Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#279060 - 04/04/2006 15:25 email Provider Recommendations
Redrum
old hand

I've been using my internet service provider's (Direcway) email service for about four years now. Needless to say many people email me through this address. Its also use it for mailers, password resets, Paypal and other functions. Anyway, some bonehead decided that they should drop this email service and move everyone over to their parent company's email system, hughesnet. I am P. O.ed. I now have a lot of work ahead of me to get my new address out to everyone and every website. I was not thrilled with their old email service and probably won't be thrilled with their new service. Does anyone have any recommendations on email services or should I just suck it up, go with hughesnet and hope they don't screw me again?

Changing service providers is not an option since I live in the sticks.

#279061 - 04/04/2006 15:27 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Gmail. Seriously.

#279062 - 04/04/2006 15:31 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
pobox.com -- "Lifetime email addresses".

Cheers

#279063 - 04/04/2006 15:32 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Gmail. I have invites if you want one.

Or buy your own domain and pay someone to host a virtual server. It's yours until you don't want to pay for it anymore.

#279064 - 04/04/2006 15:37 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: cushman]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
hosted gmail exists now

#279065 - 04/04/2006 15:38 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I've used my university's email system as a student and employee for the last six years. I'm now looking to change, as it's now my work email and I don't feel comfortable using it for personal email. As far as I can see, if I'm going to go to the trouble of changing my email address, it's moving to a domain name that I own. A cheap dreamhost account seems reasonable for this, so I'll probably go down that road.

Matthew

#279066 - 04/04/2006 16:56 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: JBjorgen]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks guys, gmail looks like the ticket. pobox.com looks way cool as well. I'm debating on whether I should use just gmail or pobox with gmail. I guy at work demo'ed gmail to me and its way better than the k-rap I was using before. He sent me an invite (thanks anyway Mark) so I think I'll go that way unless anyone has any other suggestions. I just hope gmail doesn't over do it with adds and popups.

#279067 - 04/04/2006 17:12 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I just hope gmail doesn't over do it with adds and popups.

Naw, their strategy is to simply retain a copy of everything you ever write or receive, and make it available to various USA government authoritities on demand. Nothing to worry about, now or ten years from now. Heck, I suppose someday it may even become searchable by employment agencies.

Cheers

#279068 - 04/04/2006 17:29 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Thanks guys, gmail looks like the ticket. pobox.com looks way cool as well. I'm debating on whether I should use just gmail or pobox with gmail. I guy at work demo'ed gmail to me and its way better than the k-rap I was using before. He sent me an invite (thanks anyway Mark) so I think I'll go that way unless anyone has any other suggestions. I just hope gmail doesn't over do it with adds and popups.

Gmail can be accessed by Outlook or any program that does POP3 so you don't need to worry about popup or even using their web interface at all. For the reason Mark mentioned, I only use it to receive attachments from people because the hosting company I go through caps at 5mb.

To be honest, I've been happy with Yahoo ever since they started blocking spam. I think their limit is 1GB too.

Either way, I NEVER use email addresses provided by my ISP. It's just another reason to never price shop for service.

#279069 - 04/04/2006 17:31 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: mlord]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
I just hope gmail doesn't over do it with adds and popups.

Naw, their strategy is to simply retain a copy of everything you ever write or receive, and make it available to various USA government authoritities on demand. Nothing to worry about, now or ten years from now. Heck, I suppose someday it may even become searchable by employment agencies.

Cheers

If that was my worry I think I'd have to stop using email all together. I really don't think any email system is safe from the government (any government). Electric communication of any type is only secure to varying degrees.

When I was a radio tech. way back when it was fun working Saturdays and listening to cell calls on Saturday morning. You'd hear people talking about all the coke the snorted the night before, how hung over they were and couldn't believe they drove home, etc... Analog cell is open to anyone with a receiver.

#279070 - 04/04/2006 17:54 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
If you use the Gmail web interface I would recommand using Firefox with the CustomizeGoogle extension. The extension lets you enable using Gmail in https mode. The login screen to gmail is https but the normal usage of Gmail isn't. Also a very nice trick with gmail is you can have youremailaddress+Anything@gmail.com and then use filters on the word behind the + to sort your email.

#279071 - 05/04/2006 14:23 Re: email Provider Recommendations [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I love GMail now. It took me a while to get used to the conversations idea, but now I love it. If I'm trading back and forth with someone, it's nice to have all 20+ emails in one list, and see who replied when to what.

The only other thing that I've never really like much is the lack of folder organization. Sure, labels are great, especially when a conversation falls under more than one label, but still doesn't sit well 100% with me.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying it. And having my email easily accessible from anywhere is great [the key word is "easily"].