Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#328093 - 15/12/2009 14:23 Apple customer service: what customer service?
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have a two year old MacBook Pro. Recently, I happened to lose one of the plastic feet off of the bottom of the laptop. No big deal, I figured. I'm sure Apple will charge me five to ten dollars for a part that costs twenty cents, but whatever.

So I went to the local Apple Store to get one. I asked the Expert how I could get one. I pointed out that I was out of warranty and didn't have AppleCare, so I'd have to pay for it. He was kind of stumped by the question, and went to the back to ask (what I assume was) his manager. Minutes passed and the manager came out and told me that they didn't have any, and that they couldn't get any without a work order, so I'd have to call Apple Support and get them to authorize it. I was totally nonplussed by this information. I argued with them for a while that this was ridiculous, got nowhere, and basically stormed out.

<update>
Much later, I finally got around to calling Apple. I had to enter my information. When I got to the last section, I was pretty pleased:

There was actually an option there for "Rubber foot on Mac is damaged or missing", so this must be a problem that they have a stock answer for.
</update>

Then I had to wait for a callback, which was full of its own goodness. When the phone rang, I answered it "Hello?", and was greeted by a recorded prompt that told me to "Press 2 if you want to reschedule the call." I didn't, so I waited. And was told that they were sorry they had missed me and would call back in ten minutes. I guessed that the "Press 1 to continue" part had gotten cut off. Ten minutes later they called back. The first part of the message was still cut off, but I pressed 1 anyway, and got where I needed to be.

A short while later, a tech answered the line and I described my problem to him. He was also stumped, and went to ask his supervisor about it. A few minutes later, he comes back online and tells me that he has no way to sell me a foot. So I ask him, "You're telling me that there is no way for me to get a replacement foot for this computer out of warranty?" and he says that that is the case. Then he corrects himself and says that it might be possible for me to finagle one out of an Apple authorized service center, but definitely not an actual Apple Store.

So, what the hell, Apple? First you put feet on the Macbook that are held on solely by friction — no adhesive or fastener of any kind — and then you tell me that you refuse to sell me a replacement for what would likely be a 5000% markup?

At this point, I'm inclined to go steal a foot off of a display model at the Apple Store. I doubt that the feet of the new models are compatible, though.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do next? Obviously, I can try to find an authorized service center, but I don't feel like I'm going to have a lot of luck with that.

Attachments
Screenshot-Issue Description | Connect with an Apple Expert - Google Chrome.png

Edited by wfaulk (15/12/2009 16:16)
Edit Reason: Forgot about the dropdown

#328098 - 15/12/2009 15:17 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
My suggestion is to take it to the blogosphere. Send your story to Daring Fireball, TUAW, Egadget and Gizmodo. I think it's amusing enough that it might just get some traction. The media seems to be allow over Apple's App Store follies, that a story about their brick and mortar stores as well as support structure will give a relevant comparison to how the company is getting even more monolithic and affecting its customers even with the most simple requests.

DId you happen to ask them how much it would be for a repair job to replace that foot? Obviously they must carry the parts to be able to do that. Or, knowing Apple, they may want to replace the whole bottom half of the enclosure which will run you some $300-800. That would add some additional back-story that may be relevant to a green angle and wasted materials.

BTW, I'm dead serious about this.

#328099 - 15/12/2009 15:29 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: hybrid8]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
This happened to my 12" Powerbook. I took the foot off the other side so it didn't wobble and then moved on with life.

I mean, I really do understand your anger and frustration. But I've got to ask the question that: if it was Dell, Lenovo, Sony, Acer, Toshiba or whoever and they just turned around and said "sorry, don't have a part number for that", would you be just as angry?

#328100 - 15/12/2009 15:58 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: sein]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, especially if they had a corporate-branded service center at the mall.

To be clear, it's not as if it's just a sticky-backed rubber foot that's adhered to the underside; there's this raised plastic mount point for it.

What makes me mad is that they must have these feet available; the phone support guy said that an authorized service center would be able to get them. I'm perfectly willing to pay for the part and go to their store to buy it. They simply have no way, or, apparently, desire, to make it happen.

Oh, and I left off a significant point in the original post. I'll update it and highlight that section.

#328102 - 15/12/2009 16:42 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I think it's great that Apple have repairs available on the high street, but I have found that unless you are a complete dumbass and go along with everything they say it can be very hard to get what you want.

The most relevant example I can think of is when my Macbook battery died on me. It was a know problem with that model so I figured I'd nip down to my local store and get a swap out battery, a simple job I thought.

I had committed the almighty sin of not booking an appointment with a genius! I explained that this is a known problem with this model and I just need a replacement battery, I was told I need to book an appointment and come back, I said I'd buy a battery as I couldn't wait around, but was told I need to see a Genius to buy spares. I don't think me pointing out that it doesn't need a fecking Genius to see the battery is at fault.

They did go onto to replace the battery, about 3 hours later, I was with the Genius all of 5 minutes I think. But the process was totally ridiculous. They assumed I was a complete asshole, they might be right there but I found that in the Apple Store at least the customer is almost 100% not right in their eyes. It all smacks of a call centre process to me, they may as well read straight off prompt cards.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect them to stock every single part for every single model ever made, and as pointed out you can walk into an outlet selling any PC and expect service of any level at all.

I now have a MacPro with Applecare and would fully expect them to come to me for service on this if it ever needs it.

Cheers

Cris.

#328103 - 15/12/2009 17:08 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I had no requirement that they have the part in stock. I was willing to come back for it. It's just that they don't even know how to sell it to me.

#328104 - 15/12/2009 17:39 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I've had mixed experiences with Apple Store support people, but generally had good experiences with them over the phone. Looking back, I miss being able to drop by the reseller in Colorado to fix things. Their service was always good, no matter the problem. No appointment system, no crap about having to talk to other people, the reps just handled things properly.

Seems really odd that they can't just find the part number of the foot. Working support for both Gateway and Compaq/HP, these things were easy to look up. Every system had teardown guides, with every part labeled, and ways to order them for both warranty and out of warranty situations. Apple should have an easy time doing the same, since they have far fewer models of machines.

#328105 - 15/12/2009 18:12 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: sein]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sein
But I've got to ask the question that: if it was Dell, Lenovo, Sony, Acer, Toshiba or whoever and they just turned around and said "sorry, don't have a part number for that", would you be just as angry?

Dell and Sony do have part numbers for everything. It is just whether you can get them to sell you the part that doesn't also involve them sending out an engineer to fit it for you. Apparently it is easier to get spare parts out of Dell if you're in the US since there is some telephone number you can call that will sell you the spare. If you're in Europe then it'll be quicker to trawl eBay or find a local computer recycler.

#328106 - 15/12/2009 18:16 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, the part number's easy enough to come by. It's actually getting someone to give it to you that's the problem.

I mean, yeah, I can order it from a third-party, but that's just ridiculous.

#328108 - 15/12/2009 18:25 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Possibly helpful advice: find somebody who has a similar computer that's under warranty. Remove the feet. Submit a warranty claim.

#328109 - 15/12/2009 19:07 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've considered that, too. Know anyone with a late-07 MBP?

#328116 - 15/12/2009 22:52 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: Cris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Cris
I have found that unless you are a complete dumbass and go along with everything they say it can be very hard to get what you want.
I don't think me pointing out that it doesn't need a fecking Genius to see the battery is at fault.

Maybe being called "geniuses" has gone to their head and they think it's an actual comment on their mental acuity. It still bugs me to call them "geniuses."

#328118 - 16/12/2009 00:43 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I know this an apple sucks thread but I just have to add my dell sucks story from today.

My mom who is not a computer expert and still on dial up wanted to get a laptop as a gift for someone for christmas.

So I go looking and find a dell that looks pretty good. It's a stock one that they sell at bestbuy and it was one of the dell recommended configs so you would think they could just ship it right away.

We picked the free shipping because we ordered it last sunday so it should get here with no problem and dell initially said it would arrive in 5 to 7 days. Well after we order it the email comes saying it will be be by the 23rd. So I call to cancel so we can just go get it at bestbuy. Nope can't cancel it's "in production" yeah right it's not like it was a custom one or something what's production put the laptop box in another box and put a shipping label on it.

So now I look stupid for recommending them. Is that the kind of experience business customers get ? I can't believe they would wait almost three weeks for one computer.

I will have to call and bitch some more if just to make their hold times even longer.

Matt

#328119 - 16/12/2009 00:43 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Anyone have any thoughts as to what I can do next?

My Dell X1 (tiny precursor to the netbook) has lost four of its seven rubber feet over time.
Last year, I decided to do something about the wobbly typing stance this presented:

Hot Melt Glue !

Seriously!

It takes only a few seconds (after a 4-minute warm-up wait),
and.. voila. Fixed. Better than new.

Just blob it on in place of the original (missing) rubber pads.
It looks better, and performs brilliantly!

If you muck it up first try, then just peel it off and have another go!

Try it! smile

Attachments
dellx1feet.jpg

Description: Dell X1: original rubber (bottom left), and hot-melt glue (top right).

#328122 - 16/12/2009 01:16 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger
Nope can't cancel it's "in production" yeah right it's not like it was a custom one or something what's production put the laptop box in another box and put a shipping label on it.

No. They really do build the machines when you order them. It is called just in time manufacturing. They don't need to hold a massive stock of each machine configuration or a large parts supply. They just need to ensure that parts arrive in time for the orders to be produced. If you can pull it off and reliably do it then you get significant savings.

#328124 - 16/12/2009 01:35 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: tman]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I understand the potential cost savings of not having a bunch of systems done and laying around but they must be mass producing these things someplace if I can get one at any best buy in the same configuration.

Matt

#328126 - 16/12/2009 03:27 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

I understand the potential cost savings of not having a bunch of systems done and laying around but they must be mass producing these things someplace if I can get one at any best buy in the same configuration.

Might be that Bestbuy are the ones that are holding all the retail stock. If you go via Dell then they'll do the regular manufacturing process.

#328127 - 16/12/2009 03:55 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: tman]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Dell shipping estimates are about as reliable as a psychic phone hotline. I'd be willing to bet up to $100 that it'll be there in time for Christmas.

#328129 - 16/12/2009 06:08 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA

Just because it's a "recommended configuration" doesn't mean they have it sitting in a warehouse ready to ship. They DO, however, have systems like that. You just have to look for the "fast track" logo. I recently helped a client order one. Really cheap - $500 and free shipping. We ordered it on a Tuesday afternoon, and it arrived the next day.

I had him order the 537s you see in that link. I helped him set it up and transfer his data, and was very pleasantly surprised by how fast that system is. Windows 7 just flies on it, even after you load it up with software. If you're able to cancel your order, I highly recommend that system. It's more than enough computer for the average user (and for 99% of my clients).

#328171 - 18/12/2009 01:13 Re: Apple customer service: what customer service? [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

So the thing came today. The Dell website and customer service is worthless. Yesterday they changed the estimated delivery date to the 16th with the status saying not shipped and 5 to 7 days for shipping like that would be possible. It has been delivered and they still say in production for the status.

Well i'm happy I got it but next time I will just go to the store and buy.

Good luck getting rubber feet !

Matt