Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373915 - 11/10/2022 22:49 Doorbells
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hello everyone. I’m looking into wireless doorbells. The Ring seems to get negative reviews due to time delay. Eufy seems to fare better. Trouble is I’m not sure what sources I trust anymore frown

Does anyone have any real life experience?

#373916 - 12/10/2022 02:11 Re: Doorbells [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Happy Birthday larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
With the Ring, it's not only the sloooooooooowness, it also doesn't detect mail carriers and it only connects about 60% of the time.

Now that I quit paying for it, it connects about 1% of the time.

#373918 - 13/10/2022 14:09 Re: Doorbells [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
My girlfriend loves her Eufy, there are newer ones out but she picked the one with the most storage at the time. Her reasons are:
  • No subscription - so not beholden to Ring
  • Stored locally - she is in charge of her videos (can't be requested through Ring)
  • Large internal storage - can go back quite a ways to see something (a coyote came up to the door and took off with something, we went back like 3 days to see a bird dive bomb into her wall)
  • Overly sensitive - she gets motion alerts from lightning strikes behind the mountains in front of her house and her trees/bushes blowing in the wind, but would rather that than missing something (we have several videos of packs of coyotes or javalinas wandering down her walkway).

Overall, she is really happy with it.

#373931 - 18/11/2022 00:47 Re: Doorbells [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
A couple months ago, they upgraded the Ring app and it's much faster now. Not fast, mind you, but in the neighborhood of acceptable (for me anyway). I'm happy enough with it, but I suppose it depends on your use case. I pretty much use it just to monitor comings and goings and package deliveries. I rarely answer a ring through the app. I don't have any issues with not being able to connect. I did a couple years ago, but they've resolved all of my issues with software updates.

I like the idea that the video isn't stored on the device itself. If someone steals or destroys the device, I still have the video in the cloud. I don't find the subscription fee to be onerous. At $39.99/year, it's cheaper than a single meal out with my family. If it was too high, I would figure out a way to roll my own to web storage that I'm already paying for, but at that price, I can't be bothered.

So I'm a satisfied customer.

#373932 - 22/11/2022 14:42 Re: Doorbells [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That all makes sense. I'm glad they've updated the app, I'm sure that was a very common complaint (as evidenced by the existence of the Fast Ring app).

I agree that I don't like devices that store the video on the device. I like that Eufy has a base station that stores it so at least it's somewhere inside your home, although that could still get stolen.

#373933 - 23/11/2022 18:44 Re: Doorbells [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Yeah, the Fast Ring app was deprecated after they updated the main Ring app.