Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#275914 - 10/02/2006 21:09 ebuyer - UK
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Hooray, it's 10th Feb. and I've got a refund from these *********- people - requested at the end of October!
.....having threatened to seek to have them wound up. In the meantime, they've debited my credit card without my authority and a whole catalogue of other junk: If I'd googled before placing my order i'd have known that complaints run in to the thousands. They may offer good prices, but, don't touch and bargepole are words that spring to mind, in my opinion!

#275915 - 10/02/2006 21:18 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: boxer]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I have heard this a LOT about eBuyer - I think when there are no problems then it is all ok, but when something goes wrong it's not like other companies because they have no phone support, and no matter what you type on the e-notes system you only get back the standard responses. The only other company I recall being like that was Dabs when they dropped all telephone contact, although I haven't heard any bad things about them recently.

I have bought a fair few things from eBuyer - and not had any problems, except a UPS which came with an illegal non-fused non-BS approved plug with no pin shrouding and far too little plastic around the outside - I sent an e-note but got no reply. Then after 6 months it was recalled due to overheating problems.

Gareth

#275916 - 10/02/2006 22:22 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: g_attrill]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I've just bought a bunch of firewire cables from them, really cheap. Other than that it's just been odds and sods, cables and the like. The most expensive thing I bought from them was an ADSL router which packed up approx. a week after the warranty ran out. Although a friend of mine has had just about everything he's bought from them fail within a few weeks, but keeps buying from them because they're cheap. I never understood why he kept going back, then again he's never had much luck with PCs.

Andy M

#275917 - 10/02/2006 22:43 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: boxer]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
It's quite a coincidence that I'm reading this while browsing away from ebuyer.co.uk to settle buyers nerves before buying a hard drive from them!

I have to admit I've read elsewhere that when it comes to post-sales support, you're pretty SOL dealing with this company if you need a credit/replacement.

So, I'm sat here looking for a 250+GB SATA HDD and it's now looking very unlikely that ebuyer are getting my money -- can anyone suggest a good alternative, please?

#275918 - 10/02/2006 23:18 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: AndrewT]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Almost everything I buy comes from one of three sources: Scan, Aria or Microdirect and that's because I can walk in there, put my money down and walk away with it then and there. Likewise when I've had to return things, I can walk in and do the same. If it came to dealing with them via mail order, I don't think I'd choose any of them.

Andy M

#275919 - 11/02/2006 05:36 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: g_attrill]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
I think when there are no problems then it is all ok

Not according to some of the threads on sites I've googled, there's one guy who ordered the parts for a PC and got half a dozen keyboards - then had to spend months getting something done about it, numerous people who've been sent used goods and people, like me, who've had amounts debited from their credit card without their authority.

I've contacted Sheffield trading standards, who say that they are "working with them"* to overcome the problems (However they've been done for embezzlement this week!). I along with many other have contacted "Watchdog", I think the nuke ebuyer community is about as big as the Empeg community!

N.B. I note that they are closing/have closed their US operation.

*When equal opportunities legislation came in, we had a crusty old client who promptly put: "Working towards equal opportunities" in his job ads. A bright young thing on my team asked him what his equal opportunities policy was, he said "Haven't got one, but putting that in the ads. keeps the thing at bay".

#275920 - 11/02/2006 05:47 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: boxer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I buy most of my stuff from Scan. When you have to return something, intially it looks like there is going to be trouble, as they get very "spikey".

I have found however, that one forceful email, making sure they know that I know my rights causes them to be helpful as anything...

I even managed to do a successful return of a monitor that I just didn't like, under the distance selling regulations.

#275921 - 11/02/2006 16:08 Re: ebuyer - UK [Re: g_attrill]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
I have bought a fair few things from eBuyer - and not had any problems, except a UPS [...] Then after 6 months it was recalled due to overheating problems.

I had the same one. After about a month after they collected it I finally got through to their new Telephone Helpline to ask wtf my refund is at. Apparantly the card I used to pay 6 months ago had expired, so instead of contacting me about it, they just sat on their collective fat ass and hoped I wouldn't realise. So I gave them a new card number, and yet they still haven't done it. I am losing my temper.

I've placed 19 orders with them in the past two years. Some of them quite a large amount of money. I haven't really had many problems with what I buy, but it is generally branded stuff (apart from that sodding UPS). Had to exchange some memory once, and they were actually quite efficient about it when you use their online system. They once supplied me with a random keyboard instead of a motherboard, but that was sorted out as well. Their delivery is slow in the extreme unless you pay them extra. According to the experiences of so many other people, maybe I'm just very lucky?

I don't like Overclockers anymore. They don't ever answer the phone - you can actually sometimes hear them pick the thing up and put it down again. They don't reply to their 'Webnotes'. They think that Next Day actually means Next Week. To top it all off it was incomplete as well. I think the owner has probably made too much money and is having too much fun in his Ferrari 550 to actually care about customer service. Its a shame that they are now a shadow of their former self - used to be so good.

I'd recommend Komplett. Hard drives are well priced, delivery is fast. Best to shop around for some of the other items though. No issues so far.