Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#312614 - 31/07/2008 13:40 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: andym
Ha! Let's hope they didn't move the people that worked on the roadster over to the 4-2 then! smile

I suppose I just like new cars. The current Smart is the first new car I have ever owned and it has benn pretty much trouble free since I first picked it up.

Anyway, there is a new Smart model coming in October which uses their new mhd technology (basically it stops the engine when you pull up). So I think I will be putting in a order for one of those. Not much chance of getting one second hand smile

Cheers

Cris.

#312616 - 31/07/2008 14:20 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Originally Posted By: Cris
If you take a £9k budget into a show room it really doesn't get you that much.

Suzuki Swift Sport?

#312617 - 31/07/2008 14:46 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: sein]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: sein
Suzuki Swift Sport?

Yes, it was 3rd on my list. Basically the running costs are too high for me. When you take the potential resale value it just didn't add up for me. A new Sport version is about £12k. Great car though.

Cheers

Cris.

#312625 - 31/07/2008 17:52 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: andym
Ha! Let's hope they didn't move the people that worked on the roadster over to the 4-2 then! smile

I suppose I just like new cars. The current Smart is the first new car I have ever owned and it has benn pretty much trouble free since I first picked it up.

My 4-2 was the most reliable car I've ever owned and my Roadster the worst. Two different cars, same manufacturer.

Anyway, there is a new Smart model coming in October which uses their new mhd technology (basically it stops the engine when you pull up). So I think I will be putting in a order for one of those. Not much chance of getting one second hand smile

At the risk of sounding like my father, it sounds like it's just more to go wrong. smile

So is it going to be a standard feature or will it be an option?

Andy M

#312626 - 31/07/2008 19:15 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

It's going to be a standard feature across the range, even the Brabus from next year. The dealer (Smart Manchester) tells me it won't cost any more, and there are other spec improvements also, just trim mainly.

It's been an option in mainland Europe since late last year, so the technology has been proven. It's not like I am buy the latest thing that hasn't been tested or anything.

This model of Smart is over a year old now, so I am confident that any problems will have been sorted, there are not the common problems (so far) the the Smart Mk1 had in the start. In all there were 8 revisions for the Smart Mk1 mine was a v7 your a v8 (the ForTwo). Also this model does not have a turbo, a major failing point of the old engine. You can get a turbo version but we drove it last weekend and it really isn't very good, the gearbox can't keep up!

The UK will also be getting the cdi version next year some time, one of the lowest emission fossil fuel cars in production. That option will cost more, but I would have really thought about it as it gets 80mpg+ !!!

Cheers

Cris.

#312628 - 31/07/2008 20:02 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

I would've said the major failing point of the engine has always been the gearbox. The changes are so slow, even in the new model. I like the concept of the semi-auto box, but the Smart one just leaves a lot to be desired. DSG seems like the best implementation for the money, but I'm going to stick with a manual for the next year or so.

Andy M

#312629 - 31/07/2008 20:35 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

I would agree, it is the weak point of the car.

I guess after 4 and a half years of driving a Smart I have just got used to it. The new turbo version is really bad though, the engine mapping seems all wrong for the gear ratios. I won't be putting my money there.

The mhd technology sounds pretty interesting, simple in principle but I bet it's not easy to make happen. I think the alternator and starter motor are the same unit, and the engine is able to start in the time it takes you to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal.

I have settled on a wish list, leather, air con, in the £35 tax bracket and under £9k.

Cheers

Cris.

#312634 - 31/07/2008 23:18 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I've always found it amusing that A/C isn't an option here. It's a necessity. I honestly can't remember ever having seen a car for sale without A/C.

Obviously, I am aware that not everyone lives in a hot, humid climate, I just find it funny.

#312638 - 31/07/2008 23:46 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: lectric]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: lectric
Obviously, I am aware that not everyone lives in a hot, humid climate, I just find it funny.

Heh. I'd find AC rather funny indeed in the UK! smile

#312639 - 31/07/2008 23:57 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I wonder if Smart offers the Mercedes MB TEX vinyl-ish leather replacement. I've got that on my 2002 E320 and it hasn't shown a wrinkle, crack, or stain yet. It's comfortable and even slightly vented via perforation.

On getting shocked: I always "beat it to the punch". After getting out but before I touch the metal to close the door, I rap my knuckles against the metal. This way, I know exactly when and where the shock will occur; no surprises.

On buying new: The only reason to buy new is when it's a very special car that you won't find used. Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi RS, Chrysler SRT, and exotic sports cars. Or if you do find them used, there's a good chance they'll have been tortured on a track or moded beyond spec. Oh, how I wish for a spare $80,000 to buy that W211 E63 AMG wagon....

On 1986 Jaguar: Of course you had interesting problems, it's a true Jaguar.

#312660 - 02/08/2008 15:01 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

so are you going to part ex or will you sell it yourself? It seems to be a sellers market for smarts at the moment. Smart manchester offered me 8k for the roadster against a new passion cabriolet last november. In the end i sold it 9.5k last week. It currently only books for 8.

Andy M

#312664 - 03/08/2008 05:36 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

I think it's a little different for the Roadster, esp the Brabus version.

They have offered me a fair deal overall, so I think I will just trade it in. I don't think it's really worth selling myself. I have sold cars myself before, and I really can't be bothered with all the time wasters to be honest. I have had a couple of people I know want to buy it off me, but I don't think that is a good idea really.

Smart Manchester has confirmed the mhd version will be available but I don't have a firm delivery date yet. I can't find anything really bad to be said about this engine, so I think that is a winner for me. The great thing about this engine is that I can have air con and the wide tyres (Pulse tyres) and still come within the £35 tax band, I could even go for the automatic option.

Cheers

Cris.

#312665 - 03/08/2008 06:52 Re: Are Leather Seats Worth It ? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

What have they offered you for it? The second hand Smart market is incredibly strong for all the reasons you mentioned here. The only exception is the 4-4.
It ended up being fairly easy to sell privately. But then again it was in really good condition with relatively low mileage. I think it's always worth trying to sell privately first, i wish i'd done that with my Clio. I'd happily entertain a couple of knobheads for an afternoon if it meant i got more for my car.

Andy M

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2