Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373648 - 07/12/2021 21:19 Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I was wondering what the best way to copy 2 hard drives to one large primary drive? For example: copy all music from one 30gb hard drive and one 40gb hard drive to one 160gb hard drive? Then I was going to buy a IDE to CF converter and buy CF cards. Like the ones below.

ide to cf converter, holds 2 CF cards

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036DDXUM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

128gb CF card like below, just get a 256gb or 512gb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB2TWI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

So then wondering if it would be the same technique to copy over to the large CF card as it would be copying to a large IDE hard drive.

So what is the easiest way?

#373649 - 07/12/2021 21:24 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Note that the "dual CF" ide-to-CF convertor, when populated with two CF cards, counts as TWO drives for empeg purposes. The maximum number of drives usable in the empeg is TWO.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (07/12/2021 21:24)

#373650 - 08/12/2021 00:56 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Follow the steps to "copying files (special circumstances only)". It gives step by step instructions on how to copy the files between two disk drives plugged into the same player.

There is a note in the steps:

Quote:
If desired, you can copy information from your old second drive onto the new drive. For example, if you are replacing two 10 gig drives with a single 40 gig drive (intending to discard or sell both of the 10s and use only the 40), then you can copy the FIDs from both of the 10 gig drives onto the 40 and it will work. As long as the two 10 gig drives came from the same player, there should not be any file conflicts because the FIDs are designed to be unique within each player's database. This won't work to combine the music from a different player, though.

#373651 - 09/12/2021 08:50 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

Quote:
Note that the "dual CF" ide-to-CF convertor, when populated with two CF cards, counts as TWO drives for empeg purposes. The maximum number of drives usable in the empeg is TWO.

When changing over to CF cards, will it work as long as I only have one of the cards plugged in when I am copying files over from the one drive to the one card using a dual CF ide to CF convertor?

#373652 - 09/12/2021 10:51 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Mr_Maniacal
When changing over to CF cards, will it work as long as I only have one of the cards plugged in when I am copying files over from the one drive to the one card using a dual CF ide to CF convertor?

Honestly, if you can manage it, plug everything into a Linux box with USB adapters and do it that way. Then you don't need to worry about how many drives are supported. It's so much quicker.

#373653 - 09/12/2021 14:22 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
What Roger said! smile

But yes, a single CF card works fine inside the dual-CF adapter.

#373654 - 10/12/2021 07:30 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Mr_Maniacal
journeyman

I am not to well versed in anything Linux. What is a Linux box?

#373655 - 10/12/2021 13:28 Re: Best way to upgrade hard drive from 2 small to one large and CF [Re: Mr_Maniacal]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Mr_Maniacal
I am not to well versed in anything Linux. What is a Linux box?

"box" refers to a computer, because they were traditionally beige-coloured boxes (other colours were available). It tends to be used as shorthand for "computer", even if that computer is not in a box -- or even if that computer is virtual and doesn't exist physically.

Linux is the operating system used by the empeg. You can also run it on a normal PC (a "Linux box"), such as the one that's under my desk right now. It also runs something like 95% of the internet.

Because modern PCs are significantly faster than the empeg, it's my preferred way to mess around with empeg hard disks.

If you were expecting a literal turn-key "Linux box", well, such things exist, but they're a bit niche.

But: if you're not "well versed in anything Linux", that might be a step too far.