Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#294550 - 06/03/2007 20:19 How patient am I supposed to be?
clsmith

I ordered something off of ebay on 2/23. Paid for it immediately. Got the shipping confirmation without a tracking number on 2/26. I knew that they used 'brown' ground so yesterday (3/5) I visited the UPS site and discovered that their ship-time from the senders zip code to mine is 4 days. Something's not right!

So I sent an e-mail asking them for the tracking number. <disaster>They responded today stating that it was delivered on 3/2!</disaster>. Left on the front porch is the official note. I went home from work today just to check all around my house, again! No package!!

I've sent two e-mails to the sender (a real dealership in MN not just a person selling) and so far haven't received a response. I'm a typical 'men are from mars' person and having this unresolved without any idea of what is happening is driving me crazy

My question is this - Since I know that this isn't necessarily their fault (probably the truck driver losing the package) how long should I wait for a reply until I start disputing charges with paypal/my credit card?

#294551 - 06/03/2007 20:58 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Did they ever give you the tracking number or did they just tell you the result of the tracking search? You need a number if you're to follow up with UPS. If they can't/won't give you one, then I would call shenanigans. What was your payment method?

-Zeke

#294552 - 06/03/2007 21:58 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: Ezekiel]
clsmith

They responded with the tracking number which confirmed what they said. What I found odd was that the delivery time was shown as 8:22pm. 8:22pm? On a Friday night! Doesn't the 'brown' union turn into pumpkins after 6pm every night?

This has to be code for them because the only other package they've "misdelivered" to me was supposedly delivered after 8pm as well. Even when I called and the rep read the tracking details he sort of paused on the "...at 8:22pm" part. Then he put me on hold. In any case since I'm not the shipper/customer they can't do anything for me until the shipper calls and initiates the investigation.

I paid via paypal immediately after the auction ended.

#294553 - 06/03/2007 22:33 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The shipper will be able to get reimbursed by UPS - you may be asked to sign something to declare you did not receive it. UPS may jerk the shipper around for weeks.

It's happened to my brother, a friend and even to me last year.

#294554 - 06/03/2007 22:34 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
It was probably misdelievered. It almost happened to a friend of mine, but he found the package delievered to the building next store and just "corrected the error" himself.

#294555 - 06/03/2007 23:45 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Doesn't the 'brown' union turn into pumpkins after 6pm every night?

No, I have had packages delivered as late as 8:30 PM before.

However, in this case I would be very suspicious that the seller is scamming you. If he doesn't initiate proceedings for getting reimbursed by UPS immediately, I would start some proceedings of my own, if you know what I mean.

Also: Do you live in a bad neighborhood where things might get stolen from your porch?

#294556 - 06/03/2007 23:53 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Mind if I piggyback onto this thread? I'm also unsure how patient I'm supposed to be. I won an ebay auction on 2/19, and have yet to receive my item or hear one word from the seller. I've contacted them four times at reasonable intervals, but haven't gotten a single reply. The seller has a score of 421/98.6%, which doesn't sound horrible to me, or at least it isn't something that would have led me to expect this kind of poor service.

Should I start talking to ebay?

#294557 - 07/03/2007 01:38 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
98.6%

Sounds normal to me.

#294558 - 07/03/2007 02:04 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Mind if I piggyback onto this thread? I'm also unsure how patient I'm supposed to be. I won an ebay auction on 2/19, and have yet to receive my item or hear one word from the seller.

eBay suggests strongly that buyer & seller contact each other much earlier than that.

Take action, yesterday!

#294559 - 07/03/2007 02:09 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Mind if I piggyback onto this thread? I'm also unsure how patient I'm supposed to be. I won an ebay auction on 2/19, and have yet to receive my item or hear one word from the seller.

eBay suggests strongly that buyer & seller contact each other much earlier than that.

Take action, yesterday!

I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Are you saying that I should have contacted them sooner? (I mentioned I had) Or are you saying that because the seller hasn't contacted me, I should contact ebay ASAP?

#294560 - 07/03/2007 02:12 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Take action, yesterday!

I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Are you saying that I should have contacted them sooner? (I mentioned I had) Or are you saying that because the seller hasn't contacted me, I should contact ebay ASAP?

If you have paid for the item (and it sounds like you have), then it's time to withdraw the payment (credit card), or complain to paypal, or whoever. And email eBay and the seller (again).

Cheers

#294561 - 07/03/2007 02:13 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: tfabris]
clsmith

Well that's good to know though it's very rare. At least now I know it really does happen.

Quote:
Do you live in a bad neighborhood where things might get stolen from your porch?

As much as I hate to admit it I live in an area that would make Ward and June jealous. I'm down the street from 2 schools and a playground. White picket fences etc. As a matter of fact I think my neighbors are a little steamed at the fact that I don't pay as much attention to my lawn as they do.

Between my Girlfriend and myself we have at least 1 package delivered per week. Though I had that previous mishap a while ago this is certainly not the norm.

#294562 - 08/03/2007 02:07 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
And here I feel obliged to report that I've been on the sender's end of this problem.

In my case the item was delivered and reported not received. ($150) My terms were that the buyer had to specify the level of shipping desired. It went UPS standard. Insurance is limited at $100 at this rate. I refunded the $100 that UPS insurance paid out. Since shipping was his choice I figured the risk was his too. For all I know, he either got the item for a net of $50, or a not with a loss of same, no way to tell. My experience has somewhat soured the allure of selling on eBay. That was the first time I tried and so far the last.

In your case, a charge back might motivate the seller to initiate an insurance claim. If he does, or not, you get your money back.

#294563 - 08/03/2007 03:02 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
clsmith

*Update*

I managed to get the phone number of the place I purchased from. Spoke to the person in charge of 'Internet Sales' and the investigation was requested (confirmed by a subsequent call from the shipping co.)

Don't know why they didn't just respond to the emails...

#294564 - 08/03/2007 10:59 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: gbeer]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I had a recent small problem - I sold a reasonably heavy item (4kg) and in the listing warned that shipping outside the UK would be expensive. the buyer was in Italy and I quoted the cheapest airmail I could find, £25 ($50). The buyer replied "is this a joke? I buy from UK all the time". I replied with the weight and dimensions and said that as the listing said, I would only be charging them the actual cost and if they can find a cheaper service, or ship on an account I would be ok.

We eventually agreed to cancel the sale, which I am happy about, firstly because it went for a lot less than I was hoping, and secondly I would be very wary about shipping my item to a reluctant/complaining buyer.

Gareth

#294565 - 08/03/2007 11:27 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I'd be suspicious any time somebody says they shipped something, but was unable to provide a tracking number. That is one of the most basic parts of sending stuff off anymore, especially if they are a legitimate business.

Not knowing who you are dealing with on the other end has been what kept me from ever using Ebay to begin with.

#294566 - 08/03/2007 12:06 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: cushman]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Quote:
98.6%

Sounds normal to me.

I see what you did there.

#294567 - 09/03/2007 12:06 Re: How patient am I supposed to be? [Re: clsmith]
clsmith

Closure!!!

The day after the seller initiated the investigation the package mysteriously arrived on my front step. For real this time!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an impatient person but not knowing what's going on only adds fuel to the fire. If they had just forwarded me the tracking number from the beginning I would've been less paranoid - Though the package would've still been misdelivered I'm sure.