Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#73087 - 19/02/2002 04:26 Fan wiring for RioCar 2a
deswong
new poster

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Okay all your people who have put a fan on your empeg/riocar units.

Where is the best place to attach the wire???

I was going to go straight for the 12V lines on the DC input/Car input lines, but realised that the 12V for car can vary up to 14.4V.

I have found a small 486 cooler fan that will do the job nicely, I would ideally like the fan on when it needs to be, but understand that this is something still under development from what I have seen with Hijack, etc.

So if it could be on say, when the unit is playing and not in standby mode or something that would be really great.

I would just feel a little safer if there was a fan to cool the unit, after uploading 10Gb of music on it HiJack 55deg temperature overheat warning comes on...

Des.
(After a week of it being on the shelf, I finally get around to unpacking it...)

#73088 - 19/02/2002 08:19 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: deswong]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I don't think that the voltage variation will make much difference to your cooling fan. Why not use the amplifier sense wiring? The fan will draw a minimum amount of current and will come on only while the unit is turned on. If your concerned about excessive current on the sense wire then use an interposing relay.

Edited by Neutrino (19/02/2002 09:54)

#73089 - 19/02/2002 09:04 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: Neutrino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Why not wire it with a connector to the spot on the motherboard labled FAN? And discussed already in two previous threads?

The fan thing has been done already. It's old hat now. Just read the previous threads for complete details. Use the BBS search feature above.

Bruno

#73090 - 19/02/2002 09:59 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: hybrid8]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Nice Bruno, Good Boy, Heres a Cookie.

#73091 - 19/02/2002 10:46 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Note to anyone using the connector on the motherboard: Both pins are positive voltage. It is not a + and a Ground. The ground will be the player's chassis.

Also note that adding a fan should not be necessary for most installations. Also it will make getting the lid on and off difficult, so make sure to get a very low-clearance fan so you don't make things harder on yourself than necessary.

#73092 - 19/02/2002 13:34 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: deswong]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
If you go for the pins marked "Fan" (as mentioned by Bruno) and one of the screws that secures the mainboard to the lower case the fan will be on when the player is on i.e. playing or paused but it will stop when in standby mode. You might find the fan's a bit noisy so you might want to put a resistor in series with it to slow it down. Search the BBS you'll find plenty of discussion about it. Good luck.

#73093 - 19/02/2002 15:36 Re: Fan wiring for RioCar 2a [Re: hybrid8]
deswong
new poster

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I should use better keywords.

I have not been game enough to rip it apart yet, so I wasn't aware of the fan pins.

Thanks to all who have responded, the fan is only 6mm thick so it should clear everything quite nicely.

Regards,
Des.