Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#342409 - 16/02/2011 00:35 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: msaeger]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
My first and final attempt to help out in the Mythtv "community", was when I signed up to their forums and posted a follow-up to an existing thread. My follow-up quoted a few lines from an earlier posting by somebody else, which happened to include a useful web link (from the quotation) to some patches or something.

I got "banned" for posting links as a n00b, and my IP address got blacklisted. Lovely people there. The funny thing is, this behaviour turns out to be about 100% typical of their closed development "community" and active hatred of end-users.

End of story.

#342411 - 16/02/2011 00:48 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
We should see about storming those forums Matt. I'm in.

#342420 - 16/02/2011 02:14 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
We should see about storming those forums Matt. I'm in.

Ha! Thanks smile I think they aren't worth it. After I get what I need from them I'll be leaving that awful board behind me and they can enjoy a community that'll shrink rapidly smile

#342435 - 16/02/2011 12:21 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Oh, I did that too. I had a thread going where I was the last person who responded to it, saying that I thanked them for their help and was going to try what they'd given me and report back. Nobody replied to that, and about three hours later when I'd followed those instructions, I posted back saying I'd done everything and had one last question. A few more posts were posted by others and myself, and about four hours later I received a private message from a site admin saying that I was guilty of the infraction of bumping my post up without letting 24 hours pass. Clearly, this wasn't automated because it took so long. So here they were, telling me that I'd been docked 5 points (FIVE POINTS! OH NO!) and that they were likely permanent points! My goodness! Will this go on my permanent record?

I have some really good suspensions/bans from game forums. One was for posting under 'Suggestions' for Warhammer Online that EA/Mythic should implement random drug testing for developers and QA so something like patch 1.2 (which did a LOT to kill the game) would never happen again.

#342448 - 16/02/2011 15:32 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: mlord
My first and final attempt to help out in the Mythtv "community", was when I signed up to their forums and .. got "banned" ... Lovely people there.

In fairness, I should add that Mark Kendall, one of the primary devs (if not the primary guy) is excellent and approachable, a great chap. But most of the others, well.. they often make the Linux Kernel Mailing List look rather tame by comparison.

#342451 - 16/02/2011 16:47 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: mlord]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Regarding political/religious topics, I never really cared for the former. The latter has probably been some of the best religious discussions I've ever had anywhere; tolerant in the true sense of respecting the person while holding a different opinion. I don't know that I've found that anywhere else, off or on the internet. The thing is, I've felt we pretty much exhausted religious topics and were rehashing quite a bit in the latter threads.

I still brag about this place to my Christian friends, though, and say what a great benefit those discussions have been to me in terms of understanding how other people with different beliefs think.

I agree that with a shrinking base, less forums is better. I also don't mind the topics that get posted. Reading posts here about sliced cheese is infinitely better than the most important topic you can imagine on any other forum.

#342452 - 16/02/2011 17:02 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: JeffS
Reading posts here about sliced cheese is infinitely better than the most important topic you can imagine on any other forum.

Crap... did I miss a good thread?

/me goes off to search for "sliced cheese".

Edited by canuckInOR (16/02/2011 17:04)
Edit Reason: Nope... no sliced cheese thread. Too bad, I'm sure it would be good.

#342580 - 17/02/2011 21:51 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Just as a trial, I changed the announcement about the empeg meet to a global announcement. That means it shows up at the top of every forum. I personally don't like this, but it is one of the few ways to make sure it is seen for those who only bookmark and browse Off Topic.

I am open to suggestions though on better ways to handle this. If it's a suggestion that isn't possible with the current code, the 8.0 release is around the corner, and now would be a good time to make suggestions to UBB.

One alternative is a "content" island, basically adding a sidebar to the left or right of the site. I'll have to dig into other possibilities later.

#342581 - 17/02/2011 23:07 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Given the nature of this particular announcement, I personally like it global.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#342586 - 18/02/2011 02:44 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: JeffS]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
[...] I still brag about this place to my Christian friends, though, and say what a great benefit those discussions have been to me in terms of understanding how other people with different beliefs think.

I agree that with a shrinking base.....

Jeff,

In the shrinking-base department, did you ever take djc up on his offer to fly to Texas on his own dime to have a dialogue about homosexuality?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#342592 - 18/02/2011 10:31 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: jimhogan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jimhogan
[...] I still brag about this place to my Christian friends, though, and say what a great benefit those discussions have been to me in terms of understanding how other people with different beliefs think.

Jeff,

In the shrinking-base department, did you ever take djc up on his offer to fly to Texas on his own dime to have a dialogue about homosexuality?

I sent him a PM on the subject (though I'd never have let him pay for it), but he never responded.

#342594 - 18/02/2011 10:40 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I'll say this on the topic of religious disucssions- I thought most of them died out before the user base started shrinking significantly, but perhaps I am mistaken on that count. I know that I was away from the board for quite a while (due to it being blocked at work and then getting distracted when I was at home and able to access the board).

As mentioned, I've always valued this place for the ability to speak freely about strong beliefs without people getting offended, but perhaps my value didn't exactly accurately reflect everyone's feeligns. If anything I've said has done harm to this BBS, I am truly sorry for that.

#342606 - 18/02/2011 14:15 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: JeffS]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If anything I've said has done harm to this BBS, I am truly sorry for that.
Jeff, you gotta be kidding! Your posts on the subject of religion were (IMHO) among the most valuable and treasured responses on the whole bbs. I agreed with very little that you said, but your calm, well-reasoned dialogs (even if your spelling was, ummm... a bit free-form sometimes smile ) were some of the best made by any member of the board. I always felt a little bad that you seemed to be so outnumbered in your opinions here, but I certainly admired the way you kept at it, undaunted in your convictions.

Maybe I should start a thread with a religious argument in the hopes that you will jump in...

tanstaafl.

#342623 - 19/02/2011 00:29 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: tanstaafl.]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I always felt a bit ashamed that I didn't pipe up alongside Jeff more often, but usually he said what I wanted to express well enough that I didn't feel like I had much to add. Well done Jeff.

#342624 - 19/02/2011 00:47 Re: "Market Research" and "the future" [Re: JeffS]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: jimhogan

Jeff,

I sent him a PM on the subject (though I'd never have let him pay for it), but he never responded.

Ah, I didn't know that you accepted and that he didn't follow through, so I should be less of a snit. At the time I thought it was a very generous and perhaps very brave offer on his part. It seemed like he really had a need to have that discussion, and I was disappointed that it didn't come off. Now *that* would been something to talk about with your friends.

Looking further down the thread, I hope that you don't feel like you offended *me* if that's what you were getting at. Depending on the phases of the moon, what I had for lunch, and the color of my mood ring, my contibutions here are, I'd say, a very, very mixed bag (see sig) from the intelligence, civility and overall value standpoint. I am thankful that I can usually rely on fairer folks like Doug to slap some of my bad karma upside the head and reflect more helpfully on questions such as yours.

Being a public employee (for the indefinite future), I don't get to read the BBS at work smile As I am getting older, I don't stay up as late and I type more slowly every passing day, so I will likely be a diminishing irritant here, but maybe moreso for bigger reasons, like being "done" with a lot of subjects. Like politics, religion, climate change, gun control, and a host of other things. That being said, I think Off Topic is totally precious and hope that anyone can ask anything forever.

Gee, I can be so much more circumspect when the Percocets start to kick in.*

Jim

*gall bladder getting the heave-ho in 2011

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2