Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#322089 - 07/05/2009 20:00 Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This question coming from someone who used to work at Microsoft, no less. Anyway, uncle Google, as well as poking around MS's web site, isn't helping me yet.

I've got two HP laptops here at work. I've got my daily driver, and a "test" laptop that's used for software testing. The "test" laptop is similarly spec'd to my daily driver, with a few minor differences. But the test laptop has got better video with more VRAM and a larger display.

Both machines currently run Vista: Daily driver has the HP OEM Vista that came with it, the test machine has a clean install of an MSDN Vista license.

I'm thinking that a simple straight swap of hard disks is in order. Poof, I get better video, test machine still works, don't need to reconfigure or reinstall anything. At most I'd have to install a couple of device drivers on each machine.

Ah, but for the copy protection on Vista.

Anyone know what exactly it'll do to me in this situation and what will be required of me to make sure the two laptops are legal again?

#322091 - 07/05/2009 20:26 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

If it is the OEM installed copy and it uses the OEM BIOS activation then it'll probably be okay...

If you reinstalled with the number on the bottom then it'll want to be reactivated even thought it is an OEM version.

#322092 - 07/05/2009 20:35 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Can you tell me more about how the OEM BIOS activation works? My google searches keep coming up with talk about the cracks for it, which don't interest me.

I'm wondering how moving a hard disk to another machine should allow the OEM BIOS activation to continue working. Shouldn't pulling the BIOS rug out from under a Vista installation make it complain?

#322093 - 07/05/2009 20:37 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Ah never mind then. I misread what you wrote and thought both versions were running the OEM installed copy.

It won't like you doing that and will want to reactivate the MSDN version at least.

The OEM BIOS activation works by having a digital certificate inside the actual BIOS that has a corresponding serial number. If the certificate doesn't match the keyed in number then it will complain at you and want to reactivate. If it does still match then it'll assume that you're running on a licensed Vista machine.

#322094 - 07/05/2009 20:39 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
tman
carpal tunnel

There is a difference between the key that is used in the OEM installed version and the one that is printed on the label as well. The OEM one will automatically activate itself if it finds the certificate. The one will need a phone call or internet connection to activate.

There is a tool that lets you backup the OEM install activation and then you never have to call Microsoft if you reinstall from scratch.

#322096 - 07/05/2009 21:34 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
The OEM one will automatically activate itself if it finds the certificate.

Any certificate in the BIOS, or just the same certificate under which it was originally activated?

#322097 - 07/05/2009 21:47 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
The OEM one will automatically activate itself if it finds the certificate.

Any certificate in the BIOS, or just the same certificate under which it was originally activated?

It needs to be the same one as what it was activated with.

#322101 - 08/05/2009 00:10 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So since it wouldn't be the same, what would happen in that situation? Would it refuse, or require a phone call?

#322108 - 08/05/2009 13:45 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I know more about this stuff for WinXP than Vista, but I have to assume it's all pretty similar.

OEM copies grunge around in the BIOS ROM looking for evidence that they're seeing a board from the same manufacturer. So, if you do a HD transplant across two machines from the same vendor, you've got a good chance that it just works.

Otherwise (and perhaps regardless), all of the other Windows Activation logic kicks in, where they try to diff the "current" machine against the "activated" machine. Assuming they're "within tolerance", then re-activation shouldn't be required. If they're completely different, then they tell you that you need to make a phone call.

At that point, it's not really a big deal. You say that you did a brain transplant and that you're retiring the old machine or wahtever, and they give you the magic activation code.

#322109 - 08/05/2009 14:58 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

Vista checks specifically for the certificate in the BIOS. If it isn't present or it is the wrong one then it won't like it. If an OEM copy fails I don't think you can get it reactivated even over the phone since that should never actually happen.

#322112 - 08/05/2009 16:25 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Do the swap, reboot and check it out. It can't possibly take that long to see what happens. Make the call if necessary and just tell them Dan suggested. If that's no help just patch the OS with one of the many tools designed to get around what you're looking at.

Personally, my phone is reserved for ordering take-out, not calling Microsoft.

#322113 - 08/05/2009 16:38 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Do the swap, reboot and check it out. It can't possibly take that long to see what happens.

But it could possibly take all day to resolve. Perhaps even longer, if I'm left with a non-working OS because of the copy protection and I'm forced to completely reinstall the OS.

(My guess is that if the OS's don't like the swap and they go bad because of it, then swapping them back will leave them in the bad state rather than magically fixing them.)

Quote:
If that's no help just patch the OS with one of the many tools designed to get around what you're looking at.

Since these are both work machines, and our company is very careful about making sure all of our software licenses are legal, I can't use tools that would circumvent copy protection.

#322114 - 08/05/2009 16:41 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

Do the swap, reboot and check it out. It can't possibly take that long to see what happens.

The issue is that it'll deactivate the install and swapping it back won't reactivate it.

Personally, my phone is reserved for ordering take-out, not calling Microsoft.

I had a reply all written for this but I decided to delete it. I'm not going to turn this into another OSX vs Windows argument.

#322115 - 08/05/2009 16:42 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
(My guess is that if the OS's don't like the swap and they go bad because of it, then swapping them back will leave them in the bad state rather than magically fixing them.)

XP did this but it didn't use the BIOS certificate system so I'm not sure what would happen on Vista.

#322117 - 08/05/2009 16:47 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA

I had a reply all written for this but I decided to delete it. I'm not going to turn this into another OSX vs Windows argument.

I didn't mean to imply anything about Mac OS nor Apple. I keep two Windows systems running here.

Originally Posted By: tfabirs
Since these are both work machines, and our company is very careful about making sure all of our software licenses are legal, I can't use tools that would circumvent copy protection.

I didn't mean to use fake/fraudulent serial numbers/licenses or anything like that. You can use those tools to reinsert your real/valid serial numbers, repairing your authentication.

#322118 - 08/05/2009 17:31 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Got another drive? Make an image of the one drive and put it in the other computer. If it fails, so what? You were going to erase one or the other anyway.

#322119 - 08/05/2009 18:08 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's a good idea. I might just try that if I can scrounge an extra drive and come up with an easy way to image it.

I wasn't planning on erasing either drive: My plan was an actual straight exact **SWAP**, meaing the test machine's configuration and applications live in the daily driver's body, and the daily driver's configuration and applications live in the test machine's body, without having to reinstall.

#322122 - 08/05/2009 18:38 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I meant of the original and the copy.

#322125 - 08/05/2009 19:09 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Again, while I'm more familiar with XP than Vista's handling of this, I think you'd have no risk of a failed activation on the alternative computer damaging the activation status if you were to put the hard drive back in the original computer.

XP remembers the "hardware ID" under which it was activated and is always comparing that to the current hardware to make sure that it's still in tolerance. If it finds itself in an out-of-tolerance state, then it starts complaining, but it won't (so far as I know) obliterate its memory of its proper state.

So... (no warranties expressed or implied) it should be safe to try the brain transplant and see if it works.

#322128 - 08/05/2009 21:59 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California

Do you have a spare drive that you can ghost the current install onto. If so try with the ghosted drive. Or the original, then ghost back onto that if it fails badly.

I really should read all the posts before replying to an early one.

Edited by gbeer (08/05/2009 22:00)

#322141 - 09/05/2009 11:58 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: DWallach]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Originally Posted By: DWallach
At that point, it's not really a big deal. You say that you did a brain transplant and that you're retiring the old machine or wahtever, and they give you the magic activation code.

Whenever I've had to call to reactivate XP (a couple of times) it's been entirely automated - you dial in a long number, it reads back a long number and it worked fine.

#322157 - 11/05/2009 11:23 Re: Swapping hard disks on vista machines? Can it be done? [Re: g_attrill]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: g_attrill
Originally Posted By: DWallach

Whenever I've had to call to reactivate XP (a couple of times) it's been entirely automated - you dial in a long number, it reads back a long number and it worked fine.

I've had to talk to somebody both times I called. There was no wait time and after explaining about the hard drive crash or retiring the machine they gave me the code without any problem.