Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#331674 - 02/04/2010 22:27 Excel question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have given up on the idea of thinking that my Excel questions are simple.

It is possible to email a spreadsheet directly from within Excel. When I tried to do this, it wanted to use MS-Mail as the email client, and it wanted to use the (no longer valid) email address that was in effect when the computer was built.

How do I tell Excel that I want to use GMail and my current email address?

tanstaafl.

#331678 - 02/04/2010 23:35 Re: Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I don't think you can.

Excel wants to use an email client that can accept the attachment directly. Which means a native email client.

The gmail client is web based, you have to browse and upload attachments. AFAIK that can only be done interactively.

#331683 - 03/04/2010 06:41 Re: Excel question [Re: gbeer]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Gmail can be accessed by Outlook or Outlook express since it has an IMAP and authenticated SMTP setup.

You can't tell Excel to use Gmail - it doesn't work like that. It just starts a new email in your mail client and the mail client takes it from there... The problem is possibly that Excel can only use Microsoft email clients when using the builtin in "send to email" function.

If you want to use this a lot, you could set up Outlook Express to use your Gmail account (at least for sending only).
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#331689 - 03/04/2010 13:47 Re: Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I have given up on the idea of thinking that my Excel questions are simple.

You see why?

Nah, it's no big deal. If I could do it I would send about two emails a month through Excel. (It is the customs form for receiving packages here in Mexico through my mail forwarder who is located in Texas.) I'll just do as I have been, and save the file and attach it to a regular email.

Thanks for the info...

tanstaafl.

#331691 - 03/04/2010 15:53 Re: Excel question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There are a number of ways to set Gmail as your default Windows email application. Attachments are a bigger problem, though.

Try Affixa. There are probably other utilities that will help, too, but that's the first one I found.