Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#332782 - 05/05/2010 22:10 VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I run Linux as my desktop OS at work, but there are some times when I need to use Windows. I was using KVM, but I had enough problems with it that I gave up and tried using VMware instead. I was pleasantly surprised to see that VMware Player now supports installing my own OS, not just playing existing images.

However, I quickly discovered that performance was miserable with it. My hard drive was constantly grinding away, and my host OS iowait would hover around 15% and frequently be much higher, at least as much as 50%. After some searching about, I discovered that, for some inexplicable reason, VMware keeps an mmap()'d disk-based backing store of the guest machine's RAM, and keeps it as an unlinked file in /tmp. Since RAM changes pretty frequently, it's constantly slamming my hard drive trying to write RAM data in near-real-time. I also discovered that there's no way to turn this backing store off.

I've also found that VMware Workstation, at least the 30-day trial, has the exact same symptom.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this absurd brokenness of VMware, or should I just try something else instead? I've generally been pretty pleased with VMware in the past, but this one has my confidence very severely swayed.

#332788 - 06/05/2010 02:28 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Workstation doesn't do that on my systems. I wonder what config option is misdialed on yours ?

#332789 - 06/05/2010 02:33 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Attachments
vm.jpg

#332791 - 06/05/2010 04:10 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: mlord]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I run VMware Server on a Fedora 10 based machine and compared to another machine running VMware Server on Win 7 x64, performance (at least as in user responsiveness in Windows guests) is significantly worse under Fedora 10 I've found. I have played with a few performance settings without much luck.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#332798 - 06/05/2010 15:07 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that setting doesn't make any performance difference. It wires the guest's memory, so the host OS doesn't swap it out, but VMware still writes its own backing store. Some people are suggesting that you can move that backing store to be in /dev/shm, but I'm concerned that that will cause double memory usage. I guess I can try it out.

It is ridiculous that it has this backing store at all.

#332799 - 06/05/2010 16:22 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Workstation doesn't do that on my systems

Are you sure about that? Look at the VMware processes' file descriptors.

#332801 - 06/05/2010 17:45 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Oh, you mean this (hidden) file:

lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2010-05-06 15:43 128 -> /tmp/vmware-root/ram0 (deleted)

They've created/opened it, then unlinked it so that it is 100% invisible, apart from /proc/xxx/fd/*

I wonder what they're using it for?

#332805 - 06/05/2010 21:02 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I run Linux as my desktop OS at work, but there are some times when I need to use Windows. [...] However, I quickly discovered that performance was miserable with it.

I'm in the same situation, though at the moment, "sometimes" has been 90% of my time. I've been running a Windows 7 VM on a KUbuntu host, and haven't really noticed significant problems in terms of performance, but that may be due to my hardware specs (8Gb RAM, quad core i5 @ 2.67 GHz, software raided disks). Every now and then, I'll get some heavy disk i/o, but it's not frequent enough to seriously impact performance.

You might want to give VirtualBox a try. I gave it a whirl earlier, but went back to VMWare because that's what everyone else in the office was using, and there were already a number of virtual machines set up with it.

The thing that pisses me off most about the VMWare stuff is that it's killed both the alt-tabbing, and my MMB-copy/RMB-paste on the host.

#332807 - 06/05/2010 21:35 Re: VMware Player/Workstation performance under Linux [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I was actually trying that, and thought that it wouldn't load the VM i had built, but it turns out I had corrupted it somehow, as VMware won't load it any more, either. Yay.

At any rate, I made some changes and it seems to have resolved my problems. I changed my BIOS to present my (single) SATA hard drive as AHCI instead of as a RAID set, I moved the RAM backing store to /dev/shm, which seems not to have doubled RAM usage, I disabled an unused SATA port in the BIOS, and I added the pci=nomsi flag to my kernel boot options.

I know, I should have done one thing at a time, but I'm tired of arguing with it.