Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93749 - 14/05/2002 05:32 Sharp Zaurus
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This is a series of posts from someone I know that I thought would be quite interesting to people on this board. It's been brought up before a few times, but I thought I'd post this just in case people hadn't seen it:
------------------------------------
I spent today playing with one of these:
http://myzaurus.com/index.asp

It has the following:

CPU StrongARM(1) SA-1110, 206MHz1

Platform Linux2 based embedded OS (Embedix3) QT Palmtop Environment, Personal Java4

Display Reflective TFT LCD with Front Light (touch sensitive panel supported), 3.5" with 240x320 pixel, 65,536 colors

Memory 64MB SDRAM 16MB FLASH ROM

Input Device Touch Panel, QWERTY keyboard with a slide cover

Card Slot 1 compact Flash Card5 slot, 1 SD card slot (no copyright protection feature)

Man, was it slick, I have PDA envy. We were running an email cient on it over an 802.11b WLAN. The WLAN access point was connected to a laptop running RedHat, which also had a middleware application to convert the UDP packets to SLIP for trnasmission over a Motorola Astro RF radio. On the other side of the RF network was a WAN connection to the customers network, eventually to their corporate email server 3 states away.

I was walking around the site sending and recieving emails on this thing, all over wireless and RF networks and IT RUNS LINUX!!!!!

I want one. Anybody want to buy my Handspring Visor Platinum?

------

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=58-104-001

------

Ah, just as I'd hoped. The Z has all the sam eopen development support that the desktop Linux world has. So far, I've found freeware versions of everything from an X10 controller (home X10 devices), gameboy emulators, gobs of apps and games (even Quake), a VPN client, you bane it. Seems like it's an easy port from Linux to Qtopia (the dekstop environment the Z uses).
Double your pleasure, the Z also run Java apps. Damn, I could fill the memory on this thing up in about 1 hour just downloading apps.

Hey, even IBM microdrives work in the CF slot. Also, you can use both CF ans the Smartmedia slot at the same time.

I see a digicam solution in the making here. Imagine. Instead of buying a big SM card for the Fuji camera, use the included 16mb card, buy a 340MB microdrive, then use the Zuarus to transfer the images from the SM to the microdrive.

OHHH, look. An instant messenger client! tkcjabber talks with ICQ, aol, msn and yahoo AT THE SAME TIME!!!!

sHEIT, i JUST READ THAT SOMEGUY INSTALLED THE FULL BLOWN VERSION OF mYsql ON HIS z!!! Damn. Also available are ports for Apache webserver and it comes with Opera browser.

Some guy ported the Lame mp3 encoder to the Z. That means if you have a mp3 player that uses CF or SM cards, you can get wavs off a network cdrom server, encode them, then pop straight into your mp3 play. of course, this thing plays mp3z also.

My new PC may have to wait. I'm tempted to order one right now.

#93750 - 14/05/2002 06:04 Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
So this thing sounds geek friendly, but as I expected, nowhere does anyone actually talk about the PDA apps. I love the fact that it runs Linux, has CF and SmartMedia, blahblahblah, but tell me if the calendar, contact management, etc. applications are comparable to Palm? I got burned by buying a Casio E-100, which was at the time the best palm-sized PC available. Unfortunately the PDA functions stunk, and it was a bit too heavy. The Zaurus is heavier than a Palm, but lighter than most Pocket PC's. If the PDA stuff was well integrated and full-featured enough, this would be worthwhile. Also would need a good handwriting recognition program comparable Calligrapher to make it worth my while.

#93751 - 14/05/2002 06:13 Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: tonyc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I've played with the Zaurus at CES. The PDA functions are primative at best. Almost like an afterthought.

#93752 - 14/05/2002 06:58 Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: robricc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
As I expected.

Sigh.

#93753 - 14/05/2002 09:03 Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: tonyc]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
As I expected. Sigh.

I don't know. I'd keep an eye on it. Rob's right (CES was January?). I got a 5000d in February and when they proceeded with the commercial release, I was surprised -- it didn't seem like the basic PDA/PIM apps were really "cooked". I mean, they looked nice, but there were noticable dead spots from a functional perspective.

Beyond that, there are some very nice things about the Zaurus, but my interest is less in the PIM functions (I'm not very demanding in that respect) than in other functions (on-the-water, sunlight-capable wireless client and an in-car rally calculator that I hope to program any minute now!). My 5000d is actually up on eBay at the moment. I figure 32MB is probably not an obstacle for someone who wants basic PDA functionality, but I think I'm going to buy a 64MB 5500 this summer.

FWIW, I see some 3rd-party PIM-type apps starting to show up on myzaurus.com, so perhaps the quality of the original Qt apps will be less of an issue (although it is conceivable they could improve as well). Also, I hope that the crossover from the iPaq world will help bulk up the number of available apps.

Anyhow, it seems like Sharp followed so many other companies in succumbing to the "MS-Word 6" imperative -- release it regardless of whether or not it's ready.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#93754 - 15/05/2002 11:47 Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: Dignan]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Speaking of slick PDAs. I played with the new Sony CLIE with the built in keyboard and that thing is SWEET. It flips open like a phone, and the screen swivels around (!) and the keyboard is on the inside. It feels solid as a rock too.

Calvin

#93755 - 09/07/2002 19:07 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Testing! Testing!

Here's my first-ever post to the BBS from my Zaurus. Maybe my last, who knows!

Anyhow, my Netgear ME102 AP WAP and the 701 CF 802.11b card showed up, so I was compelled to give it a go.

Many of the criticisms of the Z (weak basic apps, synch problems) still apply, but it is a gem in the rough. A new ROM was released yesterday that seems to greatly improve synch over IP-USB/cradle... Will Sharp polish sufficiently (and quickly enough)? Time will tell. Soon.

*I'm* having fun, anyway. Next: VNC to Empeg.

#93756 - 10/07/2002 04:01 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I bought the SL5000D (developer edition of the Zaurus) but I haven't managed to get the ROM upgrade to work yet. So far this thing's been a waste of time & money.

#93757 - 10/07/2002 06:15 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, I'm just impressed you remembered this thread from May, and was able to find it on that thing

#93758 - 10/07/2002 08:24 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: beaker]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I bought the SL5000D (developer edition of the Zaurus) but I haven't managed to get the ROM upgrade to work yet. So far this thing's been a waste of time & money.

I have been lucky enough to not have any upgrade problems with 5000d or 5500, but I have certainly seen reports of same on the sourceforge Zaurus lists and zauruszone forums. Perhaps some of these were yours? Now, ROM updates for the "D" are lagging a bit behind the 5500 updates, causing some to question whether Sharp will continue to support the D adequately.

I sold my 5000d on eBay and got a 5500 not on faith (not my style) but because it is a gem in some respects and I want it to succeed -- it nicely meets a few requirements I had for a sunlight-capable, CF-enabled handheld that can serve as an ocean-going remote control for the Empeg and as an in-car rally computer that can operate in Alcan bright-white conditions (with backlight for night driving).

It will probably do those things for me come what may, but whether it is a commercial success remains to be seen, IMO (see my follow-up post on Zauruszone under "Why the Z will remain a niche product")

Sharp has a lot of work to do. Will they do it? I don't know. It is too bad that thing has been just a time suck for you. FWIW, Sharp does say that a 2.3x ROM for the D model is on the way, and if you perhaps haven't seen the zauruszone/sourceforge troubleshooting posts, maybe there's some joy there for you. Interested to hear if you have any luck. PM me if I can be of any help.

#93759 - 10/07/2002 08:29 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

and was able to find it on that thing

Actually, empeg.comms.net reformatted pretty nicely under Opera to fit the Z's screen real estate. Using the on-screen and hardware keyboards wasn't *too* painful, either, though I don't think I'd choose to type at length on the Z when I have a real keyboard within reach!

#93760 - 10/07/2002 10:36 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
beaker
addict

Yeah I have posted on zauruszone but haven't had a lot of luck with getting any help. It's already gone back to Sharp once because it had to be factory reset.

When I first tried to upgrade to v1.13 from the supplied v1.02 the unit died completely. It wouldn't even power up. When I first contacted support, Stuart (I think that was his name) said that he'd only ever heard of one other z doing this and that was on a test bed before release. After quite a few phone calls back and forth he said that since I first contacted them they'd had a few more doing the same thing. He had talked it through with his colleagues and the common factor seemed to be that we were all using large CF cards (128meg in my case). He arranged for it to be collected, repaired and delivered back to me within 2 days (excellent service - just like empeg). He suggested that when I get it back to try a 32meg CF card.

A couple of months down the line I bought a 32meg card and tried again. The instructions said that both LEDs would illuminate but all I got was flashing LEDs. At least it didn't kill the z this time!! I've since tried lots of times and got the same thing. Eventually it did seem to start the upgrade. After about 2-1/2 minutes the LEDs extinguished (as per instructions) and a blank screen came up with the SHARP logo in Red in the centre and a flashing White block cursor in the bottom Right of the screen. I continued to follow the instructions and did a reset etc. When I powered up again all I got was the SHARP logo in Red again. From this state I couldn't power down using the On/Off button, I had to do a reset. I tried the upgrade a few more times with the 1.13 romimage with the same results. At this point I thought I'd try to go back to v1.02. At the point in the upgrade procedure when the LEDs extinguish, the Linux logo is displayed together with the following text:

INIT: version 2.78 booting
INIT: No inittab file found

Enter runlevel:

I have tried versions 1.02, 1.10, 1.11 and 1.13 (again) and they all do the same thing now. They appear to go through the update
process but at the end of it I just get the Linux logo with the text and prompting me to enter a runlevel below it.

I think it's about time I phoned support again.

Thanks for your offer of help. I might need it!!
I'll keep you posted.

#93761 - 10/07/2002 12:02 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: beaker]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I think it's about time I phoned support again.

Wow. I think you are going to get elected poster child for Zaurus Evil Badness. It sounds like Sharp has been somewhat responsive, but that's little joy if the thing has never been usable. Yes, I see a fair number of threads on the sourceforge lists about problems with various SD/CF cards/brands sizes and with removable media filesystem/removal issues; methinks I got very lucky with the Memorex 128 CF card I got for the 5000d originally.

It's a hard row to hoe given that the 5000d was a developer/prerelease product, but given the complete lack of usability you've experienced (while essentially playing by the rules), I would keep hammering support in the hopes that some brilliant individual decides it would be less resource-intensive to exchange you a 5500. Chances of that? I'd say very low, but you are in a crummy spot, otherwise. Wish I had more to offer!

#93762 - 10/07/2002 12:46 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
The company I work for I believe is to be providing a wireless back end for those who choose to equip a Zaurus with wireless connectivity. I had the opportunity to play with the device before they were available here in the US - maybe it will be a Blackberry killer.

#93763 - 10/07/2002 16:37 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
beaker
addict

Thanks for your obvious sympathy for my plight. Unfortunately these downers are all part of life I suppose. I'll contact support again tomorrow. Maybe I'll suggest exchanging it for a 5500. Like you say though, the chances of them actually doing that for me are pretty slim.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted on any developments.

#93764 - 10/07/2002 21:39 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: beaker]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Like you say though, the chances of them actually doing that for me are pretty slim.

If I wanted to improve my chances, I don't think I 'd raise the idea directly. In true passive-aggressive fashion, I'd just make a consistent, amiable, time-consuming pain-in-the-ass of myself until *they* got that bright idea themselves.

Y'know, success and bright ideas are like farts....that whole thing.

#93765 - 10/07/2002 21:48 Zirst Paurus Fost! Re: Sharp Zaurus [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
That or you could do what a good friend of mine did when they screwed up (several times screwed up) his pre-order for a (then) cutting edge Visor. He looked up the main office number from SEC filings, called and very politely and firmly asked to speak to the president and then lit into him. Presto, free Visor Fedexed. It takes a certain personality to pull this off however...

-Zeke