Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#85747 - 05/04/2002 17:56 Geocaching
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I just came across this site called geocaching.com. This looks like a lot of fun! Basically, you use your GPS to go "treasure hunting" for these boxes people leave around. In them, they leave a log book as well as different items. When you find a cache, you log your visit, and you can swap out any item(s) for other item(s).

Makes me want to go out and get a GPS unit. Anybody have suggestions on good units that are decently priced?

#85748 - 07/04/2002 18:44 Re: Geocaching [Re: svferris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I've been using the Garmin GPSIII+ for a couple of years. mostly for fishing. It's pre-loaded with the major interstates and most highays. I upload topographical maps to it with separate Garmin software. It can be found for around $300. Most all models on the market nowdays are good enough for basic navigation, the newer, higher end units will have DGPS and WAAS for even more accuracy.
I've never done the geocaching, but I've thought about it many times. There are lots around here in Austin on the geocaching.com site.

#85749 - 08/04/2002 13:48 Re: Geocaching [Re: davec]
svferris
addict

I was looking at the Garmin eMap and the Garmin V, which is an update to the GPSIII. The Garmin V is almost double the cost of the eMap, though.

Does the GPSIII+ fit in your hand well? I don't want something too bulky. Also, can't I hook up a plain old GPS to my Palm and get some software on the Palm that can do the turn-by-turn features? Then I wouldn't have to pay for those extra features on the GPS unit.

#85750 - 09/04/2002 01:50 Re: Geocaching [Re: svferris]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
I have both a GPS V and a GPS III. If you can scrounge up the money, the V is definitely worth it. The more detailed screen, much more detailed maps, and autoroute functionality are all great. I frequently use it to mindlessly guide me to where I need to go, and it works wonderfully.

The III, III+, and V are all the exact same size, and I think very hand-friendly. They're not quite as tiny as the eMap or some of the other smaller units, but they're still very portable.

However, if your primary interest is geocaching (which I've done a bit of), you really don't need the map functionality at all. In fact, all you need is to be able to enter the coordinates and then have the GPS tell you how far and in what direction. Practically any GPS will do this, so you could even pick up a simple older unit for $50 or so, and not ruin your geocaching experience one bit.

So, geocaching, it doesn't matter, everyday GPS use, get the V.

Alex

#85751 - 09/04/2002 03:50 Re: Geocaching [Re: svferris]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Another project you might be interested in is the Degree Confluence Project
There are still 12,744 to go, so plenty of scope for exploring.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#85752 - 09/04/2002 08:27 Re: Geocaching [Re: Alexander]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Practically any GPS will do this, so you could even pick up a simple older unit for $50 or so, and not ruin your geocaching experience one bit.

That's true. One note though. The 8-channel Garmin 75 that I bought for a trip in 1993 ($575) still works fine (out on open water...) It's my sense, though, that the little 12-channel Garmin eTrex I bought last year on sale for $99 definitely outperforms the old unit in irregular terrain, under some forest canopy, et cetera.

The interface on the eTrex is pretty dumbed down, and I wish it had a numeric keypad like the old 75, but it's great for travel. Anyhow, my bottom line would be that, if you go the eBay route, I wouldn't get anything *too* old when there are fairly cheap newer alternatives that might serve you just a bit better in them thar geocaching hills.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#85753 - 09/04/2002 12:26 Re: Geocaching [Re: Alexander]
svferris
addict

So, geocaching, it doesn't matter, everyday GPS use, get the V.

I agree. But, I'm really interested in the turn-by-turn directions ability. I understand that I can use a plain old GPS and a Palm Pilot to do this, which is why I'm unsure if I should get the V or a cheaper model. Thing is, I'm not sure how well the Palm software works. I'm also interested in the empeg GPS projects. Would love to be able to have the empeg tell me turn-by-turn directions. If the projects are coming along well, I can wait for them. Anybody know?

Also, anybody have experience with the Palm GPS programs?

#85754 - 09/04/2002 12:27 Re: Geocaching [Re: frog51]
svferris
addict

Yeah, found this site too. Pretty cool.

#85755 - 09/04/2002 22:24 Re: Geocaching [Re: svferris]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
This is an amazing cache...check it out if only to determine the lengths some people go to make it a great find... Do check it out as it even uses MP3 technology (sort of).

Cool things in the Cache too. Have fun!