Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#312529 - 29/07/2008 05:29 Are Leather Seats Worth It ?
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
The old Smart Car is due for a change. After many months of test drives and thinking about it, the new Smart Car seems to fit the bill smile

I think I will own the car for at least 4 years, so I am specing it up a little bit. Leather seats have always sounded like a good idea, but I have never had a car with them.

They are a £500 extra, is it really worth it? It seems a lot when you consider all you get is 2 heated leather seats for that, not even the door panels.

Cheers

Cris.

#312530 - 29/07/2008 05:42 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
It seems a lot, considering it came as part of the package in my Renault, but everything on a Smart Car seems expensive. However, I find them more comfortable, particularly on a long run; easier to keep clean and longer lasting. The heated bit is great for starting the day in the winter.

#312531 - 29/07/2008 06:01 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: boxer]
Boelle
addict

Loc: Denmark, Odense
heated seats are also good if you have problems with muscles....

#312534 - 29/07/2008 06:56 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: boxer]
Cris
pooh-bah

It does seem very expensive, I had assumed that I got door panels and all the other bits in leather too, but that's not the case frown

It's just one of those things that I can't really add on after.

So what are the bad point of having leather seats ???

Cheers

Cris.

#312535 - 29/07/2008 07:17 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I can't think of anything bad about leather seats- except that due to their expense your car may be targeted for theft.

Leather seats can be 'less welcoming' in winter than cloth seats. So, many of them are also heated- and heated seats in the winter are a joy.

I'm looking to upgrade the seats in my del Sol, but the 'standard' is to install leather S2000 seats. Unfortunately, none of them are heated. Even in California it gets cold enough to desire a warm bum- especially driving at night with the targa open.

I say go for it.

#312536 - 29/07/2008 07:25 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Cris

They require proper care, otherwise they discolour, dry out and crack. So a good rub over with a hide feed every now and then, and a good waterproofer will keep it looking OK even if you occasionally get water on it. But wipe off any significant amounts of water, otherwise it will stain and harden the leather.

#312538 - 29/07/2008 10:05 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: julf]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Not the greatest in hot climates (Australia) I have to say. If my M3 has been out in the sun and is quite hot (>30C), the seats get quite hot too.

Once you're in the car even with the air conditioning, because the leather can't really breathe you end up with a pretty sweaty back...

The newer cars seem to have slightly perforated leather which seems to help a bit. The newer air conditioning units do a bit better too. My 98 model struggles a bit with the Australian weather even after it's been serviced - the climate control has issues understanding our weather too.

Given you are from the UK though that is unlikely to be too much of an issue for you.... wink
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#312540 - 29/07/2008 10:15 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

I find that a lot of women (actively!) dislike leather seats. Dunno why -- they never seem to give a coherent rationale for it.

Apart from that, I really like the feel of leather seats, the ease of slipping in/out of the car on them (not suede!), and their good looks and durability. Ditto for leather airline seats.

EDIT: but not BLACK leather seats -- way too hot on a sunny day. Other lighter tones are fine.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (29/07/2008 10:16)

#312541 - 29/07/2008 10:33 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: mlord]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
People on the Briskoda forum a few years ago were raving about Seat Surgeons in York. Apparantly good service, and excellent workmanship (photos look great!). I'd say its definitely worth calling them up and getting a rough quote. You'd end up with bespoke leather in practically whatever colour you want, and the door cards too. Maybe they can even install heating while they're at it?

I haven't looked at the idea since my last car, but I am very tempted myself for the Mazda.

#312542 - 29/07/2008 10:39 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: mlord
EDIT: but not BLACK leather seats -- way too hot on a sunny day. Other lighter tones are fine.

Hmmmmm, good point! They only do black.

Sein - Thanks for the link. I think if I did go for the Smart factory leather I would be very intereted in getting the door cards done to match.

Cheers

Cris.

#312543 - 29/07/2008 12:08 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Living in Washington DC, it gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. I would say the heat is worse than the cold in terms of it being hard to sit down at first!

The first several years that I drove I had a car with leather seats, and since then my car has had cloth. I definitely prefer the leather.

*edit*
Oh, and I agree that they need care, but if you're only planning on having this car for 4 years, I think you'll get away with pretty infrequent care. The car I mentioned that had leather looked great from '96 to '00, and only started cracking a year or two later.

Edited by Dignan (29/07/2008 12:12)

#312545 - 29/07/2008 12:20 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

One other advantage of leather is usually less static buildup. I used to get shocked nearly every time I got out of my car with cloth seats in the dry Colorado environment, and that issue went away when I got leather seats in the next car.

As for the heat with the black seats, just make sure to get a good sun shade and use it if you park in direct sun. I have all my windows tinted and also use a sunshade whenever I park, and it's worked well enough to deal with the heat issue. The worst thing for me beyond the seats has been the metal gearshifter. If I let that sit in direct sunlight, I usually have to wait a few minutes before driving off.

#312548 - 29/07/2008 12:42 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: julf]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I would've said the auto 'box, paddles and air con are worth more than leather seats, certainly in terms of comfort and resale value anyway. I'd also consider the cruise option, it was worth every penny.

They are also expensive to replace if anything goes wrong, I learnt the hard way when I accidentally left a screwdriver in my back pocket and scratched up the base cushion, it cost £260 to replace.

I've finally sold my roadster so I might miss the heated seats come winter, I won't however miss the money I used to have to spend on it. I certainly won't be buying a new 4-2, I think they've ruined it.

Andy M

#312550 - 29/07/2008 12:56 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: drakino
One other advantage of leather is usually less static buildup. I used to get shocked nearly every time I got out of my car with cloth seats in the dry Colorado environment, and that issue went away when I got leather seats in the next car.

I think that has more to do with the car rather than the upholstery material. When I was a teenager, my mom had a car with leather upholstery and it shocked me nearly every time I got out of the car, once through a leather jacket; the spark left a hole in the jacket. My car with cloth upholstery never shocked me.

#312551 - 29/07/2008 13:02 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I suppose this isn't really a huge problem in the Smart, but if you're inclined to take corners fast, cloth can keep you from sliding around in the seat as much.

#312554 - 29/07/2008 13:54 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: drakino]
Boelle
addict

Loc: Denmark, Odense
Originally Posted By: drakino
One other advantage of leather is usually less static buildup. I used to get shocked nearly every time I got out of my car

one small trick.. grab the door so that you touch the metal BEFORE you put the feets on the ground. and keep a firm grib until you are all the way out

have saved me many shocks util i forget the small trick, but you will get a very good reminder

#312558 - 29/07/2008 16:30 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: andym
I would've said the auto 'box, paddles and air con are worth more than leather seats, certainly in terms of comfort and resale value anyway. I'd also consider the cruise option, it was worth every penny.

The Pulse model comes with paddle flip as standard now, air con is on my list too. It looks like cruise is off the list on the new model and I test drove one with auto and don't see the £220 value in it.

I certainly won't be buying a new 4-2, I think they've ruined it.

Why? It drives better, looks better and has a better spec. I must admit I do quite like the feeling you are just about to loose control feel of the old one, but the new one is much better for my needs now, it sits on the motorway much better.

One great improvement is the sound system, for £200 extra you get a really nice sounding system with a sub under the drivers seat, sounds just like any other car with a good system, the standard system doesn't come with iPod control, but it does have an aux in.

I think I will put leather on my list, thanks guys!

Sein - BTW I contacted that company, £600 +vat for the lot doing, thanks for the link!

Cheers

Cris.

#312561 - 29/07/2008 17:53 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

I just don't think it looks as good as the old car. I had one for the afternoon and it didn't seem to hold the road any better than the old one, if anything it's handling was more unpredictable.

Apart from being expensive and painfully hot in the summer sun, leather seats are also likely to give you a sweaty arse. I always thought the Smart leather seats feel really cheap, not a patch on the ones I had in my 172, also because the leather is quite thin, they get creased to buggery and end up looking like an old lady's face.

It's a shame, but I don't think the 4-2 will ever be a daily driver for me again. Who knows, I may mellow in a few years and get a 2nd hand one as a second car. But for the same money as a Cabrio Passion I could get a Fiat 500 Sport with a bigger boot, rear seats, an extra year of warranty and dealers who don't work on the Mercedes hourly rate. The guy that bought my Roadster is an absolute smart nut. He's got 4 smarts including a gorgeous 4-2 Brabus Cabriolet and despairs for the future, he can't stand the new one.

Edited by andym (29/07/2008 17:54)

Andy M

#312565 - 29/07/2008 19:02 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I think that has more to do with the car rather than the upholstery material. When I was a teenager, my mom had a car with leather upholstery and it shocked me nearly every time I got out of the car, once through a leather jacket; the spark left a hole in the jacket. My car with cloth upholstery never shocked me.

The only difference in my case is that the cloth seat car was a 2000 Saturn SL2, and the Leather one was a 2002 Saturn SL2. They may have addressed the problem between model years somehow, but I always attributed it to the material and the environment. With the dry air in Colorado, it was just something I got used to.

#312569 - 29/07/2008 20:06 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I bet there was an additional grounding strap put in between those model years.

#312571 - 29/07/2008 20:15 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The whole issue of static shocks in cars is a tricky one. It's usually a combination of factors:

- Different brands and model of tire will (depending on the composition of the rubber) insulate the car from the ground by different amounts, possibly causing static buildup in the car's body as the air rushes over it. This can be seen sometimes when you buy a new set of tires for your car and suddenly notice that you're getting shocked when you weren't before, and vice-versa. They sell straps to attach to your car that dangle and rub the ground, supposedly to fix this problem. I tried those and it didn't work for me, so I can only conclude that my problem was caused by something else (or that the straps were substandard somehow).

- Different kinds of clothing, shoes and seat coverings, and their interaction thereof, can cause static buildup as you get in and out of the car. For instance, sometimes you'll notice the passenger being shocked when the driver doesn't get shocked, or vice versa.

- Different behaviors when getting out of the car, as was mentioned before; if your hand is already touching the car's metal when your feet hit the ground, you won't notice a shock because it will discharge through the soles of your shoes instead of your fingers.

- Different climate and weather. I noticed that I stopped getting shocked when I moved to Seattle, though the car, tires, and wardrobe hadn't changed.

In other words, I don't think there's a single discernable cause for every instance of car static. I think it can be caused by a bunch of different factors.

#312574 - 29/07/2008 20:38 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

I could get a Fiat 500 Sport

I have driven a few 500's. The car feels too small for me, with 2 people in it is much smaller than the Smart. Head room is a real problem for me, any option with the glass roof is a no go. Shame, it looks like such a good car. But it's still a Fiat and they haven't really moved the build quality up in line with the price. If you test drive one, just slam the boot and you will see what I mean.

The 500 was top of my list, but the dealers and the price along to with rubbish finance put me off. When you know that Fiat offers a 5 year warranty and free recovery in the rest of Europe along with much better finance you see that Fiat are just ripping off UK customers.

As for the rest of the small car market there just isn't anything exciting out there. The Smart isn't perfect that's for sure, but there just isn't anything out there that's better than what I have already got. If you take a £9k budget into a show room it really doesn't get you that much.

Cheers

Cris.

#312581 - 30/07/2008 06:24 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

I drove both a Sport and a Lounge and I thought the build quality and standard equipment level was excellent, in line with other cars in the 10k price bracket and certainly better than the Punto we used to have. I didn't have a look at the base model, but then I wouldn't have bought the base model anyway. I considered putting £500 down on an Abarth 500 but I've decided to drive one first before parting with any money.

I maintain the biggest rip off is Smart only offering a 2 year warranty in the first place. A car that complicated should be at least 3 years, if only to bring it in line with just about every other car on the market in the UK.

Andy M

#312583 - 30/07/2008 07:45 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK

If you take a £9k budget into a show room it really doesn't get you that much.

Err - so why go into a showroom... (or at least a new car showroom).

I don't know if you've noticed but cars are lasting *way* longer than they used to.
Fair enough - I'm not a typical car-buyer - but I've only ever bought 2 new cars. A 3 year old in good condition is so much cheaper anywhere in the price spectrum.
The concepts of 'budget' and 'new car' don't really gel to me.

#312585 - 30/07/2008 11:11 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I couldn't agree more, I bought one car brand new, got that "new car" experience and don't need to do it again. I'll let other helpful people take those first 2-3 years of depreciation.

Eryl is tempted by the Citroen C6, was £35k new two years ago. Second hand prices are just hitting £15k. I think we'll wait til next year when they hit £10k wink

When we were at the Motorshow the other day, even the woman on the Citroen stand agreed you'd have to be mad to buy a C6 from new...

#312588 - 30/07/2008 12:34 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andy]
StigOE
addict

But buying the car new give you the opportunity to get the car exactly as you want, with the colors and extra accessories that you want. Which you can't with a second-hand car. At least not easily, and often not cheaply.

Stig

#312589 - 30/07/2008 14:45 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: StigOE]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: StigOE
But buying the car new give you the opportunity to get the car exactly as you want, with the colors and extra accessories that you want. Which you can't with a second-hand car. At least not easily, and often not cheaply.

Yes, I agree. I love being able to drive the exact car I want. I also really hate fixing cars, I want something that will just drive me where I want and not break down.

The Smart does have a 2 year warranty, but the service plan tops that up to as long as you need.

Cheers

Cris.

#312590 - 30/07/2008 14:58 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

I want something that will just drive me where I want and not break down.

Ha! Let's hope they didn't move the people that worked on the roadster over to the 4-2 then! smile

Andy M

#312595 - 30/07/2008 18:18 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

I also really hate fixing cars, I want something that will just drive me where I want and not break down.

Except that cars seem to have more small niggly things go wrong with them in their 1st year than they do in the next 5 wink

#312609 - 31/07/2008 10:19 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andy]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Originally Posted By: andy
Except that cars seem to have more small niggly things go wrong with them in their 1st year than they do in the next 5 wink

My '86 Jaguar had a couple of catastrophic (and spectacular) failures in the first year, then the next 15 were uneventful...

Still, my favourite car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >