Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303923 - 07/11/2007 21:08 major kitchen appliance advice
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Hey, if it's working for HDTVs, why not kitchen gear?

I'm getting a new house. The builder helpfully included a countertop stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher. That's all well and good, but they're all Jenn-Air, for which the (recent) lack of reliability gives me pause. As part of our deal, the builder agreed to replace this gear with anything I want, giving me credit (at his wholesale cost with his wholesale distributor) toward the purchase of replacements. As such, what I'm looking for are:

- 36-inch "drop in" gas-burning stovetop
- 30-inch electric oven
- whatever standard sized microwave that slots in above the oven
- standard-sized dishwasher

And, while we're at it, we're looking to replace our old fridge. The new house has a large blank wall on one side where you'd clearly put your fridge, freestanding. So, let me add to the wish list "big honking fridge". This means we could either buy a standalone fridge or we could buy a "built-in" fridge and build a cabinet around it.

I've spent a not-inconsiderate amount of time hunting around different web sites for these things, and I seem to be leaning toward the swank GE Monogram cooktop (18000 BTUs on the big burner!) and possibly a GE oven (convection for sure, maybe or maybe not "Trivection") and microwave (probably not the crazier "Advantium"). I have no deep preference for the other bits and pieces. I'm willing to spend a non-trivial price premium for reliability.

So, thoughts on this stuff? Preferred brands? Horror stories?

#303924 - 07/11/2007 21:36 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
This last year I installed a GE Profile dishwasher, and we love it. Good capacity, fantastic washing performance, and we have to be right next to it to hear it. Very quiet. I'd buy it again.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#303925 - 08/11/2007 02:54 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I researched for a few months earlier this year. Putting these into my new house in February:

Range: Bosch Dual Fuel (gas burners with an electric oven)
Fridge: LG French Door (freezer on bottom, two side-by-side doors above it revealing the fridge cabinet)
Dishwasher: Fisher & Paykel 603 (in traditional config I'd get an Asko or Bosch)
(Instead of) Micro: GE Advantium SCB1001 Speedoven 120v
Range Hood: Zephyr Venezia likely

I was also considering a BlueStar all-gas range, but the price in Canada wasn't great and is now absolutely ridiculous. The Advantium isn't even sold in Canada, but it's small enough I'll pick it up myself in Buffalo or mail order it.

In the laundry I'm going Miele with last year's stainless 6KG machines. This year's are a joke at 120v. If I could find something from 2004/5 I'd go for that instead (faster spin, more settings/options, probably easier to use controls)

#303926 - 08/11/2007 05:29 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The GE Advantium / Trivection technologies sound pretty swank, but I wonder if they're just something else to break or go wrong. The Fisher & Paykel dishwashers are pretty swank, but their reliability numbers aren't so hot.

I think it's smart to go with an electric oven and a gas stovetop. Right now, our rental place has a Thermidor all-gas range, and the oven takes forever to heat up. Our earlier, basic GE oven heated up much much faster and was always right on target.

Of course, if you want to really maximize the funky, you could get an Aga stove. You'd never want one in a hot climate like Texas, but in Canada it might make some sense. (An Aga is a giant, cast-iron, heavy beast, that slowly burns fuel, roughly 1KW steady state, to maintain a target temperature. You then learn to know which parts of the oven are at what different temperatures. This side hotter than that side, etc.)

#303927 - 08/11/2007 12:03 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
Charles Beer
new poster

I 2nd the fisher and paykel dishwasher. They are awesome.

So is their laundry outfit.

#303928 - 08/11/2007 14:23 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My experience with GE lately is poor. I've had to replace a GE dryer, need to replace a GE refrigerator, and got a DOA GE microwave since I moved into my new house. Given, the dryer and fridge were bottom-of-the-line contractor's specials, but still. It's turned me off to GE in a big way.

#303929 - 08/11/2007 14:27 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: Charles Beer]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

My concern with Fisher & Paykel: Consumer Reports' reliability numbers (subscription required).

Most brands you've ever heard of are rated with a 9% to 10% "failure" rate (which I presume to mean, somebody had a problem that needed to be repaired). The three brands that stand out on the list: KitchenAid (14%), Asko (19%), Fisher & Paykel (27%). With numbers like that, I'll probably end up with something less exotic, even though I really like the idea.

#303930 - 08/11/2007 14:42 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The thing you have to consider is that people are paying more for those premium brands, and expect more from them, whereas people who are buying bottom-end GE or Whirlpool products expect them to work like crap. So you almost always get higher "failure" ratings on high-end products.

#303931 - 08/11/2007 16:13 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Maybe, but go read the epinions page and see all the reliability complaints. Now tell me you want to spend a significant price premium for this thing, given all that. Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea. If it was reliable, I'd buy one.

#303932 - 08/11/2007 16:30 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, fair enough. Those sound like design problems and not reliability problems.

#303933 - 09/11/2007 03:39 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I had eliminated F&P because of the reliability complaints as well. But I kept doing research and when I was finally done added them back. All the issues I've ever seen posted have been well outlined. They have all either been addressed by F&P in product and part revisions or were due to installation error. That's not to say that the product line is now failure free, but it seems to be far more in line with other brands.

I didn't really want an exotic range, that's why I wanted to keep it simple with all-gas. The Bluestar is the home pro range that used to formerly be Garland. Their design and build quality is pretty industrial, but they have amazing burners. My favorite part of having a gas oven cavity would be the amazing infrared gas broiler. The Bosch dual fuel was far and away the best bang for the buck I could find. I'll get some quotes on a few other product at the same time, but I already have documented reservations about them.

Watch the Alton Brown trivection video at the GE site - just google for it. A little smarmy, but entertaining nonetheless. I'm not sure I'd trust a tenderloin fillet to the Advantium myself though.

#303934 - 09/11/2007 06:52 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Yeah, they've also got Alton doing a video to pimp their fancy refrigerators. At one point, he goes into an extended rant about how to properly pack food for the fridge (e.g., mushrooms in their original container, inside a larger tupperware bucket with a wet cloth at the bottom, then sealed shut) and then flips a switch and talks about why you don't have to do any of that crap when the shiny new GE fridge, where the air is already moist. Huzzah!

The fridge video seemed vaguely more believable than the oven videos, particularly given that, on his show, he spends so many different shows talking about how to properly cook meat, and it was mostly all about cast iron skillets, not high-tech ovens.

(For what it's worth, I'm presently leaning toward an all-GE lineup. Shnazzy GE Monogram cooktop -- where the metal grates flip over and become wok holders, huzzah!, GE Profile dishwasher -- with built-in garbage disposal, GE convection oven (but not the weirdo Trivection), and yee olde GE microwave. One amusement is that GE tried to do a microwave with all the shnazzy features but without the inscrutable wall of buttons. It's part of the GE "Cafe" line, and costs 2.5x what you pay for the regular GE Profile microwave. All that for a touch-screen UI on essentially the same oven. Cute, but probably not worth it.)

P.S. Does your LG fridge have an ice/water dispenser in the door? I'm curious how they manage to get ice into the door when the freezer is below the door.

#303935 - 09/11/2007 11:43 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'd been curious about that, too. In the manual on page 11, it shows that the inside of one of the refrigerator doors is basically its own freezer.

#303936 - 09/11/2007 12:01 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
P.S. Does your LG fridge have an ice/water dispenser in the door? I'm curious how they manage to get ice into the door when the freezer is below the door.

The units I have looked at that are similar have a self contained ice maker section within the refrigerator and it takes up a lot of space.

Matt

#303937 - 09/11/2007 12:25 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I watched that video demoing the oven. The steak he cooked looked horrible, it had all most no colour on it at all. Bleh.

I'll stick to my cast iron griddle pan thanks.

He also went on about how it prevented all the crispy corners on lasagne, casseroles etc

To me those crispy corners are often the best bit !

#303938 - 09/11/2007 12:55 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: andy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

You'll notice that on Good Eats he hasn't changed his suggested methodologies at all. He's just being a shill for GE. I hope he made some good money at it.

#303939 - 09/11/2007 13:49 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You'll notice that on Good Eats he hasn't changed his suggested methodologies at all. He's just being a shill for GE. I hope he made some good money at it.

Mmm... paid shill.... wait. I mean mmmm oddly coloured steak...

#303940 - 09/11/2007 18:14 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: tman]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
We recently got a Maytag wide-by-side fridge and like it. Explanation of wide-by-side:

http://www.smithappliance.com/appliances/list.nhtml

I also like the idea of the maytag dual ovens.

#303941 - 09/11/2007 18:27 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: morrisdl]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hm, that's a potentially good idea.

#303942 - 09/11/2007 18:41 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Speaking of water dispensers, when I get around to getting a new fridge, I'd like to get one where the water dispenser is offset from the front of the fridge so that you can get tall bottles under it without trying to jam it in that little niche. Of course, I can't seem to find an example now.

#303943 - 09/11/2007 19:35 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: morrisdl]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

If you follow the link from Smith Appliance, it takes you to a dead page at Maytag. Looks like Maytag doesn't sell it any more.

#303944 - 09/11/2007 19:49 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

They still have at least one.

#303945 - 09/11/2007 20:46 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd like to get one where the water dispenser is offset from the front of the fridge so that you can get tall bottles under it

I'm toying with getting an under-sink water filter. Those have larger cartridges that you don't have to change as often, they can potentially filter out additional nastiness that would make it through your fridge, and you also get the bonus of having ample space to put large bottles.

Or, you could just go nuts, get a whole house filter, and be done with it. At least in Houston, the regular tap water is pretty good stuff, so I'm not feeling the need to go nuts myself. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

#303946 - 10/11/2007 03:57 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to get one where the water dispenser is offset from the front of the fridge so that you can get tall bottles under it

I'm toying with getting an under-sink water filter. Those have larger cartridges that you don't have to change as often, they can potentially filter out additional nastiness that would make it through your fridge, and you also get the bonus of having ample space to put large bottles.

My parents have an "insta-hot" installed by their sink. It gives you a little faucet with two levers, one for filtered water and one for filtered near-boiling water. Extremely handy for tea, etc.

#303947 - 10/11/2007 13:18 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I like my water to be cold, making the fridge a better option for me. Plus, those often come with regulated dispensers so you can ask it to squirt out 12oz of water so you don't even have to watch it fill up your bottle.

#303948 - 10/11/2007 17:44 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
My parents have an "insta-hot" installed by their sink. It gives you a little faucet with two levers, one for filtered water and one for filtered near-boiling water. Extremely handy for tea, etc.

We have them at work, the cold water there is actually chilled as well as filtered, extremely useful.

Andy M

#303949 - 10/11/2007 18:16 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: DWallach]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I've said it before in other posts, but I've become convinced that regular tap water is poison, regardless of how it tastes.

A distiller or a good reverse-osmosis filter system are your only options for making tap water safe to drink.

This is a controversial point of view, I realize, but the published science on the topic supports my opinion. The EPA only mandates the testing for something like 20 water contaminants, and most of those are not the thousands of organic contaminants common to agricultural and industrial waste.

Water is, to put it mildly, *important* to the body. Drink clean water.

#303950 - 10/11/2007 18:26 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: TigerJimmy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Sounds like a load of old nonsense to me.

#303951 - 10/11/2007 18:31 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:

People drink water from rivers and fish do it in that!

#303952 - 10/11/2007 18:46 Re: major kitchen appliance advice [Re: andy]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Quote:

Uh huh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >