sound.

I learned this trick in Electronics class in high school over 10 years ago and it comes in handy every few years.

#274547 - 18/01/2006 15:02 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Attack]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA

#274548 - 18/01/2006 16:15 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Attack]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Maybe it is the first contact of power that is making the sound.

The electromagnet in a speaker will only oscillate if you give it an AC signal. If you give it a DC signal (like that from a battery), it will move to one of the end stops and then stay there.

This might cause a click or a thud, but it won't cause a hum or a buzz.

#274549 - 18/01/2006 16:24 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Roger]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
The electromagnet in a speaker will only oscillate if you give it an AC signal. If you give it a DC signal (like that from a battery), it will move to one of the end stops and then stay there.

I realize this is how it works in theory, but in reality why did it cause a buzz for Attack this last weekend? Or did it?

#274550 - 18/01/2006 16:51 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: JBjorgen]
Attack
addict

Quote:
Quote:

I realize this is how it works in theory, but in reality why did it cause a buzz for Attack this last weekend? Or did it?

I feel like I'm playing TFC again, and need to defend myself / team.

I works don't believe me just try it.

#274551 - 18/01/2006 17:06 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My guess would be that the battery isn't providing a constant voltage, maybe due to a varying load on the battery as the speaker moves. That is, some sort of feedback loop. Obviously the battery never causes the speaker to move on both sides of the equilibrium point, but it might cause it to oscillate on the positive side (or the negative side if the polarity is reversed).

#274552 - 18/01/2006 17:17 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Attack]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
No you won't! You'll get a small click or thump when you make, and then break contact with the battery.

A hum implies an AC voltage source: batteries are pretty well known for being DC
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#274553 - 18/01/2006 17:36 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Attack]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:

Maybe a POS speaker would buzz under DC, but a good one shouldn't (as others are arguing).
Even with a <POP!> you'd still have a very basic test of the speaker.

#274554 - 18/01/2006 21:30 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Robotic]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I'm going to try this tonight with a c-cell and an old Subaru speaker in the basement. I'll let you know. I'm with the pop-on-contact-no-sound-otherwise camp.

However, one way in which this may make sense: a battery is a dc device, however the chemistry can only convert electrons so quickly. A speaker is essentially a short circuit to DC power, meaning that the DC voltage would drop quickly, perhaps there would be variations in voltage/amperage which cause the speaker cone to vibrate about a DC biased position, making noise.

-Zeke

#274555 - 18/01/2006 23:05 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Ezekiel]
Jemmi

I used to work for a guitar/bass/PA amplifier manufacturer as a designer. The test done on speakers for phase and functionality was pretty much the battery test described above. A "Thump" signified a working speaker and while watching the speaker you could verify the phase by the direction the speaker went when the test was run. This was especially useful for large PA speakers and subwoofers. The same effect often happens when the remote turn on of a car's amp is done wrong and there's a "Thump" through all the speakers when the amp is turned on when the car is.

The person speaking of a buzz is probably dealing with speakers with a bad speaker surround. Often the paper that actually joins the cone to the metal starts to wear and this is probably what is buzzing. I've had it happen with my own cars with rotted out speaker surrounds. They changed the design now on a lot of speakers to get rid of that issue i've seen, but they still make them with the paper surround. But as someone stated, DC with what is essentially a transducer sends the voice coil one direction only and to generate sound, it must be an AC type input. Currently I am working on designs in ultrasonics which are essentially voice coils that send the vibrations through metal at above hearing frequencies as opposed to a speaker which transmits audible sound through a cone to air.

#274556 - 19/01/2006 02:37 Re: Checking if speakers work.... [Re: Ezekiel]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
As predicted: thump, then no sound unless contact was interrupted or partially modified (dragging wire along terminal of C cell).

I used a 9V, which gave a nice thump and pinned the voice coil. The C cell (1.5V) was gentler, but still had the same result. I didn't keep either battery attached long enough for the battery to become warm or hot to the touch.

Any 'buzzing' would have to come from intermittent contact.

I've also seen the 'rotten surround' buzz. I replaced some surrounds on my old AR410's with newfoam.com (warning- nasty yellow website design). It wasn't inexpensive, but if you have otherwise functioning speakers that are worth keeping they gave me great service & a quality repair. I reconed & refoamed two 4" mids & two 8" woofers. They now sound as good as ever and are ready for their next 20 years of service.

-Zeke