Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#327160 - 28/10/2009 18:42 Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Vixy and I are planning to be in your gorgeous green country on the weekend of February 5th through the 7th. We will be performing at a convention located here on the Fri/Sat/Sun of that weekend, but are trying to squeeze a day or two of general sightseeing and recreation into either the prior or the following week.

The exact dates and travel details are being hashed out now, and we're at the point of deciding what we want to do, and we'd like suggestions. We don't have any specific goals yet, other than "it would be a shame to go to England and only get to see the convention."

We might be able to arrange some time in or around London, but if there's anything you folks would like to suggest that's closer to the con, we're all ears.

Ideas?

#327166 - 28/10/2009 19:10 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Go see a steeplechase race! wink

#327167 - 28/10/2009 19:42 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Seriously? That would be awesome. Do they do that sort of thing in February?

#327173 - 28/10/2009 22:26 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Having lived approx. 25 miles from there for the first 18 years of my life I can tell you that Grantham is a complete fucking shithole inhabited predominately by inbred retards. I'd try and spend as little time there as possible.

If you're looking for places to go nearby I'd give my home town Lincoln a try. The Cathedral and castle are pretty impressive. It's about 30 minutes on the train if memory serves, although the city is built on a hill, all the good stuff is at the top and the train station is at the bottom.

Andy M

#327174 - 28/10/2009 22:35 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: andym
inhabited predominately by inbred retards

Well that's answered a few things I have been wondering for a while smile

Sorry Tony I can't say that part of England has ever tempted me to visit as I have always assumed it was a bit of a crap hole as Andy suggests.

What sort of things are you looking for? What sort of things do you enjoy to do on Holiday? There are lots of things worth a look in London of course, but it's not really England anymore so maybe a trip away from the well beaten American Tourist Track could be a good thing???

Cheers

Cris.

#327175 - 28/10/2009 22:45 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

It really is dire, as is Boston, Sleaford, Louth, Spalding, Newark, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Skegness and Mablethorpe.

To be honest Tony, if I were you, I'd arrive in Grantham the night before the Con and leave the morning after it finishes. There really is 'nothing' to see round there.

Andy M

#327187 - 29/10/2009 08:59 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Doh ! I'd have loved to see you guys play, I love the album.

Unfortunately that weekend is our 10th wedding anniversary and we'll be hosting a party in a big country house at the other end of the country frown

#327192 - 29/10/2009 14:10 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: andym
Having lived approx. 25 miles from there for the first 18 years of my life I can tell you that Grantham is a complete fucking shithole inhabited predominately by inbred retards. I'd try and spend as little time there as possible.

Hahahahaha. Best response, ever. smile

My wife's uncle and aunt teach at an American university that has a large estate there, which gets used as a small campus. We went over to visit last year in March, I think it was. Spend your two minutes visiting Nottingham to do the Robin Hood thing (if that's what you like), and then be on your way. If you'd rather visit a smaller town than London, my wife and I enjoyed York -- it's a nice day trip from Grantham. The trouble with visiting London on such a short schedule is that, unless you've been there before, or know you'll be back soon, you end up rushing around trying to fit it all in, which is damn-near impossible, and quite exhausting. (Of course, if you and Vixy like theatre, you shouldn't miss the chance to see something on the West End.)

#327195 - 29/10/2009 15:21 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: canuckInOR]
andym
carpal tunnel

You can pretty much write off all of the east and west midlands! wink

One of the only good things about Grantham is that it has a main line railway station, meaning that a direct train to London takes only just over an hour and they're quite frequent.

I don't know how much time you've got or what your transportation arrangements are like but York is well worth a visit. Yet again, the train looks doable with only one change at Wakefield (you can probably safely avoid that as well!) and a travel time of just under 2 hours.

Manchester and Leeds aren't too bad, but I'd say to see as much as you can without expending too much effort, a car would come in handy.

Andy M

#327197 - 29/10/2009 15:52 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
Doh ! I'd have loved to see you guys play, I love the album.

Unfortunately that weekend is our 10th wedding anniversary and we'll be hosting a party in a big country house at the other end of the country frown

Thanks so much, Andy. Sorry you can't come, but enjoy the anniversary party!

And to everyone else: This is great information, keep it coming!

#327212 - 30/10/2009 14:26 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
Grantham is a complete fucking shithole

Oh, c'mon, Mrs. Thatcher was born there, there's a plaque above the corner store....gotta be worth a visit!!!

Seriously, I'm totally with Andy on this one: Grantham, and in February - Two wrongs don't make a right.

At that time of year, outdoors isn't much use to you, head for the railway station and go to the big city.

As for Andy's description of the locals, I thought that was Hull, or possibly Stoke, or maybe Workington would pip all three at the post, as places I dreaded going back to in my business career!

#327214 - 30/10/2009 15:11 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: boxer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Our current approximate plan is to try to arrive in London the week prior to the convention, perhaps Tuesday Feb 2nd, spend a couple of days in London, then head up to Grantham for the convention on Friday morning Feb 5th. Then head home immediately after the con.

We've got a few connections via the convention, and we're asking them if they know anyone we could crash with during that week. I'm also wondering if anyone here on this BBS would be willing to put us up for a few days in or near London? Don't know how many folk here are in that area.

Also: Anything particularly awesome in London we shouldn't miss? Touristy or not touristy, both kinds of suggestions are welcome.

#327216 - 30/10/2009 15:42 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

A trip on the London eye is a must I think.

Andy M

#327219 - 30/10/2009 16:08 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
A trip on the London eye is a must I think

I've never tried to go myself, but I'm sure somebody told me it's best to book ahead.

#327221 - 30/10/2009 17:26 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: boxer]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I really liked the Tower of London and the cabinet war rooms. Then again...I like pretty much anything historical. The replica of the Globe theater is interesting as well.

#327222 - 30/10/2009 17:38 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The Tate Gallery is one of the best art museums in the world. It was about the only thing I managed to see while I was there, and I wasn't disappointed, other than getting run out, and failing to use the one-way glass public toilet outside. Oh, and there's a boat that will take you between the two London branches of the Tate on the Thames, which I also didn't get a chance to use.

#327223 - 30/10/2009 17:47 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: boxer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: boxer
As for Andy's description of the locals, I thought that was Hull ...

I'm sorry to hear that. Hull is Raleigh's sister city.

Edited by wfaulk (30/10/2009 17:48)

#327224 - 30/10/2009 17:52 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Never understood the "sister city" thing...

#327225 - 30/10/2009 17:54 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

... and Wikipedia isn't a huge amount of help.

#327226 - 30/10/2009 18:13 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Never understood the "sister city" thing...

Me, either. But I'd rather not be associated with scum, regardless of the source of the association.

#327227 - 30/10/2009 18:41 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: boxer
As for Andy's description of the locals, I thought that was Hull ...

I'm sorry to hear that. Hull is Raleigh's sister city.

Yes, Hull (otherwise known as Hell if you're a Spaced fan) is probably crappier than Grantham. Although it is home to the Humber Bridge which is pretty impressive.

Andy M

#327228 - 30/10/2009 18:55 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: JBjorgen]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
I really liked the Tower of London and the cabinet war rooms. Then again...I like pretty much anything historical. The replica of the Globe theater is interesting as well.

Having visited London many times (including the 6 months I lived there) I never visited the cabinet war rooms, but I'd really like to go. I visited the Science Museum a number of times as a kid and really enjoyed it too.

Andy M

#327229 - 30/10/2009 19:16 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I remember liking the science museum the last time I was in London. Part of me wants to go again, another part of me wants to see things that I can't see anywhere else. (Every big city has a great science museum.)

What sorts of things in London are unique? A couple have been mentioned already. Anything else?

#327230 - 30/10/2009 19:19 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
The London Transport Museum is also really good, if you care for technology and the tube and such.

It's probably worth it to sit for a couple hours on one of those city tour buses, just so you can snap photos of things as you drive by.

#327231 - 30/10/2009 19:30 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Robotic
It's probably worth it to sit for a couple hours on one of those city tour buses, just so you can snap photos of things as you drive by.

Yup, that's a good way to see London. Good suggestion. Did that with my wife and daughter on my last visit because I only had one day. Might do it again.

Also looking for one or two things we can focus more attention on, rather than just passing by on a bus tour.

#327234 - 30/10/2009 19:48 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Share a pint or two at one of Henry the VIII's watering holes.

(in the courtyard to the right of that link)

(description here)

#327238 - 30/10/2009 23:19 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: mlord]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Hamleys toy store could be worth a look. Admittedly I was about 12 when I last visited but it still gives me that 'warm fuzzy' feeling just thinking about it! wink

Edit: There's also Windsor Castle to go and see; "the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world". Personally, I've never been to the castle but it's a very picturesque town with some nice olde worlde shops. It's also not far from Heathrow airport and has a railway station for ease of access.

Edited by AndrewT (30/10/2009 23:41)

#327239 - 31/10/2009 00:53 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: AndrewT]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Speaking of rails and such -- getting around medium/long distances in London is dead easy on the tube.

SWMBO and I hardly ever bother with surface transport (buses, cabs) when we're in town, prefering to use our feet. And we do favour walking, as everything downtown is just so fascinating to us new-worlders.

A hike up the dome at St.Paul's is definitely cool, with great bonus views of The City in good weather.

Cheers

#327242 - 31/10/2009 06:20 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: mlord
Share a pint or two at one of Henry the VIII's watering holes.

(in the courtyard to the right of that link)

(description here)

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Mark for inspiring us to use geocaching as a way to explore bits of London we didn't know very well. Eryl and I followed his lead and meandered round the inns of courts area by looking for a series of geocaches, it was a great way of seeing things would never have found my ourselves.

#327243 - 31/10/2009 08:19 Re: Tourism in England... in and around... Grantham? In February? [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Quote:
Although it is home to the Humber Bridge which is pretty impressive.

When it was first built, I had a letter published in the Times suggesting that, if they dismantled it bolt by bolt, it would just fit neatly between The Needles and The Isle Of Wight, where it might serve some purpose.

The completion of motorways on both sides of the Humber, and the scrapping of an eastern motorway scheme to bring Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire into the western world denied it any real purpose. Add to that the dissolution of Humberside and you've just about denied it its last use: Shuffling council files to and fro across the river!

It was built as Barbara Castle's election promise and will never pay for itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >