Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301378 - 08/08/2007 16:04 Weird Eyesight Experience
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I'm experiencing some weird eyesight thing just now.

It started about a half an hour ago at the center of my field of vision as a blurry dot. Then it expanded and made the center of my vision absolutely useless.
The blurriness was combined with some weird distortions that made things sort of 'cubist' in that region.
I couldn't use my computer or read at all. Thank goodness I wasn't driving at the time.
I kept blinking my eyes trying to clear it up- to no avail.

After about 15 minutes the spot had expanded a great deal and lo and behold the center began to clear. Now I was looking through some weird donut shaped Picasso lens and it was slowly growing.

Now it's been a good half hour and it's mostly cleared up now with some leftover spots hanging around the edges.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

#301379 - 08/08/2007 16:29 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
tman
carpal tunnel

Uh. Go to the doctor now! Get somebody to drive you.

#301380 - 08/08/2007 16:39 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Anyone have any idea what's going on?

You have quite likely just suffered from something resembling a stroke.
If you are alone, dial 911 and describe your symptoms.

If you have somebody to get you to a hospital NOW, then go!

#301381 - 08/08/2007 17:03 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I would say get to a hospital ASAP, anything do do with eyesight is quite important to get checked out. A detached retina is possible too, but either need immediate attention.

A dark spot at the lower half of the vision can be a symptom of tiredness, but nothing like you have described.

#301382 - 08/08/2007 17:25 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Thanks very much for all the concern- I'm taking your advice seriously and will report back later what I find out.

#301383 - 08/08/2007 17:45 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The blurriness was combined with some weird distortions that made things sort of 'cubist' in that region.

This sounds like the symptoms of one possible manifestation of a migraine. (Read the section about "Aura".)

That's a good description of the visual phenomena I experienced, the times that I had a migraine.

I'm lucky, in that I didn't get the accompanying headache, only the vision distortion and nausea.

#301384 - 08/08/2007 18:02 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I concur with Tony, the symptoms very exactly match what I had for the first time (and only time so far) a couple of months ago. I didn't go and see a doctor, as after an hours reading up on various healthcare sites I satisfied myself that what I had experienced was visual migraine.

It was incredibly scary while it was happening though, after 30 minutes lay down it cleared.

I guess if it happened again I would probably go see a doctor, but I am not concerned about it. Notably I had been working like crazy for a couple of weeks before hand, 80+ hours a week in front of the PC.

Edited by andy (08/08/2007 18:03)

#301385 - 08/08/2007 18:03 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

This sounds like the symptoms of one possible manifestation of a migraine. (Read the section about "Aura".)

Even so, best to get it checked out.

#301386 - 08/08/2007 18:06 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Agreed.

#301387 - 08/08/2007 18:16 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tfabris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:

A coworker (actually the first person I described the episode to as it was happening) said he has similar experiences and that they're linked to migraines (from which he suffers).
I don't get many headaches and have never been diagnosed as getting migraines, but I'm not ruling this out.
The wikipedia article was very good- thanks!

If I get a headache later I'll be able to link the two directly!

During the whole time (less than an hour) I wasn't particularly worried about what was going on and had no other symptoms.. In fact, it did bring up some memories of at least one similar occurrence in the distant, forgotten past.

I'm just off the phone now with an RN who wasn't much help. Next stop is to speak with a Doc.

#301388 - 08/08/2007 18:16 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.

It's either it's a big endorsement for the empeg board or an indictment of the health care industry that he chose to seek help for a scary vision problem here before visiting a doctor

#301389 - 08/08/2007 18:35 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Dignan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed.

It's either it's a big endorsement for the empeg board or an indictment of the health care industry that he chose to seek help for a scary vision problem here before visiting a doctor

Actually, I didn't find the experience scary- just annoying. As it was clearing up I had no question that things would get back to normal and all I had to do was 'ride it out'.

'Hey, what's with this?'

Asking the empeggers was more a query along the lines of 'fun things you didn't know about your body'. Kind of like when I learned about sleep paralysis, which I was very happy to know more about.

At any rate, yes, I'll continue a line of professional analysis, but I'm not shaking in my boots worrying about an imaginary brain hemorrhage.

edit:
Ah- here comes the science..
Quote:
When the activity of nerve cells is depressed, there is impairment of function in the part of the body controlled by these cells. For example, there may be a loss of vision or of strength. Increased activity of brain nerve cells may result in flashing lights or tingling in the face and hand. In the experiments with animals, the depression of nerve cell activity slowly spreads beyond the initial spot of stimulation. This phenomenon is called spreading depression. It is preceded by a wave of increased nerve cell activity.

This slowly spreading depression of nerve cell activity is believed to account for the pattern of development of the typical aura. In the migraine aura, symptoms build up gradually and move slowly from one visual region or one part of the body to another. For example, the migraine aura sufferer may first notice a black spot in the field of vision. This black spot is often surrounded by flashing lights or bright zig-zag lines. The size of the black spot gradually enlarges over a period of minutes. The combination of loss of vision (negative symptoms) with flashing lights or zig-zag lines (positive symptoms) is a typical and distinctive feature of migraine aura. The negative symptom (blacking out of vision) is due to depressed nerve activity; the positive visual symptoms are due to the zone of hyperactive nerve cells. In contrast, a sudden shutting off of blood supply to the brain (as might occur with a blood clot) causes a sudden loss of function. In this case, there is no gradual "march" of visual symptoms or numbness, and positive visual symptoms do not occur.

From this article, linked from the wikipedia entry.

The 'gradual vs. sudden' and 'positive and negative symptoms' explanation really nails this and has eased my worries.

Edited by Robotic (08/08/2007 18:42)

#301390 - 08/08/2007 18:44 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: tfabris]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Sounds like definite migraine symptoms. It could have been worse, after the vision effects described here, I usually end up with no vision of anything to the left hand side for 15 or 20 minutes (unless something moves, then I can sort of 'see' it) It can also be accompanied by numbness in my fingertips, loss of power in one arm, then a rather incredible pain that crawls from the back of the neck right up over my scalp until it reaches my forehead. Oh, and sensitivity to light (but not noise for some reason)

I have some good medication now, sumitriptan. I take one when the visual effect starts, along with a couple of aspirin or paracodol and that can sometimes scare off the worst of the effects.

Occasionally I suffer from a sort of mild dysphasia as well, and find it can affect me so that I think one word but say another, or sometimes just plain can't remember the names of people who I have known for years.

I did go to see a doctor when that happened, because it sounded exactly like a stroke, and I had had four distinct migraine attacks in one day. He told me it was classic migraine and prescribed the sumitriptan.

I have been through phases of multiple attacks, one or two a week at times, up to that maximum of four in a day. Haven't had one in about 18 months (touch wood!)

I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#301391 - 08/08/2007 18:44 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Actually, I didn't find the experience scary- just annoying.

It certainly terrified me the first time it happened. I was alone, and it was in the days before easily-searchable intertubes. I thought I had a brain tumor. Fortunately, the friend I called was someone who knew the symptoms and was able to assuage my fears.

Please note that just because you don't have a headache doesn't mean it wasn't a migraine. Headache is only one of the possible symptoms that might manifest. Many people mistakenly use the word "migraine" to describe any bad headache, but it's a different thing than just a run of the mill headache.

#301392 - 08/08/2007 20:51 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Geoff]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Sounds like definite migraine symptoms. It could have been worse, after the vision effects described here, I usually end up with no vision of anything to the left hand side for 15 or 20 minutes (unless something moves, then I can sort of 'see' it) It can also be accompanied by numbness in my fingertips, loss of power in one arm, then a rather incredible pain that crawls from the back of the neck right up over my scalp until it reaches my forehead. Oh, and sensitivity to light (but not noise for some reason)

Wow. That sounds terrible. I thankfully (touch wood) haven't ever gotten a Migraine and by the descriptions given, I don't want to ever experience one! The most I get are just headaches although oddly enough it is always on the right temple and nowhere else.

#301393 - 08/08/2007 21:26 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Geoff]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Haven't had one in about 18 months (touch wood!)

I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy...

Gosh, Geoff! I'm glad that's eased up for you.
After your description I feel lucky not to be in pain.

I'm reminded of a grad student in my program at university. He suffered from cluster headaches, which was the first time I'd ever heard of them.
I happened to be seated next to him in a computer lab when he was hit by one. Very scary to watch and not be able to help. We'd discussed it only days before, so I knew what was going on and that I couldn't help even if I wanted to.

#301394 - 08/08/2007 21:59 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I would've said migraine, that said if what you described had happened to me I would've been in the ambulance before I got the chance to write the post!

My boss goes temporarily blind in one eye when he has one, happens every couple of months for him. His doctor has told him there's nothing he can do.

Andy M

#301395 - 09/08/2007 01:39 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Call an ophthalmologist and go see him. Now. It's serious enough that you need a pro opinion.

I had something like that happen last year. It started as I walked to work from the parking lot. With every step I saw a bright flash in the center of the eye. Rapid eye moves did the same. Later the flashes stopped but there was this gob floating around in my vision that wouldn't go away. It was like when I last had ointment put in my eye, a greasy blob that moved around and gradually went away. Except this didn't go away.

When I called the eye doc's office and described what was happening, they said come in now, we will make room for you in the schedule.

What happened to me was that I got older. Eventually every one does. What the doc said was that the vitreous (the clear filling) of the eye, with age, converts to a liquid. From the center out. You wind up with a shell of material left coating the retina. This can tear loose instead of gracefully liquefying.

The tearing is serious, the retina can be damaged. Bright flashes are a symptom of pulling on the retina. Damage is better caught sooner than later as later is always worse. edit: if the retina is damaged it can propagate even though the initial problem is over.

Meanwhile those loose bits float around until they dissolve away, never completely disappear. They can drop to the bottom but rapid eye movement will stir them up. Driving will do that.

YOU REALLY NEED A CHECKUP with an ophthalmologist. Have somebody drive you cause the Eye Doc will dilate your eyes.

edit2: In my case old means 48-49, but the doc said that varies.

Edited by gbeer (09/08/2007 01:51)

#301396 - 09/08/2007 03:27 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: gbeer]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Quote:
Call an ophthalmologist and go see him. Now. It's serious enough that you need a pro opinion.

I had something like that happen last year. It started as I walked to work from the parking lot. With every step I saw a bright flash in the center of the eye. Rapid eye moves did the same...

I'll be lining up doc visits for as soon as possible and get complete checkups.
The thing about this episode was that it wasn't induced by any physical trauma. It was sort of a visual version of a foot falling asleep- very much a nerve thing. The 'blank spot' turning to 'donut distortion' experience was shared for both eyes, so I knew it wasn't so much the 'cameras' as the 'video card'. lol The OS might be buggy at times, but what do you expect when the motherboard has the consistency of marmalade?

#301397 - 09/08/2007 07:46 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: andy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
It was incredibly scary while it was happening though, after 30 minutes lay down it cleared.

I've had precisely one migraine in my life. I don't want another one.

I was at work (after about three days of staring at lots of SQL and lots of output grids) and suddenly the right side of my vision disappeared. It wasn't blank, but I just couldn't perceive anything on that side. I'd attempt to read something, and although I could see that there were words there, I couldn't read them.

I went home and about thirty minutes later, the headache kicked in. I had to take a day off and sit in the dark.

I'd have found that boring if I hadn't been distracted by the pain.

#301398 - 09/08/2007 12:40 Re: Weird Eyesight Experience [Re: Robotic]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
You should get it checked out as others have said. I have a retinal scar that acts up and does similar things although not to the same degree. My scar is in the lower portion of my vision and can cause things to look distorted, or blurred. The doctors have no idea what caused it, and don't really care since it's not growing.
Looking at an Amsler Grid might be a good thing for you to do. It would tell you real quick if it's a migraine problem that comes and goes or a more serious retinal problem that is not going away.