Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305440 - 26/12/2007 06:05 London
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Several requests in this post.

Long story made short:
I'm looking for a hotel for my (our?) honeymoon in London. Have a max budget of about 1,500 dollars for six or seven nights. (Yeah, it's not a huge budget. Congress hasn't decided to pay me a huge salary. If you throw in the weak dollar I am a bit limited to what I can work with. We'll still make the best of it. :P) I would like to stay away from trashy places as that's just not cool.

Having never been there I don't know the good spots to try to hit/stick close to. I've seen some OK deals in the Hyde Park area. That appears to be close to some of the sights that we'd like to hit. Those include, and pretty much entirely consist of, the following : London Bridge, London Eye, Buckingham Palace and Madame Tussauds. Any pointers there would be appreciated also.

April ~6 - ~14 is our time frame. Thanks in advance.

#305441 - 26/12/2007 13:12 Re: London [Re: RobotCaleb]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The fun bits of London are mostly all within 5-10 minute walking distances of each other, and the London Tube (underground) transit system is great (when not on strike..).

So.. you can stay almost anywhere and be happy.

I have stayed in London twice, both times just a 30-second walk from Trafalgar Square in the heart of London. The hotel was *cheap* by London standards, yet clean and modern enough to please.

The place was the "CITADINES TRAFALGAR SQUARE", which you ought to be able to find online. Rates were US$120/night when I stayed there, which is exceptionally cheap!

Cheers

#305442 - 26/12/2007 13:20 Re: London [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Some other essential trivia:

The place where we stayed is just about on the boundary between the "City of London", and the city of Westminster. Maybe a block or so from where Gordon Brown (the PM) currently resides.

The "City of London" refers to the original, small (2 square mile?), old city from centuries ago, which now includes the port, financial centres, Tower of London, etc.. built on the site of the original Roman walled settlement.

Much of the other interesting bits are in Westminster, with Hyde Park, St.James park, the Palace, parliament (Big Ben..), etc..

The massively huge greater urban area is what us outsiders routinely refer to as "London", but we must be careful to distinguish between "London", and "The City of London" here!

Cheers

#305443 - 26/12/2007 13:27 Re: London [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord

The place was the "CITADINES TRAFALGAR SQUARE", which you ought to be able to find online. Rates were US$120/night when I stayed there, which is exceptionally cheap!

I just checked one travel site for your dates, and it quoted me CAD$186/night for that specific timeframe. Other travel sites may give different rates.

Cheers

#305452 - 26/12/2007 20:29 Re: London [Re: RobotCaleb]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Have you got anything else planned for your trip, or is London it?

I was thinking you may want to spend a night or two away from London and book a really swaky Hotel there, then book a more reasonable place when you go back to London. Just an idea, £100 ($200) a night in London won't get you too far on honeymoon.

Cheers

Cris.