Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#46458 - 14/11/2001 09:24 Recorder
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
I do live in France , so I cannot have Tivo.

After that, I even want a Digital Video Recorder.

I found <a href="http://www.goterapin.com/fea_cdaudio.html">Terapin VDR </a>

I'd like to know if someone can give me a better solution or absolutely wait Tivo was distributed in France ?

#46459 - 15/11/2001 09:33 Re: Recorder [Re: Nosferatu]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Well, can't you have it shipped directly form the US? I was thinking to do the same thing (Tivo is not distributed in Italy either). What problems are you having?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#46460 - 15/11/2001 10:03 Re: Recorder [Re: Taym]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

I want to know if someone have or know someone who already belong a Therapin Video Recorder .

I will post them a mail to ask also about power in France.

They says that it is european video compliant with pal but they dont talk about Power supplay.

In france it is 220 Volts, in Uk 110 I believe.

So I want to know (not like Mulder).

He Tatym , how fine is your BLUE Screen ?

#46461 - 15/11/2001 10:14 Re: Recorder [Re: Nosferatu]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
in Uk 110 I believe

240. I think it's either 220 or 240 everywhere in Europe.

But isn't French television SECAM, not PAL?

Peter

#46462 - 15/11/2001 10:37 Re: Recorder [Re: Nosferatu]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Nosferatu,

Ok, I don't know anybody who owns a Tivo here, nor the other device you mentioned. Now, my question is: did you have problems in buying the TiVo from the US?

As to the power supply, you can buy a converter / adapter anywere, I am sure. That will allow you to use a US device in EU, IF TiVo isn't already complyant with our voltage. I also think all over EU it is 220~240.
The blue screen is great. I finally also got the one from Empeg. How about yours?

#46463 - 15/11/2001 11:41 Re: Recorder [Re: Taym]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Therapin Video Recorder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote : "I believe" , ERROR, it's 220-240 in all EU but plugs are different.
Yes France is Secam. Made a mistake and not a little.thanks for correction ....
So I cannot use te Therapin, I will ask question .......
Will give you some more informations.

TiVo
------------------------------------------------------------------
I just visited some sites where shipment is only for US.

Have you a Tivo ?

Screen
------------------------------------------------------------------
My (Your old) red will ever be with Mark Lord Screen Blanker that will bring all older with his kernel.........

#46464 - 15/11/2001 17:44 Re: Recorder [Re: Taym]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Well, can't you have it shipped directly form the US? I was thinking to do the same thing (Tivo is not distributed in Italy either)

Like the empeg, the power of TiVo is not the hardware -- it's the software.

A TiVo in Italy or France without the TiVo programming services would be no more useful than a VCR, because the TiVo are customized for each installation. What makes TiVo special is that you don't program it to record "...Tuesday, December 4, from 8:00 pm til 9:00pm." You tell it to record "Nova" on PBS, and it does it, no matter what day or time. And then it is smart enough to know that if you like "Nova", you'll probably like "Scientific American Frontiers" hosted by Alan Alda, and it will record that as well, without any input from you.

In order to work this magic, your TiVo has to know all about all the TV stations in your area (or cable connections, whatever), which ones you receive, and when they air their programming. The only way it knows this information is by communicating with "TiVo Central" or whatever it is called -- a vast database residing in the U.S., accessible to your TiVo by means of a built-in modem and a $9.95 monthly fee.

If TiVo Central can't provide you with this information (and it cannot do so in Europe) then the TiVo player is really nothing more than a VCR on steroids.

tanstaafl.

#46465 - 16/11/2001 03:49 Re: Recorder [Re: tanstaafl.]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Yes, I was reading about the whole service provided by Tivo. Still, I think it is still good as a super-VCR, as you said. If I am not mistaken it should be possible to record and transfer the recording from tivo's hdd to a PC. Am I correct? Now, recording from satellite to digital must be awsome. The best quality you can get from a tv-like equipment. My idea is to keep my recordings on CD, That's all, and replace my old VHS VCR.

#46466 - 16/11/2001 05:00 Re: Recorder [Re: tanstaafl.]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Well, that's one problem (admittedly, a major one)

The other problem is that neither TiVO or ReplayTV do a SECAM-capable model, which is the TV standard France use. So without a video format converter (one on the input, and one on the output unless your TV is multistandard) you won't get any pictures.

Plus, in that case you might have fun as you'd need to control an external tuner, and the IR blaster might not have the codes for your local cable box/etc.

Most definitely not worth the hassle.

Hugo
ps: TiVO is available in Europe - the UK, at least! I think it may also now be shipping in germany; obviously, we get a PAL model, support for all the local hardware (cable boxes, etc), and programme guide info.

#46467 - 16/11/2001 05:59 Re: Recorder [Re: Taym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In reply to:

...it should be possible to record and transfer the recording from tivo's hdd to a PC. Am I correct?

Yes and no. There's no way to do that with a stock TiVo, but there are some folks that have been working on hacking the TiVo in order to be able to do that, but you have to open the TiVo, voiding the warranty and add in an ethernet card. For more information, I suggest you start at http://www.9thtee.com/TiVoUpgrades.htm.