Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53419 - 02/01/2002 11:28 Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I have a problem: my cable modem comes into the house in the spare room upstairs, where it goes through the firewall and drops down to the switch.
This then runs to the other computers in the spare room, and then the Rio Receivers in the upstairs bedrooms.
At the moment, there is no way to plug anything into the network downstairs, so I'm exploring some options:

1. Use HPNA. This would work great for the HSX-109 and for the Rio Receiver, but won't work so well for the car player. I could put a small PC downstairs to bridge PNA->Ethernet, but I'm trying to avoid this.
Are there standalone PNA->Ethernet bridges available?
Also, this'd require US->UK phone convertors. Do these work with PNA?
I'm reluctant to do this, 'cos PNA isn't great.

2. Run Ethernet downstairs, inside. This would be the ideal solution, but there's a problem. I live in a rented house, which has got all sorts of nice-looking coving in it, and a wooden floor in the lounge.
To get Ethernet from the spare room to next to the fireplace (which is where the amp and TV are) is going to be tricky at best. Any ideas for hiding UTP cable?

3. Run Ethernet downstairs, outside. This is probably the simplest solution - get a big drill and put a hole in the wall of the spare room, and another in the wall of the lounge. This would allow running the cable down the front of the house.
However, there's a difference of opinion in the office w.r.t isolation, if it gets hit by a lightning strike (Peter thinks this could happen, Hugo doesn't, John says you can't tell).
I don't want to lose a couple of grand worth of computer gear. Isolators aren't cheap. Are they necessary?
On the bright side, ISTR that my UPS has a UTP isolator in it, so that's one end catered for.

4. Wireless. This is obviously the coolest solution, but I'm not sure how to proceed. It's likely that I'll have more than one device downstairs, but won't have a PC.
It's also possible that, in future, I'll want wireless access from elsewhere (e.g. a laptop). This kinda dictates that the wireless access point has to go upstairs.
Which means that I need some way of connecting the empeg to it, from downstairs.

Suggestions?

#53420 - 02/01/2002 12:46 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
http://www.2wire.com/products/hpspecs.html

Does this help?

Bob

#53421 - 02/01/2002 12:54 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Are there standalone PNA->Ethernet bridges available?

Yes, but they are expensive. The one I found was about $200. With the adaptors that you may need for the US->UK issue, it is probabl not worth it for the slow speed.

I'm not sure what would happen if ethernet on the outside was hit by lightning. I am running a cable like this in a similar situation, but it's fairly low on the house, and a ton of ancient trees are around that I figure will take a hit before the house does. And it is grounded from the satelite coax ground run, so hopefully it's fine.

Wireless might be the best way to go. It can cost a bit, but the ability to sit somewhere on the network with no cords is well worth it. Theres enough wireless devices that you should be able to buy two and do whatever you need (access point and bridge, etc...)

#53422 - 02/01/2002 13:22 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
In your case (rented house) I would recommend a Wireless solution ... Plug an access point in upstairs, then to get good signal downstairs (if necessary) get another access point that will bridge off of the connected one, extending your range.

I would look for access points that are future compatible if possible ... like those that will allow you to change a pcmcia card out for a newer technology. Orinoco (Lucent) does this, and I believe Linksys is on the right track with their newer access points.

802.11b is pretty available now and moderately inexpensive. Very cool. This is what I run at home, and what they have around my school. It's a bit faster than your cable modem or dsl line, so it won't be a bandwidth constraint. 11 Mbits/sec ... so a little faster than 10BT right?

802.11a is the new cousin to that. Some manufacturers are getting near 90 Mbit/sec in "turbo" mode ... that's almost filling a 100BaseT pipe. These products are out, but not every manufactuer has advertised support. Proxim has and they've got a few products out ... a little pricey but very fast.

Orinoco has a good backbone to support these new technologies, and a very strong reputation for support, compatibility, innovation, ... this is what I would probably get in your case.

#53423 - 02/01/2002 13:25 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
The Linksys WAP11 can operate as an "Access Point Client" to another WAP11 acting as a normal access point. This allows you to bridge two ethernet networks while still having an access point to be used by regular 802.11b clients. For your configuration, you could hang one WAP11 off your switch upstairs and set it up to be an access point. Downstairs you can hang the second WAP11 off a hub/switch or directly into the HSX-109 (might need a crossover for direct connection... not sure). The downstairs WAP11 would be set up as an access point client and you'd configure it with the MAC address of the upstairs WAP11.

WAP11's run about $140 in the US. I'm planning a similiar configuration for my Rio Receiver because HPNA has proven to be unreliable in my house and I'd rather spend money than deal with dropping an ethernet cable in the living room.

I believe this access point client configuration is proprietary to Linksys and won't work with other brands, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

-Dylan

#53424 - 02/01/2002 13:29 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: grgcombs]
drakino
carpal tunnel

There was some other technology that offered the base 54mbps and "vendor enhanced" speeds that still worked in the 2.4ghz range. I have a feeling this will do better since most people will be able to just upgrade their existing setup, and remain backwards compatible, compaired with an 802.11 a/b compatible product needing to use two different frequency ranges.

#53425 - 02/01/2002 14:41 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Okay i shall go for the low tech option

An isulated wire outsie is unlikely to be hit by lighting as i imagine you have points higher than this with exposed metal like the tv arieal

If you have a phone line going where you want you could be real brave an tape a new telephone wire and ethernet cable without plugs to it and try pulling it throught the house. The best way to do this is to get some string do a load of half hitches round it and tape it up and then attach new stuff to it. get one preson to feed and one to pull gently.

Dependant on the age of the house and how it has been wired you might be able to remove the sockets on the walls and run with the power cables but that would need loads of messing around.

Another thing is can you get under the floor to run cables under the house

If you have central heating see where the pipes go from downstairs to upstairs

Or if you are cohabiting with a woman convince her that you need to redecorate then once she has decided on a new colour scheme before you wall paper/paint cut a nice big channel through the plasterboard and run your cables. Also if it is a rented house some landlords can be persuaded to contribute to redecortion costs.

#53426 - 02/01/2002 14:46 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: thinfourth2]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If you have central heating see where the pipes go from downstairs to upstairs

Heh, I forgot that I do this in my house now. My cable modem and server sit in the basement, and I run a Cat5 cable up into the exposed pipework of the house. It then eventually dusappears into a vent, and reappears in the bathroom, where it hides under the rug, and goes into the hub in the next room.

Works rather well, and the response from someone who notices the Cat 5 under the rug is always fun

#53427 - 02/01/2002 14:50 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: drakino]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
You have five cats under your rug !

How do you feed them?

#53428 - 02/01/2002 15:02 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Go to your local hardware store and purchase a long flexible drill bit. You can use these to drill small holes in the sill/floorboards/whatever inside the wall via a cutout that you'll have to make anyway for a jack plate. It's then pretty easy to run the cable through that hole, as long as you make sure that you cut a hole in the drywall at the right place below it. Given that your house has studs 20 inches on center, at most, you don't have to fish around too much to find the cable once you've threaded it through. Nice and tidy.

#53429 - 02/01/2002 15:28 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Studs 20 inches on centre? Roger's in the UK. God only knows what kind of house he's living in. :) I wouldn't even assume his walls are using drywall (gypsum-board, etc).

Bruno

16 inches on centre where I live in Canada - 2x4" lumber.

#53430 - 02/01/2002 15:38 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oops. There goes my US-centrism again. Sorry. Still, it's likely that it will still work, unless you have stone separating those floors. But cutting through plaster and lath is a huge pain, if that's what his walls are.

Around here (North Carolina), 16" on-center is, by far, the most common, but I think code allows up to 24" on-center in certain low-load situations, but I've never actually seen that. I've seen some old homes with them 20" on-center, though.

#53431 - 02/01/2002 17:57 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Tsk, my parents house has stone walls that are over 24" thick in parts (stays really cool in the summer!), and not exactly totally straight. Ditto for the ceilings. I think they call it "character".

...then again, it was built in 1649 ;)

Roger's place looks to me like it was built somewhere between the 1950s and early 1980s. Brick & plaster.

Hugo

#53432 - 02/01/2002 21:28 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Dylan]
Terminator
old hand

This is what I would do. Its the most trouble free way to go and it only costs 300 dollars.

Sean

#53433 - 02/01/2002 21:38 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Terminator]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, but you only get 11Mbps at most.

#53434 - 02/01/2002 23:47 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
Terminator
old hand

That should be fine in most cases. All the empeg/hsx/rio reciever stuff will only run at 10 anyway, right?

Sean

#53435 - 03/01/2002 00:24 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Terminator]
skritch
journeyman

Loc: San Jose, CA
Generally, it's more than adequate. My home network:

1 Apple Airport base station (for client 802.11b access, 128-bit WEP -- I replaced the WaveLAN siver with a gold card)

2 LinkSys WAP11 base stations bridging my home office and my living room LANs

at least 2 notebooks simultaneously web browsing, listening to streaming media, logging into/transferring files to/from machine on my home office LAN or systems in colocation facilities via 802.11b PCMCIA cards

at least two handhelds doing similar things, plus running either VNC or Microsoft's remote access client (basically the same as VNC, but for Windows) via 802.11b cards

Occasionally one of my Tivos also pulls its updates via a Toshiba Libretto running OpenBSD and networked via an 802.11b connection.

1 SliMP3 on the living room LAN streaming MP3s from Live365 via the 802.11b bridge, or from my MP3 server on my home office LAN (also via the 802.11b bridge)

I've had the SliMP3, both notebooks, and Tivo all sucking data simultaneously, without placing any strain on that 11Mbps pipe.
#2529 [blue]Mk2a 10GB + Tuner[/blue] Original reg #3422 http://www.bitshift.org

#53436 - 03/01/2002 05:09 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: thinfourth2]
Roger
carpal tunnel

...new telephone wire and ethernet cable without plugs to it and try pulling it throught the house

Won't work. Tried that. The telephone cable vanishes into the depths of the walls too thoroughly for that to work.

We also tried threading the cable through the front wall, along with the cable TV, but without success. This is why I purchased a drill.

Another thing is can you get under the floor to run cables under the house

Not easily, the living room floor is wood-panel, so lifting it is likely to be tricky.

You can see the walls (including the coving) in this photo: http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album42&id=aaa&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

You can't see the floor in this one, but maybe I'll take more pictures later.

...if you are cohabiting with a woman convince her that you need to redecorate...

Well, I share the house with Toby (prolux), and persuading him that we need to redecorate wouldn't be hard. The landlord, on the other hand...

#53437 - 03/01/2002 05:14 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: skritch]
Roger
carpal tunnel

So, let me get this straight -- if I get a pair of Linksys WAP11 boxes, I can configure them to do bridging? Ethernet level bridging, or IP routing?

Also, is the security in these things adequate? If I was running another PC downstairs, I could route PPP over an ssh tunnel over the wireless, which would be a cool hack, but slightly overkill.

#53438 - 03/01/2002 06:35 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: hybrid8]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Studs 20 inches on centre? Roger's in the UK. God only knows what kind of house he's living in. :) I wouldn't even assume his walls are using drywall (gypsum-board, etc).

Yes, it is probably an actual house (you know, bricks, mortar, concrete, that kind of stuff), not an oversized shipping crate...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#53439 - 03/01/2002 07:19 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

Yeah, but you only get 11Mbps at most.

I think its really only 5.5mps in each direction. Sort of mis-leading.

#53440 - 03/01/2002 10:46 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
Terminator
old hand

Its ethernet level bridging as far as I know. You can set it up to where it will only talk to a certain mac address, and there is 128 bit wep available. Im sure there are other ways to increase the security by encrypting things at both ends, but I haven't tried them.

Sean

#53441 - 03/01/2002 11:59 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: bonzi]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Bricks and mortar are still adhered to a stick frame. By themselves, brick walls don't hold up too well in building-type applications. That is, when they have to support a load, like a roof or a second story.

#53442 - 03/01/2002 12:01 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Won't work. Tried that. The telephone cable vanishes into the depths of the walls too thoroughly for that to work.
Did you try using a fish tape?

#53443 - 03/01/2002 12:15 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Er, I beg to differ.

#53444 - 03/01/2002 12:32 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmm. It seems modern construction techniques are quite different (moreso than I imagined) between the US and the UK. I've never seen the load-bearing porion of a house made of masonry in the US. But then, your link suggests that most houses have a facade made of masonry as well, which is only seen on about, at a guess, a third of the houses over here. (And that's near Sanford, NC, one of the ``brick capitals of the world''.) I guess it probably has to do with the differing amounts of wood historically available. It was probably much easier for American colonists to build wooden houses than to build stone ones based solely on resources availabe and it probably continued that way.

Regardless, how do internal walls work in these masonry-built houses? Surely there's not bare masonry exposed internally. And gypsum board is only about 50 years old. Is there strapping adhered to the masonry to which the plaster lath is attached? Is there any insulation involved at all?

#53445 - 03/01/2002 12:55 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Regardless, how do internal walls work in these masonry-built houses? Surely there's not bare masonry exposed internally....to which the plaster lath is attached? Is there any insulation involved at all?

I'm not completely sure -- I only live in one -- but I found some information here which seems to confirm my suspicions that you simply put wet plaster directly on the internal (brick) wall.

As far as the external walls go, newer houses tend to have a cavity wall, where the inside is breeze-block, and provides the load support, and the external wall is brick, which doesn't contribute much to the load support.

ISTR that the outer wall is held in place with the help of the eaves around the roof.

This kind of construction is limited in height, but for two to four storeys, it's not a problem.

Also, I suspect that early settlers in the US couldn't find the clay they needed to make brick (they were too busy trying to survive to go digging in the ground and building kilns), so they made do with wooden construction.

Since it works fine, they didn't bother making bricks when they did have the spare time.

#53446 - 03/01/2002 13:03 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: wfaulk]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
To be fair, in modern houses (in Croatia, anyway :-) load-bearing elements (corners, beams above openings and at the top of each floor) are usually made of reinforced (or, in the case of very high structures pre-stressed) concrete. Bricks, hollow concrete blocks or blocks made of porous concrete (they mix it with hydrogen peroxide so that released oxigen makes trapped bubbles - very light and good insulator) are used to fill the skeleton. However, that was not always the case.

Gypsum boards are used very rarely in residential buildings. Masonry is usually covered by mortar (plaster? - anyway, mostly lime, sand and water); sometimes wood paneling is used.

Bricks are very good insulator if they are not solid. Modern non-load-bearing bricks have voids of perhaps 75% of horizontal cross-section. However, one usually puts a layer of insulating plaster (normal lime- or cement-based or synthetic resin-based, mixed with beads of insulating material - clinker, volcanic ash, polystirene) between masonry and final, decorative layer of facade. Another aproach is puting a layer of polystirene blocks between masonry and plastic mesh that holds together outer layer of plaster (not very vandal-proof).
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#53447 - 03/01/2002 13:26 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also, is the security in these things adequate?

By default, probably not. A neighbor with an 802.11b card could probably hang around on your network.

In our town, we have an internet service provider who has an 802.11b network in their central office. This is not my provider, it's my provider's competitor.

Well, the owner of my provider's company, Scott, likes to take his laptop with him when he has lunch at Burger King. See, Burger King is next door to this competing ISP's office, and Scott can surf the net using their 802.11b router.

Scott, on the other hand, builds little custom 802.11b routers using his own custom-modified Debian distro running from flash RAM. He locks everything down so that others cannot do what he does at Burger King.

One of his tricks is to lock out all MAC addresses except the ones he specifies. So only a given set of cards will be able to access the router. I don't know if that would be possible to do on the off-the-shelf routers, but if it is, that would be adequate security for your home LAN, I think.

#53448 - 03/01/2002 13:51 Re: Wired or Wireless? Networking advice required [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Also, I suspect that early settlers in the US couldn't find the clay they needed to make brick
You've obviously never been to North Carolina. (The Roanoke (Lost) colony was either in southern Virginia or northern North Carolina.) There is nothing but nasty red clay as far as the eye can see. Right on the surface. At the same time, trees were probably more readily available and needed to be cleared an order to build a structure anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >