Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326282 - 23/09/2009 01:40 I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it...
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Particularly when my lappy returns from hibernate, and these services start hammering the net, while the wifi is trying to reestablish it's connection.

Code:
itunes.bat

sc start "Apple Mobile Device"
  sc start "iPod Service"

call "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"

sc stop "Apple Mobile Device"
  sc stop "iPod Service"

ps: don't forget to disable the ituneshelper in msconfig.exe's startup tab

Edited by gbeer (23/09/2009 01:48)

#326283 - 23/09/2009 01:51 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: gbeer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I wonder why those services are talking out over the network in the first place. Can't think of a reason for them to want internet, and not sure what they would want on a LAN.

#326284 - 23/09/2009 01:54 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Don't know what they are doing, but when they are on, they slow many things down. Even Firefox sometimes has a hard time starting, until I kill them... then Firefox pops up instantly.

#326305 - 23/09/2009 15:54 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The worst one is Bonjour which gets installed with Itunes.

It adds a 30-second timeout to every shutdown or hibernate I do with my laptop.

#327398 - 08/11/2009 20:09 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: gbeer]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Another one of many reasons I've switched to Media Monkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/

#327405 - 09/11/2009 04:23 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tfabris
The worst one is Bonjour which gets installed with Itunes.

It adds a 30-second timeout to every shutdown or hibernate I do with my laptop.

I have iTunes installed, but I don't see Bonjour anywhere. How can I tell if I have it, and if so how do I get rid of it?

tanstaafl.

#327407 - 09/11/2009 07:34 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Bonjour is implemented as a Windows service, just disable the service.

Though Bonjour clearly doesn't have that effect on every Windows machine it is installed on, I have Bonjour enabled on two XP machine here and I don't have any slow shutdown/startup problems.

#327408 - 09/11/2009 10:02 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: andy]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I have Bonjour also installed and don't have this "30 second shutdown delay". That is all I have Apple-wise (no Quicktime, no Itunes) since it's installed with the software to configure the Airport Express I bought.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#327416 - 09/11/2009 15:56 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I have iTunes installed, but I don't see Bonjour anywhere. How can I tell if I have it, and if so how do I get rid of it?

Only try this if you have a 30-second delay on shutodwns and hibernates. As it was said elsewhere in this thread, the problem can be very machine-specific or network-specific.

1. Run SERVICES.MSC and set the Bonjour service to DISABLED.
2. Try some startup/shutdowns and hibernates. If they are all measurably 30 seconds faster, then
3. Remove Bonjour via the Add/Remove programs screen in the Control Panel.

#327420 - 09/11/2009 16:21 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Only try this if you have a 30-second delay on shutodwns and hibernates

I haven't done any A/B tests, but my computer does take a frustratingly long while to shut down.

What exactly does Bonjour do? If it isn't anything I need or want, why would I go through steps 1. and 2. instead of just proceeding directly to 3. ?

tanstaafl.

#327421 - 09/11/2009 16:25 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: gbeer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Since I only use iTunes for putting music on my Shuffle, I'm considering using Windows 7's new triggered services so that the necessary services start and stop when I plug the Shuffle into USB.

Well, it's on my list of things to do in my copious free time, anyway...

#327424 - 09/11/2009 17:09 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tanstaafl.]
drakino
carpal tunnel

What exactly does Bonjour do? If it isn't anything I need or want, why would I go through steps 1. and 2. instead of just proceeding directly to 3.

Bonjour is an Apple created open standard for Zero configuration networking (zeroconf). The idea behind it is that devices on a network are able to find each other without manually setting up an IP, or entering information ahead of time.

For iTunes, it uses Bonjour to:

1. Share music/movies/etc to other iTunes users on the same network.
2. Pipe music to any Airport Expresses on the network.
3. Discover Apple TV units.
4. Allow an iPhone or iPod touch to remote control iTunes.

Outside of iTunes, Bonjour on Windows will:

1. Allow a network printer to be used without configuration.
2. Add network bookmarks to Safari or IE. Most printers advertise their web config over Bonjour, among other things.
3. Allow discovery and configuration of any Apple router.

Other products may be using Bonjour for related tasks. Adobe software for example will use it to find an Adobe Version Cue server on the network.

If you have no use for any of the above, feel free to disable the service. While it shouldn't be causing any delays, Tony seems to indicate he has seen them on Vista due to Bonjour.

#327427 - 09/11/2009 17:26 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I haven't done any A/B tests, but my computer does take a frustratingly long while to shut down.

There are many things that can cause a slow shutdown. Bonjour is only one of many possible culprits. Make sure it's the actual culprit before you go deleting it.

Quote:
What exactly does Bonjour do? If it isn't anything I need or want, why would I go through steps 1. and 2. instead of just proceeding directly to 3. ?

It's meant to allow easier location of network resources for things such as printers and file-sharing devices such as the Apple Aiport devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

The fact that those kinds of devices and services are supposed to be discoverable on local LANs anyway, but frequently aren't due Windows network implementation issues, irritates me. Apple shouldn't have to write a Windows service to help that along.

#327429 - 09/11/2009 17:34 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
Outside of iTunes, Bonjour on Windows will:
1. Allow a network printer to be used without configuration.

I have to say, the one time that Bonjour worked for this task for me, it was quite impressive.

Quote:
If you have no use for any of the above, feel free to disable the service. While it shouldn't be causing any delays, Tony seems to indicate he has seen them on Vista due to Bonjour.

It was definitely Bonjour as the culprit in my case. Admittedly, it was on a laptop that moves between the work and home networks, and has a complex network profile involving three network interfaces and a proprietary VPN system.

I discovered it because Vista's event log now monitors the performance of startup and shutdown, and will log the number of milliseconds that any given process delays startup or shutdown. It's actually quite handy, try it. Run EVENTVWR.MSC, and navigate down the tree: Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, Diagnostics-Performance, Operational. You'll see entries like this:

This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device:
Driver File Name : \Driver\usbhub
Driver Friendly Name : Default Hub Driver for USB
Driver Version : 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Driver Total Time : 98ms
Driver Degradation Time : 88ms
Incident Time (UTC) : 11/6/2009 6:56:46 AM
Device Name : USB\ROOT_HUB\4&f59f0eb&0
Device Friendly Name : USB Root Hub
Device Total Time : 139ms
Device Degradation Time : 95ms

If you've ever had a system that was slow to start or slow to shut down, this is very useful information to have in the event log.

#327433 - 09/11/2009 18:14 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Hmm, thats handy. It's funny, on my work Windows 7 box, Explorer is the first thing on the list, and I have multiple "errors" that Windows started up. I guess that time was supposed to be a BSOD or something, and it failed, thus the computer booted.

Oh, and random gripe since I'm in Event Viewer. 7 versions of Windows (or 6.1 depending on how you count), and they still can't implement a global search function? I suppose I must be spoiled with my ability to search every log on my Mac in a second, or use grep at a command line on any Unix box.

#327448 - 10/11/2009 05:36 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: drakino
Oh, and random gripe since I'm in Event Viewer. 7 versions of Windows...

Event Viewer just keeps getting slower and less usable. The last time it was actually vaguely good was Windows 2000.

#327450 - 10/11/2009 08:45 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: Roger]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I did like Windows 2000

#327451 - 10/11/2009 09:31 Re: I'm tired of iTunes slowing things down when I'm not using it... [Re: tahir]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I'm still using Windows 2000 and don't see any reason to stop.

Except on my tablet pc, where the XP tablet extensions and pen are really cool.