Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#329942 - 09/02/2010 20:27 What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP?
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
All of a sudden I'm noticing that anything I send out via that account's SMTP server gets sent back to me as well.

It doesn't matter if I send via Apple Mail or right from the GMAIL web UI.

For instance, I send a message to an account at Yahoo and I end up with a copy of it in my inbox for my GMAIL account. WTF?

If I check my SENT MAIL through the GMAIL Web UI, I can see a ton of messages that were sent via Apple Mail and SMTP. WTF is google keeping a copy of mail that I only pass through its SMTP but not web UI? I can't find any settings to modify this behavior at all.

From my Apple mail client, I'm retrieving mail using POP and sending with SMTP. The GMAIL SMTP is my secondary SMTP server, used only when I'm in a couple of mail accounts

I've also noticed that I have about 1000 messages sitting in my GMAIL inbox, but I have my mail client set to delete messages after 1 month - which works fine with my other non-gmail pop accounts.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/02/2010 20:46)

#329944 - 09/02/2010 20:54 Re: What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Here's something I just found:

Quote:

My 'Sent Mail' is downloaded to my POP inboxPrint

When you enable POP, all messages are downloaded to your client, except for Spam, Trash, and Chats. If you don't want messages that you send from the web interface downloaded to your mail client's inbox, we suggest creating a filter within your client. You may want to contact your mail client's customer service department for instructions on how to categorize downloaded messages.

If you receive in your inbox a copy of messages sent from your BlackBerry device, see this article.

Except, I'm getting all mail back, not just copies saves from the GMAIL Web UI.

Translation to English: We're fucking idiots who don't know how to implement a mail system.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/02/2010 21:06)

#329947 - 09/02/2010 21:50 Re: What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

More fucktarded Google nonsense: Good luck logging into your Google apps account - or telling your users how to log in

I can't even find a simple nice URL (you know, like every other company has) allowing one to easily log into their apps account.

Instead you have to go to: google.com/a/yourdomain.com/

You can set "Nicknames" to receive email at alternate address names at your domain, but you can't send from those nicknames by default using the account they belong to. If you attempt to add an alias as a supported sending address, the GMAIL system is too brain-dead to know that the alias actually belongs to that account, so it wants to send out a verification email. Nice.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/02/2010 22:04)

#329952 - 09/02/2010 22:57 Re: What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP? [Re: hybrid8]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: hybrid8

Instead you have to go to: google.com/a/yourdomain.com/

Only if you don't add some lines to your DNS setup.
Code:
calendar  CNAME   ghs.google.com.
docs      CNAME   ghs.google.com.
start     CNAME   ghs.google.com.
mail      CNAME   ghs.google.com.

Mine works quite happily at mail.yourdomain.com or start.yourdomain.com. RTFM

#329953 - 09/02/2010 23:08 Re: What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP? [Re: JBjorgen]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've configured the CNAME records for mail so that I can access a simple sub-domain as I would for any other webmail interface.

I've never seen a list of valid CNAME entries other than "mail" for the google apps by the way. Even in Google's own documentation all I've ever seen given was an example of how to set mail. Without the correct name to create a record for, the fact that it can be done is sort of moot.

But what Google is also lacking is an easy way to get to their Apps product page and then a simple login link from there. They do have a product page here: http://www.google.com/apps/index.html But there's no link TO this page (Apps) from google.com for example.

And from there you then have to click on BUSINESS to get to here: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html#utm_medium=et&utm_source=catch_all

Which is a more graphical product page. Which then has a small "returning user?" prompt where you can click to log in.

The other issue is that they don't offer a one-stop login page for all GMAIL users while doing the redirection on their end. That is to say, I've had to tell a few people multiple times to make sure NOT to go to gmail.com even though they are using gmail as part of our webmail. They may have wanted to brand it differently or allowed rebranding.

Edited by hybrid8 (09/02/2010 23:30)

#329954 - 09/02/2010 23:13 Re: What's wrong with my GMAIL hosted SMTP? [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've worked around the duplicate email issue. I didn't see this suggested anywhere else, but so far I think it's the best solution that's ever been proposed.

TWO EMAIL ACCOUNTS.

One for outgoing and one for incoming when using POP clients. For the webmail client you can obviously log into the incoming account and use that for sending as well. Then you'll get those sent messages back on your client later which can actually be a god thing (as long as you filter them into the sent mail folder client-side).

So what I've done was to create a new account, called for example "inbox@mydomain.com" and set the original account to forward all mail to that account. Then I simply changed the POP account on my client to [ppicl up mail there while still sending using the previous address.

To wrap it all up (optionally), on that original (sending) account I'm also including filters to delete any mail FROM my domains. That way nothing I send gets duplicated on that gmail account either. You can implement just this filtering suggestion, but then you get an error every time you send mail using the web UI.