Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#89075 - 19/04/2002 01:30 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Ummm ... actually, that's ``scot-free''. Unless you're also a big Mister Miracle fan.

#89076 - 19/04/2002 04:10 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
So effectively you're saying that theft should attract the death sentance, and that the victim should act as judge, jury and executioner.

I used to have views like that when I was a kid, but I'm pleased to say I got over them.

Rob

#89077 - 19/04/2002 06:13 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Bitt, I thought that Scott Free was from some guy named Scott (last name) who "got off" for something due to a technicality... I should have paid more attention in high school..

EDIT: Any btw, those were Canadian soldiers, not civilians. It is tragic for sure. Unfortunately, this stuff happens a lot because of the sheer volume of military exercises that are conducted everyday. Thankfully, it happens far less than it used to.

There are two reasons that Canada can offord to have such a light military (IMO). The first is because Canada has virtually no enemies (the whole Terrance and Phillip thing is water under the bridge). This is partly because Canada isn't in a "power position" so they do not have to engage in foreign policy that conflicts with other powers. Now, while the US has certainly had some foreign policy blunders, if you look at things in the context of the cold-war, the "big picture" makes more sense. The cold war that most of us grew up in was quite stale compared to that of the 50's and 60's.

But the second reason (again IMO) that Canada can have such a light military is because it neighbors the USA. The border between the US and Canada is the longest (in mileage) non-militarized border in the entire world. Not only would a foreign power have to cross an ocean to attack Canada, they would have to get past the USA. And if anyone ever attacked Canada (or the UK or other NATO nations such as Germany) the US would respond with immediate action (with the support of the attacked nation). So Canada sort of has a proxy military. And why we keep bailing France out of messes when they turn a cheek to us, I have no idea (and I'm 25% French), but I assume it is because we were just affraid that the UK was next.

How's that for steering this Off-Topic AND generating Flame Bait!

#89078 - 19/04/2002 09:30 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ouch! The corrector stands corrected!

#89079 - 19/04/2002 09:35 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: rob]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
So effectively you're saying that theft should attract the death sentance, and that the victim should act as judge, jury and executioner.

From my, admittedly very shallow, understanding of Texas law, that is pretty much the case. You not only have the right to defend your life, but also your property, with deadly force.

Good? Bad? Right? Wrong? Well, I'm not sure. Their state, they make the laws.
Generally crime is declining in the US. Interestingly enough, the level of violent crimes is generally lower in what's known as "shall issue" states (unless there's a specific reason like mental illness, prior convictions etc, a concealed carry license is yours for the asking - and normally a gun class and proficiency test.), compared to states that doesn't issue such licenses or are very restrictive about it. The states that have the largest drop in violent crime rate are the ones that recently instituted "shall issue" laws. Quite well documented by, IIRC, John Lott in "More guns, less crime" Here's what a google search returns. Usenet newsgroups talk.politics.guns, rec.guns and alt.politics.usa.constitution.gun-rights all seem to have many references too.
AFAIK noone has been able to refute his data, though many in the anti gun movement have tried.

/Michael

#89080 - 19/04/2002 12:26 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: mtempsch]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Here is the link to the story in the Houston Chronicle. Interestingly, the guy who got shot (after blocking the guy with his Mercedes) was in a coma about a year prior. "Family members told Peters that Peacock, a stockbroker, had been in a coma for a period of time about a year ago. " You have to wonder where that came from. Another interesting quote is "Vinger added, "The answer to road rage is in the mirror. You can't fix what others are doing. So fix what you're doing.""

For what it's worth, every law enforcement offical I know vigorously supports the concealed weapon permit, which always suprised me.

#89081 - 19/04/2002 12:29 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: blitz]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Where the hell do you live? Every cop around here (that I've talked to) says it is crap.

#89082 - 19/04/2002 12:30 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
blitz
addict

Really? Texas here. What about you? I'm telling you it stunned me to hear them say it. I mean vigorously!

#89083 - 19/04/2002 13:12 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    I thought that Scott Free was from some guy named Scott (last name) who "got off" for something due to a technicality... I should have paid more attention in high school.
Well, there was a very famous man named Dred Scott whose later life centered around his struggle to escape slavery, and marks one of the most embarrassing legal cases in United States history. He sued in federal court to become a free citizen based on the fact that he has lived for significant periods of time in free states. When the case eventually got to the Supreme Court, the court found not only against Mr. Scott, but that, as a slave, he didn't even have the right to bring a case in federal court. The decision also voided the Missouri Compromise, which had prohibited slavery in new states north of Missouri. All of this was likely a significant impetus to the US Civil War.

But Mr. Scott was never granted his freedom by the US judicial system. He was eventually freed by his owner, only to die a year later of tuberculosis. So I don't think that using him as a frame of reference for freeness is appropriate.

Not that you suggested that this was what you based this on. But it's the only Scott case that I can think of.

#89084 - 19/04/2002 14:02 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hey Brad

In light of the fact that I've just retired after a twenty year career in the Canadian Infantry Corps, I would say in my professional opinion that your're way off on the reasons Canada has such a pathetic Armed Forces today....However I won't get into those reasons here in this forum. If we ever have a beer sometime, I'll offer you some of my insights if you're interested....

And for all here, those poor guys that were killed yesterday were members of my old Regiment (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) and if I didn't retire when I did, undoubtedly I'd be in Afghanastan right now myself...

Rest In Peace Comrads.... you've done your duty.

John

#89085 - 19/04/2002 14:07 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: ineedcolor]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

John, I'd love to get your opinion on that. I've talked to a few people here and there about it (1/3 of my co-workers are contracted in from a company in Canada.) I have to admit I have a few gaping holes in my knowledge of Canadian politics.. We are so damn close to one another we have to get a beer sometime soon.

I'm glad you retired when you did. (That was just recently wasn't it? I remember your Bosnia customs crisis...)

g' night

#89086 - 19/04/2002 14:48 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Well, certainly France has a long history with the United States. My passport is in English and French for some reason, etc. Wish I knew more about this.

Calvin

#89087 - 19/04/2002 22:37 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
blitz
addict

More information on the victim... Has an arrest record in Harris County for DWI and spent 45 days in jail and also driving with a suspended license. Two separate offenses. My speculation is he was drunk at the time of the incident.

No mention in the press about a daughter being in the car.

#89088 - 20/04/2002 11:18 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
thenominous

Loc: UK
What really got me going was the story a little further down the page posted by: wrx_in_efx

That stikes me as pure madness!

#89089 - 20/04/2002 13:13 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: thenominous]
blitz
addict

How so?

#89090 - 20/04/2002 13:17 Re: I may be moving to Canada.... [Re: thenominous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the guy was pretty dumb for ramming the mustang, eventhough the other guys deserved it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2