Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#342998 - 01/03/2011 22:39 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: drakino
Similar concept, but a different business model. Our goal is to enable game publishers, and retailers a way to embed instant demos into their web sites. After playing, you would need to still buy the game at a shop or online.

Which is interesting, because that's only going half way with the potential of the service.

During the Beta, I was incredibly interested in the OnLive service because it would have enabled me to play games that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to play because of underpowered hardware. That was its selling point for me.

For instance, I played all the way through Borderlands on OnLive with fairly high graphic settings, when I wouldn't have been able to do so on my work laptop normally. I played through all of Crysis:Warhead on OnLive with a decent frame rate when it would have been nothing but a slideshow on even my desktop machine.

OnLive worked incredibly well for this purpose (actually playing games), *AS WELL AS* providing live demos of the games. The demos were interesting because they weren't manufactured-demos, they were just a limited-time use of the *actual* game. That, too, was a big deal to me.

If OnLive had had more actual *games* available to them, I would have bought some. I had actually *pulled the trigger* on a pre-order of Dragon Age: Origins, and then poof it disappeared from their games lineup on launchday and I got credited for it.

I guess what I'm saying is that Gaikai is missing the boat on one possible monetization of the service. I'm sure they're studying OnLive's business model and deciding that people like me are in a minority, and that it's not worth their time to try to go after me as a market segment. Which I can't fault them for.

I just think that if services like OnLive and Gaikai could strike deals with publishers for larger game libraries, then that side of the monetization would be viable.

#343002 - 02/03/2011 00:59 Re: Gaikai [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: msaeger
Yeah I don't see how Minnesota is Mid-West either. It's north east of the center of the county.

A lot of that is related to the westward expansion. It's all relative to the established population of the eastern seaboard where everything else is West.

#343013 - 02/03/2011 16:13 Re: Gaikai [Re: siberia37]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: siberia37
Originally Posted By: msaeger
http://www.architectureschools.com/m/regions.gif

Here's one with different names for the regions to make it more confusing for you smile

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/usa-regional-map.jpg

I think the regions are kind of arbitrary.

The first one doesn't even list the Pacific Northwest as a seperate region- it just lumps it all in with California boooo. It also makes questionable decision and puts Missouri in with the South- also very iffy and likely to inflame nerves. Missouri was a border state during the Civil war for a reason...

The second one isn't any better. Alaska is lumped in with the Pacific Northwest, despite being separated by 800 miles of Canada (and that's just to get to the lowest point, which isn't even close to the bulk of the state). North and South Dakota are lumped into the Rocky Mountain Region, even though the Rockies end half way through Montana, and have much more in common with the Central Plains, than they do the Rockies (here's a hint... on the western-most edge of North Dakota, is the Little Missouri National Grassland). Heck... you're probably closer to the Canadian Shield, than you are to the Rockies.

Whoever put those regions together has obviously never been to the places they're categorizing. They're also missing the border between WA and ID, and have an extra "n" on the end of the "Great Lakes Regionn". Not a stellar example of map-making.

#343016 - 02/03/2011 16:21 Re: Gaikai [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, it's good to remember that political and physical geographic borders frequently fail to coincide. To use a recent example, I think that Milwaukee is definitely part of the midwest, but the plains and highland areas of Wisconsin probably are not.

#343030 - 02/03/2011 19:49 Re: Gaikai [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Well, it's good to remember that political and physical geographic borders frequently fail to coincide.

Oh, certainly. But some of those regions don't seem to correlate with either.
Quote:
To use a recent example, I think that Milwaukee is definitely part of the midwest, but the plains and highland areas of Wisconsin probably are not.

Exactly. Attempting to define "regions" based on proximity of state boundaries to particular geological features is foolish. Regions are murky because they depend on history and culture as much as they do geography. Sometimes, if you're lucky, those coincide with state borders.

#348927 - 06/11/2011 04:57 Re: Gaikai [Re: canuckInOR]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Bumping this back up, as it's been a very wild ride working at Gaikai over the past year. Looking back at my post from February, it's pretty amazing to me to see the progress made as we come to the end of this year. Back then, we were just doing some basic demos, now we have full agreements in place that have lead to being integrated into places like Walmart, EA, Origin (EA's online digital store), Escapist Magazine, and most recently, Youtube.

The tech has also advanced, with our service able to handle even the heavy hitters like Crysis 2 at full quality. The web site changed a few months back to really help showcase what we are doing, complete with every game we currently host being on one page (http://www.gaikai.com/games). No more hunting for stealth launches or blog posts, it's open to everyone within range of the expanding network.

#348930 - 06/11/2011 05:11 Re: Gaikai [Re: peter]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Oh, and we recently moved into a new office that has some nice perks. The temptation to just go into work and play is very high now.
Originally Posted By: peter
I hope you've got this pinned up in your offices somewhere smile

It's up on my new cube wall now too, though I photoshopped it to say Gaikai :-)

Attachments
web-1.jpg

web.jpg

#348933 - 06/11/2011 15:50 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Dumb question: what's the latency on this thing? For twitchy games, is the latency enough that you can really notice it? Also, what's the bandwidth you need for a "high quality" game at "high resolution"?

#348936 - 06/11/2011 17:12 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
That's really cool that you guys are doing well. Changing jobs is never an easy decision, and going to a startup carries even more risk. Glad it's working out.

I've never worked for a startup, but I did get a lot of great advice from people here on the BBS when I made my own decision to change jobs back in 2004. I'm very glad I pulled the trigger, even if there was some risk involved in moving to a new city and starting out as the new guy in a group full of people that were much smarter and more experienced than I was. Now I'm one of the older hands in the group, and the work is still challenging and rewarding some seven years later.

#348955 - 07/11/2011 08:43 Re: Gaikai [Re: tonyc]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Very glad it is all going well, Tom! It is an awesome concept, and it looks like it is growing well.

Small companies can be so much fun! (admittedly I got sucked back into corporate world - now doing the same as I was when running my own company. Cons: the things you expect in a company of 170,000 people, like less fun, less excitement. Pros: much lower risk)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#348979 - 07/11/2011 15:54 Re: Gaikai [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Dumb question: what's the latency on this thing? For twitchy games, is the latency enough that you can really notice it?

Surprisingly low latency, considering what they're doing. The technology is impressive. I played through all of Crysis:Warhead and Borderlands (okay, I was using OnLive for that but I've played Gaikai games to and they are similar), and although I could feel the latency it was never really annoying. I couldn't believe how quickly this process completes:
- My mouse click
- upstream to the server
- Game's own inherent frame-by-frame latency
- Game screen rendering to buffer
- Video encoding
- Video frame sent downstream to my PC
- Decoding on my end
- First frame of gun-firing animation on my end.
That's a huge amount of shit to wade through, and it felt to me like it was in the 100-200 millisecond range. That's just amazing.

I wouldn't do Unreal or Quake deathmatch that way, not because I don't think I could do it (it would certainly work), but rather because 100-200 milliseconds is the difference between win or lose when you're up against other human players. I suppose if all the other players were on the same streaming service so that they all had the same latency, then I would have no problem deathmatching that way.

Quote:
Also, what's the bandwidth you need for a "high quality" game at "high resolution"?

DSL or cable modem are fine, as long as you're not streaming Netflix or doing a big FTP/BT download on the same line. If I had someone else doing something major on the household net connection, I wouldn't be able to play.

In the end, I was very interested in the technology and was seriously considering playing a lot of games that way. It's a perfect way to experience single-player games. The only reason I'm not doing it right now is that OnLive hasn't added any decent new games since they launched the service a year ago. It's simply a content thing. If they add some new games that I want to play, I'll log right back in and pony up the dough. And of course, Gaikai is positioning themselves differently, doing pretty much just game demos instead of full games, so that's a completely different thing. I'll try out any Gaikai game demo without hesitation, knowing that the technology works and that I'm getting an accurate representation of the game.

#348986 - 07/11/2011 17:20 Re: Gaikai [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Without going into NDA territory, I will say the tech behind some of our our competition is different then the tech behind Gaikai. And they are all evolving and finding new ways to handle latency. On the Gaikai side, I've been able to see the improvements made over time to keep shaving little bits off here and there.

Bandwidth wise, as long as you can stream an HD (720p) video from YouTube without issues, Gaikai should also be just as smooth. Bandwidth can be very finicky based on how the internet works though, with packet loss and different routes impacting the practical bandwidth between a user and our servers. WiFi is also somewhat problematic at times due to how quickly the available bandwidth can change. Makes it all that more challenging to engineer these systems to be reliable smile

Tony, I'd be curious in your direct experience with Crysis on the different solutions out there.

#348987 - 07/11/2011 19:06 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Tony, I'd be curious in your direct experience with Crysis on the different solutions out there.

It was the Crysis:Warhead sequel, and with OnLive, my only complaint was that the machines that were actually running the game weren't top-end, so the graphic settings weren't cranked. In other words, from my point of view, one of the best reasons to play Crysis on a cloud system was that the cloud server could be beefier than my puny home system. Which it was, but not by much. So I didn't really get to see Crysis in its full glory. Other than that, it worked just fine. I could feel the latency a bit, but for a single player game, that only means a slightly less crisp control feel.

#348988 - 07/11/2011 19:10 Re: Gaikai [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Clearly what needs to happen is that the backend should be a quantum cluster that performs every possible action every quantum of time and then provides you with whatever result happened due to the action you actually made.

#348990 - 07/11/2011 19:22 Re: Gaikai [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I'm wondering about your experiences between when you played the Crysis:Warhead game vs Crysis 2 on Gaikai. It's only the demo on Gaikai, but I'd be curious to hear if you notice any subtle differences between the two.

#348994 - 07/11/2011 20:06 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I'm wondering about your experiences between when you played the Crysis:Warhead game vs Crysis 2 on Gaikai. It's only the demo on Gaikai, but I'd be curious to hear if you notice any subtle differences between the two.

I didn't do a back to back comparison. I'll poke at Crysis 2 on Gaikai and report back.

#349018 - 08/11/2011 09:04 Re: Gaikai [Re: tfabris]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:

Oops...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We experienced an unexpected technical problem and were unable to start the GAIKAI game service. Please try again

I am trying from outside the US though.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#349020 - 08/11/2011 10:05 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I'm curious about your experiences between when you played the Crysis:Warhead game vs Crysis 2 on Gaikai. It's only the demo on Gaikai, but I'd be curious to hear if you notice any subtle differences between the two.

As long as you just test the service and not the game itself as Crysis 2 was ridiculously disappointing.

#349021 - 08/11/2011 10:15 Re: Gaikai [Re: Shonky]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: Shonky
Quote:

Oops...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We experienced an unexpected technical problem and were unable to start the GAIKAI game service. Please try again

I am trying from outside the US though.

I had a go on it last night and it worked fine in the UK.

Andy M

#349071 - 11/11/2011 08:19 Re: Gaikai [Re: andym]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Gaikai sounds like exactly what Sam needs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15627247

#349146 - 18/11/2011 14:00 Re: Gaikai [Re: sein]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
My problem with Crysis 2 on Gaikai was that once you get through the splash screens and intro videos and tutorial you're left with maybe 3 minutes to run around and get shot at before the demo time ends.

#349769 - 10/01/2012 18:52 Re: Gaikai [Re: frog51]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#349770 - 10/01/2012 19:08 Re: Gaikai [Re: Waterman981]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That is cool.

#349774 - 11/01/2012 03:31 Re: Gaikai [Re: Waterman981]
drakino
carpal tunnel

It was fun watching this come together. The newer TVs in the pipeline have really slimmed down, and the electronics inside appear to be so simple due to the SoC technology being built in. One more device down in the vision shown off on the Gaikai banner smile

#349933 - 23/01/2012 14:07 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Nice development again. It seems Gaikai will now also stream complete games and not only demos. There will also be Facebook integration. Cool!

#349974 - 25/01/2012 17:15 Re: Gaikai [Re: BartDG]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Sadly I still can't run Gaikai demos from home. Despite being able to happily play most current online games without any issues, Gaikai tells me I have packet loss:-(

Still think it looks exceptionally cool, and when my broadband gets above 1Mb I may be able to try it...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#349992 - 26/01/2012 11:03 Re: Gaikai [Re: frog51]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Ok, it's taken me a while, but now I've tried Gaikai for the first time. It works fine for me. I like the idea and the interface. I also like the cloud idea. I may be wrong, but Crysis 2 ran very smoothly on my Core2Duo system. And my video card is probably the oldest part of my entire system (a gforce 6600GT, but I don't game any more so I don't need anything more powerful) but still everything was fluent. I also like the ease of having the games at your fingertips should you decide you want to play a game. I see this going a long way, I really like this concept.

#353010 - 02/07/2012 12:38 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

#353013 - 02/07/2012 17:48 Re: Gaikai [Re: drakino]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Err... congrats?

#353014 - 02/07/2012 17:56 Re: Gaikai [Re: BartDG]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA