Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293740 - 13/02/2007 16:49 Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends...
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
As found in a Wired article, Jim Cady (Diamond MM then Rio) and Jonathan Sasse (Rio then Iriver)are forming a new company Broadband Instruments. Announcing in 2-3 months.

#293741 - 18/02/2007 02:46 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: time]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Nice chairs they've got there. The ex-Rio guy's chair of choice, eh?

#293742 - 18/02/2007 04:56 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:

Are you kidding? You can't work with computers without a Herman Miller Aeron!

#293743 - 18/02/2007 10:14 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: webroach]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:

Are you kidding? You can't work with computers without a Herman Miller Aeron!

Our building is full of them, very nice chairs, shame I never get to sit down for long enough.

Andy M

#293744 - 18/02/2007 13:59 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

I've spent some time testing the various HM chairs. I actually don't think the Aeron is the one for me. The lumbar support feels like a knife in the back. Next weekend when I make the purchase, I'll either get the simpler, firm-backed Mirra; the high-back, rest-your-head Liberty; or even the super simple Chadwick. If only a store had an Aeron with Posture Fit that I could try.

#293745 - 18/02/2007 14:14 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I have the posture fit on my Aeron. Much better than the old lumbar football. I vary its position day to day or sometimes multiple times a day. The Mirra looks decent, but so does Humanscale's Freedom. If I had to swap the Aeron for a different product, it would probably be the Freedom with the high back.

Some ofthe problems I have with all chairs is simply training myself to sit properly, so any help the chair can offer me in that regard is a big help. After long periods I find I end up shifting around so that I'm not fully making use of what the chair has to offer in the comfort and ergonomics department. At the same time probably not doing my back any favours. Because of this I value being able to make a lot of adjustments to the seating so I can vary posture and tweak things for both different tasks and different times of day (depending on how slouchy I find mysef becoming). If you work in a home office as I do, don't underestimate the importance of wearing shoes. It makes sitting in any chair potentially a lot more comfortable because when you put your feet on the ground they won't slowly slide out away from you (if you have a tendancy to do that sort of thing).

Bruno

#293746 - 18/02/2007 14:36 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: hybrid8]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

The Chadwick chair for Knoll was great at training you to sit properly. It has essentially no adjustments. Simply sit as far back into it as you can, and it does the posture work for you. And at a lower cost than the others, I may just walk away with that.

#293747 - 18/02/2007 15:20 Re: Yet another new player to enter the market from some old friends.. [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I wouldn't be so worried about slouching. Wasn't there a recent report (like, last month?) that found "sitting up straight" was actually quite poor for one's back, and a recllned slouch position was much better?

Or something like that.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (18/02/2007 15:22)