Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84551 - 01/04/2002 01:10 Longshot...
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I can't seem to find an obscure program that might not even exist (I wonder why I'm having trouble).

I don't know how many people here have seen the movie "Hype!" by Doug Pray. It's a great movie with a great subject: the Seattle music scene of the early 90's.

Well in the movie one of the interviewees uses a program to demonstrate the lineage of Seattle "grunge" bands. For example you'd put in the name "Green River" and it would show you how many groups were related to it (like Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and Temple of the Dog even).

So I've tried in vain to find this program. I've searched the sites I could think of, looked all over, and even written a little query into Roger Ebert who has a lot of contacts (he replied and said he couldn't help me ). So I'm wondering what to do. I dont' know if this guy released the program or what. Plus, in the movie he was using it on a Mac, so I dont' know if it's even available for Windows.

Can anyone help me?

#84552 - 01/04/2002 02:07 Re: Longshot... [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Have you tried family tree software? This sounds exactly like the same type of thing. A couple years ago I bought one as a present for my dad and messed around with it a bit myself. It does the whole web type thing and will bring up a family tree of anyone you click on or search for. The data structure is exactly the same, and the program would hold pictures and descriptions. (mp3's too, maybe?)

Now if you're looking for the data to go along witht the viewing software, you're going to have to keep looking.

Matthew

#84553 - 01/04/2002 10:50 Re: Longshot... [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No, it was much more simple than that. just the names of the bands. no pictures or anything. this was 1996.

family tree software would be a little awkward for this kind of use. it's not really made for it. plus, I'd have to enter all the bands and their relationship to each-other and that would be tough.

It's just damned hard to find.

#84554 - 01/04/2002 10:54 Re: Longshot... [Re: Dignan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I know it is not what you are looking for, but www.AllMusic.com will show relations to other bands and list appearences etc...

#84555 - 01/04/2002 11:08 Re: Longshot... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

oh yeah, I knew that. this was just a specialized thing that I thought was really cool